Hard starting

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soovmaxguy

Reaction score
I have read alot of posts on here about hard starting Vmax's.Mine is one of them. With the bike off it shows 12.2 volts and runnning shows 13.4.I have did the crimp fix and run new ground and heavier gaauge starter wire.when the bike is hot it will barely roll over but put the charger on, it starts with the greatest of ease.The battery is new but wondering if I need a better one or to change the starter it has the 2 brush style.Not sure what to try next.Thanks for any help

Battery should show at least 12.65 volts when off. At idle, it should be between 12.8 and 13.2 volts. At 5000 rpms it should be above 14 volts.

My bike used to do the same thing - I spliced an extra 16 gauge wire from the output of the r/r to the battery + . It's been fine on hot starts ever since. IMHO the factory harness cannot carry the proper volume of current needed to FULLY charge the battery. When the bikes are brand new & there is no corrosion or resistance in the wiring, the battery charges fine with no issues. After 10 + years (depending on local conditions of course) the harness quality degrades & the battery can not be charged to full capacity any more. That's why it cranks right up as soon as you put a charger on it. The starter & battery are fine - just not being used to full capacity. Charging systems seem to be the weakest link in any of the bikes I've ever owned. Just my .02...

Hello,

A cold V-Max will not start easily if the battery is not fully charged.
As MALEKO said earlier, you should have at least 12.65, preferably more volts in the battery.

If you have properly charged battery, the Max will start easily. One more point is that if you don't have appropriate charge there and you keep trying to start it, the likelihood of getting the starter clutch springs damaged will be much greater - being only a question of time. This problem can be recognized from the rattling noice when you a starting the engine (meanwhile the engine will not turn).

Regards,

AT

I put a venture regulator on mine and charging is great. I also recomend the PC680 battery as a replacement. No water to monitor or add and it has great cranking power.

Jim

i've had the original stock battery still, use a tender, never had an issue.

I replaced the original 2 brush starter with the newer 4 brush design. The bike starts like a new bike hot or cold. i can't believe the difference Thanks Guys

Latest posts

Back