gen 1 engine overhaul

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WC Hart

Reaction score
hello yall bill here. im trying to get some info on someone east of the texas who does overhaul on gen 1 engine. any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated

trans works fine, probobly new cluch and anything else that would be found to be replaced when the cases are split

The cases can remail together for replacing anything of the clutch, including the clutch basket, but that's usually only something needing to be done on high-mileage or severely-abused dragstrip bikes.

Second gear, shift forks, and the shift drum are some reasons to split the cases.

hello yall bill here. im trying to get some info on someone east of the texas who does overhaul on gen 1 engine. any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated
When you say 'overhaul' can you explain what you mean by that i.e. What issues are you trying to solve and what do you anticipate needs to be done?

I was going to ask the same thing? Why you thought it needed rebuilding. They don't even make their optimum power until they get 50-60k miles and then are still making more power then a new motor at 100k miles in most cases.

So do you think that's true that these motors on the first gen don't reach max power until they hit maybe 50,000 miles, I'm just saying because mine has 4800 on it for an 85, yes that's right 4800

^^^ the rate you're riding you'll be in your mid 90s before all the horses are unleashed. LOL

When you say 'overhaul' can you explain what you mean by that i.e. What issues are you trying to solve and what do you anticipate needs to be done?
the motor is making a knocking sound on the right side and after a couple of miles it won’t keep running without keeping the RPM above 4k. motor has not been abused and has 34k on it. what do you think?

I was going to ask the same thing? Why you thought it needed rebuilding. They don't even make their optimum power until they get 50-60k miles and then are still making more power then a new motor at 100k miles in most cases.
see my response to max

If it spun a bearing then it is not going to be rebuildable (in all practical sense). The main thrust surfaces are machined into the case and not a replaceable surface. The saddles get distorted and then a rebuild doesn't last very long. So, you COULD rebuild it but you'd be pissing money away. That's provided it did spin a bearing which you would need to pull the pan to verify (which can be done in the frame when you get the exhaust off).

If it spun a bearing then it is not going to be rebuildable (in all practical sense). The main thrust surfaces are machined into the case and not a replaceable surface. The saddles get distorted and then a rebuild doesn't last very long. So, you COULD rebuild it but you'd be pissing money away. That's provided it did spin a bearing which you would need to pull the pan to verify (which can be done in the frame when you get the exhaust off).
good info. so assuming the worst what do you do a whole motor replacement

Yes that is the choice to make if the damage is extensive as mentioned.

I had a Norton 850 before I got my Max it was running great and as much as I like my Max I wish I had my Commando now.

Back