GEN1 Final drive?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmax2extreme

Reaction score
I hear a lot about changing up the rear gearing to a venture or other alike setup to lower the RPM's down 500+ on the high end?

Has anyone used the RMSportmax.com RS-max rear end gears?

Suggestions of what to do is greatly appreciated since I am about to add some 17" wheels with radials and just looking for the rear gearing setup.

Thanks in advance.....

What size tire are you going to run. My 17" tire is around 0.8" shorter than OEM. It did raise rpms a bit but nothing outrageous.

John swaps the vmax gears with venture and vise vesa and then markets the longer gearing to us and shorter to the venture guys. Sounds like a win win. Only customers I have ever heard a review from was on a venture site. No complaints from what I've seen.

If it were me, id just buy a venture diff from ebay. The right year will bolt right on. A bit newer and you need to install a shock stud. Newer than that is shock stud and blank cover for speedo sensor.

I have them as well for outright purchase (or we can work on our trade deals).

Sean

What years are direct bolt on to the VMAX? I see venture 1200 and 1300 final drives on ebay.....not too fond of how the 1200 final drive casings look. I am using 17" rims with radials. I also heard that when you use the venture final drives you need to drill and tap new shock mounts? Is that true?

Mike

What size tire are you going to run. My 17" tire is around 0.8" shorter than OEM. It did raise rpms a bit but nothing outrageous.

John swaps the vmax gears with venture and vise vesa and then markets the longer gearing to us and shorter to the venture guys. Sounds like a win win. Only customers I have ever heard a review from was on a venture site. No complaints from what I've seen.

If it were me, id just buy a venture diff from ebay. The right year will bolt right on. A bit newer and you need to install a shock stud. Newer than that is shock stud and blank cover for speedo sensor.

What years are direct bolt on to the VMAX? I see venture 1200 and 1300 final drives on ebay.....not too fond of how the 1200 final drive casings look. I am using 17" rims with radials. I also heard that when you use the venture final drives you need to drill and tap new shock mounts? Is that true?

Mike

I think if you get the right year the hole for the shock mount is there already - it was on the one I bought on fleaBay for my '86 a few years ago.

It does reduce the rpm by about 500 for every gear. I enjoyed it on my '86 as I did a lot of highway miles. It makes it a tad slower off the go but then each gear becomes taller so it actually feels faster when boosting in the first 3 gears :)

Mine had the stud and just was a direct swap-out. Easy. Unfortunately, don't remember what year it was.. :confused2:

I love the change and will never go back to the stock one as I don't race much. :biglaugh: I get 44 mpg during normal riding of about 60/40 highway/around town (not into V-Boost all the time).

Lube the splines well with correct grease when swapping.

Can't remember the yrs. that fit but when I had my 96 with a 17" rear wheel I bought one from yamaha Brand New that way I was able too keep the stock one for back up if anything ever happened , swap out was easy . Talk with Sean Morely he will have or know what you need.

86-93 is correct. Move over your shock stud or get a new one. We do normally have them on hand.

Sean

Back