Harleys makes you a tough guy...really?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah they really do push the "Made in America" thing a bit, but as of right now they are the only production sportbike manufacturer in the USA. The hp is a bit low for a 600cc sportbike, but I do like the torque coming out of corners etc. Nice thing is that the V-twin probably pulls like a beast from off idle to redline. Might just have to go look at one just cause I can. Would definitely want the Brembo front brake package, everything else is just fluff..... now back to our original programing.... Some HD owners let the bike define them and they are usually the arseholes.

All this HD reminiscing has me thinking about a fellow "sporting" a brand new looking 1200 Sportster that split lanes on a conjested, in-town 4 lane just to blow past me while riding two up one day. He buzzed me so close, in a lane I hadn't offered to share, I felt the wind on my elbow and for some reason my blood pressure popped off the chart.

I chased him down through traffic and a few blocks later, when the hwy opened up, out of town, I proceeded to get in a pissing match with him. Two miles later, he let up on his throttle slightly, sat more upright and checked his mirror to view the damaged HE THOUGHT HE HAD WROUGHT UPON THE POOR RICE BURNER. I was in the lane next to him, just slightly back of him, and in his blind spot grinning ear to ear -riding double on my 86 Venture Royale.

For some reason, the poor HD couldn't go any faster than 120mph. It sure was impressive for noise level at that speed though. I couldn't have passed him either, the Venture was out of throttle at 120mph. I always wanted a rematch when on the Max, but how do you tell a disbeliever about "your other bike being a Vmax" when he really didn't care anyway?

I agree, there are dirtbags out there. They ride/drive about every make and model, both two wheeled and four. Have fun with them when you can. Ignore them when you can. Turn off and get the heck out of there if staying might result in jail time for the survivor. :biglaugh:

Read a review in some motorcycle mag not too long ago about the "new" Indian Chief. In a nutshell, it was a decent entry to the "heavyweight cruiser" market, but didn't stand out in any meaningful way. Engine was slow(even by cruiser standards) and vibrated at high RPMs. The test rider indicated it already started leaking oil from the base gasket on the first ride...not a good sign for reliability.

Americans just can't seem to make a honest to goodness high performance bike. The Fischers seem to be a step in the right direction, but they use a Korean engine that wouldn't even keep up with a 600 class sportbike.

I guess the markets are totally different. American bikes are advertised as a source of "freedom", with idyllic shots of a couple bad-ass looking buddies cruising down an open desert highway on a pair of shiny new Harleys.

Japanese bikes are advertised for their reliability and performance. Their commercials show a motoGP bike taking a corner at 50 degrees.

According to Google Knol as of 2009, HD still holds #1 in the market share, claiming 28% of all new bike sales. Honda is right behind it at 25%, and Yamaha(Star) is in third with 17%. Then Suzuki with 13%, Kawi with 11%, and KTM with 2%. Triumph, Ducati, and BMW each claim 1%.

So for every Hardly Driveable that hits the street, two Japanese machines do as well. I don't believe I've ever seen an Asian person on a bike, so you can assume the market is 99% Americans, and two thirds of them choose a Japanese bike over a domestic.

Either Victory is less than one percent, or for some reason wasn't included.

The bike might be under-powered, but I would have liked to see it in person. :biglaugh:

Attachments

• fischer.jpg
    fischer.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 65
Since this seems like the right place to be dumpin' on HD, here's a well known Harley animated gif.
harleyspin.gif

I knew something wasn't quite right when I first saw it, so I made a few minor adjustments...
hardlyspin.gif

Since this seems like the right place to be dumpin' on HD, here's a well known Harley animated gif.
harleyspin.gif

I knew something wasn't quite right when I first saw it, so I made a few minor adjustments...
hardlyspin.gif

thats awesome, I'm stealing it and using in as my avatar on another non bike forum!!!

Not to bash people but why do people think when they buy a Harley they are now tough guys? I find this very funny and weird as well. I just had a run in with a fellow at a gas station and he proceded to tell me what a peice of shit rice rocket I had and people like me are ruining the country... really? Well I am no push over and I told him if he was so sure my bike was shit he would not mind putting up his title and see where the rubber meets the road. Well he kept running his mouth off and I finally told him that we could go behind the building and settle this like a man or he could shut the fuck up and go home with just a bruised ego ( His girl was with him) So he left without any problem what I dont get this guy just got punked trying to be tough in front of his girl why?
Anybody have stories like this or do I just attract douche bags???

May be he should take a look in the mirror. He is also ruining the county, anyone as of lately looked at where alot of Harley's parts are being made? What a total Jack A.

G

I know the stigma with Harleys...

But I love the night rod. I wouldn't buy one - but I just like it :)

I know the stigma with Harleys...

But I love the night rod. I wouldn't buy one - but I just like it :)

I've never really noticed much difference between ALL Harley models - they pretty much all look alike when viewed from my rear view mirrors. :ummm:

You ran into one of the assholes who feels the need to be "vocal" about his overpriced butt-jewerely. While assholes ride every brand, they do seem to gravitate toward Harleys. People just don't feel like a "badass" riding a Honda, something they capitalized on years ago. Remember the "You meet the nicest people on a Honda" ads?

Harleys (and their riders) are all show and no go. They'll "talk the talk" all day long, but when it comes to action they all pussy out, because they know those "piece of shit rice rockets" are cheaper, built better, faster, and will still be on the road long after the Harley's in the scrapyard.

One of the people I ride with every so often has a Fatboy, and while he's definetly a nice guy, he definetly bought the bike for the image and lifestyle that accompanies it. He's owned it for 7 years now and doesn't even have 3000 miles on it. Takes it to the local bike nights and local rallies, that's about it.

