Gen 2 chain drive.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chainednitromaxx

Reaction score
I have only heard of one gen2 vmax with chain drive that was done by Mad Max. Is there anyone else know of this done. If I ever move to a Gen 2, I would want a chain drive.

I have only heard of one gen2 vmax with chain drive that was done by Mad Max. Is there anyone else know of this done. If I ever move to a Gen 2, I would want a chain drive.

Don't know anyone else doing it.......unfortunately. Although I'm very happy with shaft drive, changing to chaindrive would make the bike a real beast.

Anyone that wants to drag race the Gen 2 would make huge gains with all of the weight that the shaft drive components add, removed. Huge weight savings and obviously being able to change the gearing would make a big difference.

My buddy ran 9.40's on his Gen 2 that was stock except for a pipe, intake and tune....... stock mufflers and foot shifting. With a chain conversion and maybe a lowering kit he would be knocking on 8's IMO. He was turning those times with a best 60 footer of 1.55.

Steve (Jedi) said he would convert the engine if I wanted to send him a set of cases. I might do this in this coming year depending on a few things. Got one large final bill to pay off and then will be looking to add a gen 2 to the shop inventory.

Need something to do engine experiments with.

Would love to have chain drive just don't like the price lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

One of the big reasons I want chain drive on the gen2 is traction !!!! I have talked to some gem 2 owners and what I am getting is that it does not hook on the street with tires that are available in 18inch. Don't care nothing about the 18 inch slick since u can not run them on the street. If I was to put a 17 rim on a gem 2 then it would be to step gearing with 17 rim in my opinion. I went thru this with my gen1 when I had 17 rim with big bore kit. The main reason I went to chain was to get my gearing back for more street use ( not drag racing ). First gear was useless. It was time to shift before i could really get going. I tried the taller gearing unit that MTN motto sports had but still was not the fix. 17 inch rim is were all the good rubber is at.

The braking and handling would big a big perk as well. The R 1 rims on mine made it feel like a different bike. Cravy on handling etc. More perk for chain on street then at drag strip

Anyone got a picture of an exploded view of the engine?
I'd love to have a look and figure it out how to make the conversion.

I've got a pair of cases laying on the bench and will try to get pics later today. Here's what I have currently on the computer. **UPDATE - Added pics of the bare cases.

For the 17" wheels I think it will simply be a matter of making the cush drive to convert any R1 wheel to fit. I just need to get the info to Steve so we can get it made.

Attachments

• Gen 1 vs Gen 2 Trans.jpg
    Gen 1 vs Gen 2 Trans.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20141015_170811_401.jpg
    IMG_20141015_170811_401.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20160101_103336579.jpg
    IMG_20160101_103336579.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20160101_103344417.jpg
    IMG_20160101_103344417.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
I have a bking and I miss my shaft drive vmax. The chain need to be adjusted every time I rip on the bike.other than that I like the bike alot.

Vmax Mike. I had the same problem for a long time on my chained VMax but got one of the latest updated chains from EK in 530 and it's does not stretch as much as the old EK I had before

I've got a pair of cases laying on the bench and will try to get pics later today. Here's what I have currently on the computer. **UPDATE - Added pics of the bare cases.

For the 17" wheels I think it will simply be a matter of making the cush drive to convert any R1 wheel to fit. I just need to get the info to Steve so we can get it made.

It so far looks straight forward as it appears similar to the gen 1.
I think the cush drive will be easy to sort out.

Back