Gen2 Gas Tank Removal

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup The video is above, 5.5ish hours. Told the RAATS guys and they were impressed for it takes that long with 2 guys doing it and they do it pretty often.

As for the shipping I know customs snared it for a bit. I clearly remember checking in with RAATS on the 4th week looking for some shipping info. They had more information on their side and it was sitting with US customs. Pretty sure it came over on a boat. Takes awhile... Patience is a virtue. I knew the wait time to the US was notoriously long so I ordered a good week before getting the bike. came in over a month after I had the bike. Believe it or not it beat the Vermont Registration since our DMV is closed, that took almost 2 months!

I am in trouble putting this tank in.. We have the whole ass end pulled off.. But can't get the new tank it.. it looks like this bracket with the studs is installed in the wrong place... we would need to get the cable bundle going to the ECU [you can see the gas line under the bundle] up like another 1-2" at that point I can't imagine anything would go back together!

Attachments

• FRAME.jpg
    FRAME.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 41
  • TANK MTG STUDS.jpg
    TANK MTG STUDS.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 39
I am in trouble putting this tank in.. We have the whole ass end pulled off.. But can't get the new tank it.. it looks like this bracket with the studs is installed in the wrong place... we would need to get the cable bundle going to the ECU [you can see the gas line under the bundle] up like another 1-2" at that point I can't imagine anything would go back together!
Anyone else have a photo of that end of the tank? They must be hand made. If there is no fixture in the fab process, welding that at the bottom instead of the top is a horrible mistake.

We got it in.. Turns out those studs are for anchoring the old heat shield.. The tank actually slips in between the 2 cast bosses you see in my pic Frame, Below those studs was a rubber pad. No Way it was fitting between those bosses with the rubber pad.. so that is gone.. Lots of cables to mess with, still have to try to tie up wires and connectors and make it look decent. It was a big job.. Total is about 10 hr for me.. A big part of that 10 hrs [over 2 days] was the time wresting with the frame and tank going back in..

There was one issue that really was a big PIA and we had to really ram it in.. On the tool kit side the extra tank goes into that area. Well that portion of the tank was not positioned properly. We got it in like I said but it was a battle getting the frame back in.. I'll send a pic tomorrow.. And will be complaining to the vendor.. If it was off even a few thou more it would have been a NO GO..

We got it in.. Turns out those studs are for anchoring the old heat shield.. The tank actually slips in between the 2 cast bosses you see in my pic Frame, Below those studs was a rubber pad. No Way it was fitting between those bosses with the rubber pad.. so that is gone.. Lots of cables to mess with, still have to try to tie up wires and connectors and make it look decent. It was a big job.. Total is about 10 hr for me.. A big part of that 10 hrs [over 2 days] was the time wresting with the frame and tank going back in..

There was one issue that really was a big PIA and we had to really ram it in.. On the tool kit side the extra tank goes into that area. Well that portion of the tank was not positioned properly. We got it in like I said but it was a battle getting the frame back in.. I'll send a pic tomorrow.. And will be complaining to the vendor.. If it was off even a few thou more it would have been a NO GO..
Please share all the pics you can.

Nicely done. I was worry for you.
Can't wait when is my turn to install.... o_O
I am reading 2 sets of documentations over and over.

My MAX gas 50K mi and it was a hard decision. I just got tired of always being the guy asking to stop for gas, and came SO close to running out too many times.. Now I'll be at about the same range as the rest of my group.. I'll be taking a few test rides close to home until I feel confident that it is 100% as reliable as it was before the tank swap.

My MAX gas 50K mi and it was a hard decision. I just got tired of always being the guy asking to stop for gas, and came SO close to running out too many times.. Now I'll be at about the same range as the rest of my group.. I'll be taking a few test rides close to home until I feel confident that it is 100% as reliable as it was before the tank swap.
Jerry, you nailed it with that one. My bike is referred to as the Beast in the group. And the joke is that I cannot ever pass a gas station. One of the guys has a big BMW with an 8 gallon tank getting nearly 50 MPG. He routinely talks about building an inflight refueling system to transfer gas from the Beamer to the MAX.

My thing is that I prefer to ride alone with NO passenger or at most one other motorcycle. To me driving is a personal and maybe spiritual experience and I will not allow any one to alter that personal experience just simply to please a group or other bikers. I have also found through the years that group rides can get very dangerous for several reasons and the relaxing experience of the ride is greatly diminished. Stopping for gas every 70 miles or so is no big deal for me. :)

I have been riding with 2 of my friends who has R1 and R6. Every 50 miles or so they will jokingly ask do I need gas.....

I totally understand about the stopping so frequently with my 2013 MAX that has been fully high performance modified with a 240 on the backside. I ride with a good friend that has a 2020 Goldwing. We are both 61 yrs. old, but I'm not ready for the "Rocking Chair" quite yet!!! Besides, it used to be I couldn't pass up a pretty girl, now a days I can't pass up a bathroom and/or a Dairy Queen.

I started taking apart the bike, but had to stop bc 2 stripped bolts....:eek:

20201129_112540.jpg

Last edited:
I hate those dam Allen heads. The material is so soft they round really easily. Here in N. East with the salt everything gets corroded. I ride year round for the most part.

I have started swapping every SS Allen to a SS hex bolt, as I work on the bike. Not as pretty but much easier to deal with.

I hate those dam Allen heads. The material is so soft they round really easily. Here in N. East with the salt everything gets corroded. I ride year round for the most part.

I have started swapping every SS Allen to a SS hex bolt, as I work on the bike. Not as pretty but much easier to deal with.
How much are you paying for SS Hex Bolts? Why do they not look as good? I would have thought that SS would be real attractive.

Back