Gen 2 Clutch Fluid Flush

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

child_of_fire

Reaction score
Does anybody know what the interval is for flushing clutch fluid in the maintenance schedule and also is it is straightforward as it looks?

From the Owner's Manual...seems like it would happen every two years with the called for rebuild of all of the various hydraulic cylinders.

• Hydraulic brake and clutch systems
• After disassembling the brake or clutch master cylinders, caliper cylinders or clutch release cylinder,
always change the fluid. Regularly check the brake and clutch fluid levels and fill the reservoirs as
required.
• Replace the oil seals on the inner parts of the brake or clutch master cylinders, caliper cylinders and
clutch release cylinder every two years.
• Replace the brake and clutch hoses every four years or if cracked or damaged.

I don't agree with the service manual spec of completely rebuilding brake/clutch systems & replacing every seal. It's not necessary. If you do the maintenance, changing the fluid every few years the seals will be fine. Hell, I've bought many a bike that looked like the never had the fluids changed & the parts still functioned after a fluid change. Yes, to answer the OP's question, it's fairly straightforward but the if you don't reverse bleed you'll need to keep close watch on the fluid in the master cylinder reservoir. It's tiny, not a lot of volume so it'll go dry quick.

I don't agree with the service manual spec of completely rebuilding brake/clutch systems & replacing every seal. It's not necessary. If you do the maintenance, changing the fluid every few years the seals will be fine. Hell, I've bought many a bike that looked like the never had the fluids changed & the parts still functioned after a fluid change. Yes, to answer the OP's question, it's fairly straightforward but the if you don't reverse bleed you'll need to keep close watch on the fluid in the master cylinder reservoir. It's tiny, not a lot of volume so it'll go dry quick.
Completely agree in that it's overkill for regular maintenance and likely not needed in all but the most neglected of bikes...my assumption was that if you're 'rebuilding' hydraulic cylinders every two years then you're also flushing/replacing the fluids, so it seemed a reasonable shot at the factory's recommended change interval.

Completely agree in that it's overkill for regular maintenance and likely not needed in all but the most neglected of bikes...my assumption was that if you're 'rebuilding' hydraulic cylinders every two years then you're also flushing/replacing the fluids, so it seemed a reasonable shot at the factory's recommended change interval.

A reasonable shot? Not sure what you mean by this...

A reasonable shot? Not sure what you mean by this...
There is no stated interval for clutch fluid flush/replacement in the Owner's or Service Manuals...figure if they have you rebuilding the cylinders every two years they'd also expect fluid replacement. Seemed reasonable to 'extrapolate' that every two years would then be the 'recommended' interval.

Ahhh, got it. Yeah, rebuilding obviously means the fluid is changed. But they could have suggested a fluid change...most people won't even do that & the likelihood they'll change seals at that interval is even more remote.

Latest posts

Back