Unless you see a Vrod with a turbo hanging off the side, you have nothing to fear from any HD.

As for SOA, I don't get it. You know how people say "action figures" are dolls for boys? I see SOA as a soap opera for men. Every episode is 90% touchy-feely talk about nothing. No action, no ass kicking, no car chases, no explosions. Lots and lots of talking. Boooooooring. I know I'm in the minority here, but honestly the show bores me to death, despite really trying to like it. I guess when I first saw it I was hoping for a new-age Knight Rider-esque show or something.

Harley rider here..... and you are sooo right. They seem to stay in their own c lick. I will personaly tell you that many of my friends atitudes "male and female" changed after getting the bike,...and it wasnt for the better.I couldnt stand the harley thing any more "20 years of it" and am selling mine and buying a Max. All my harley T shirts are now shop rags.Sold the coat too. A bike shouldnt change who you are. Ive owned many bikes over the years and if I had to change my personalty to every bike Ive owned.....I would have multiple personal disorder LOL.:biglaugh: My riding buddy just sold his harley for the same reasons, and he bought a 2010 Triumph Bonnievile.
PS..not all Harleys are slow...theres some really fast ones around here...11 seconds worth.

Harley rider here..... and you are sooo right. They seem to stay in their own c lick. I will personaly tell you that many of my friends atitudes "male and female" changed after getting the bike,...and it wasnt for the better.I couldnt stand the harley thing any more "20 years of it" and am selling mine and buying a Max. All my harley T shirts are now shop rags.Sold the coat too. A bike shouldnt change who you are. Ive owned many bikes over the years and if I had to change my personalty to every bike Ive owned.....I would have multiple personal disorder LOL.:biglaugh: My riding buddy just sold his harley for the same reasons, and he bought a 2010 Triumph Bonnievile.
PS..not all Harleys are slow...theres some really fast ones around here...11 seconds worth.
Ya, they be around. I knew a 10sec Harley Sportster. thats all it would do, drag race, but the damn thing was a 10sec Harley. Oh wait, my Max is a 10sec bike stock. haha.
Its real easy to see who is just a RIDER of motorcycles on a Harley, or if there poser retards who bought there "biker" image for 20k.

thats awesome, I'm stealing it and using in as my avatar on another non bike forum!!!
Help yourself, EvilD, I'm into sharing everything except my bike and my wife...plus, I grabbed the nut, bolt and washer images from a parts microfiche--I think it was from the Dennis Kirk site. I also don't think there's anything wrong with Harleys or their riders, per se. Just not my type of ride. I'm sure the VRod has a decent engine, being it was designed by Porsche...

Ya, they be around. I knew a 10sec Harley Sportster. thats all it would do, drag race, but the damn thing was a 10sec Harley. Oh wait, my Max is a 10sec bike stock. haha.
Its real easy to see who is just a RIDER of motorcycles on a Harley, or if there poser retards who bought there "biker" image for 20k.

Yes Freerider...your right. In order to have a really fast sportster, you have to sacrifice alot. An 11 second harley is not very streetable, and a 10 second bike is strictly for 1/4 track. Although mine runs 12's ,..its still very user friendly,..if I get any more radical with the engine, then I run into problems o the street.Thats what draws me near to the Max,..reliable, drivable,plus drag style power on command,...the best of both worlds. You must give the sportster credit although,...thats just 2 cylinders on a single crank pin, with an average 6000rpm red line making unreall bottom end tourge and running 12's , or 11's. That is very impressive when you consider the 90's Vmax takes 4 cylinders and twice the rpm to do the same thing. Unfortunatly the sportster does not handle high speeds very well "busy and shaky"and nerve shattering.....Thats where the max shines.

You won't think the HD's low-range torque is anything special once you ride a Max. It's got a strong "around town" pull and of course an explosive top end, with the middle highway speeds(4-6000) being rather flat.

The Max can be stable at high speeds, if the bike feels like it. It's one of the most common issues around here...high speed wobble. People have ventured literally dozens of possible causes and fixes, but some bikes just don't want to hold a straight line much about 120 or so. The problem tends to be more severe/common on older or higher mileage bikes, but not always. Though after riding a friend's softail, I definetly can relate to the "shaky" feeling, except it kicks in there by about 80 or so, and whenever the front brake is on.

My '97 with 17k miles is typically good up to about 130 before a slight weave starts to appear. Usually backing off the gas a bit, waiting for it to stop, then getting back on solves it.

The most common "culprits" on a lot of bikes are
-loose head bearings(just tighten the head bolt, or the "furbur fix")
-loose swingarm bolts/bearings.
-Bad/ mismatched tires (switching to radials always seems to help)

The lucky few who have made their Max ride like on rails can reach speeds only limited by the bike's gearing. With the Venture pumpkin, you can see north of 150.

That's why it's kinda fun to poke at HD riders. You can buy a 20 year old used Vmax for a couple grand that will smoke anything HD is currently producing, and quite handily at that. The Vrod doesn't even come close, by second gear it's over.

Since you said you're looking for a used Max, in general newer is better. While the Max hasn't changed much, Yamaha did work out some bugs over the years, with several updates for handling/stability put in for the '93 year, and a transmission flaw fixed for '00(though that's an easy fix on any year).

Thanks RAWARRIOR. Well I got the 85 Max,..paid $4200. Has 28,000 kilometers. Needs brake pads,front fork seals and battery. I took the cabs off and cleaned the silt and dirt out of them. " easy enough to do" Runs farley well, but Im taking it to my buddy to get the cabs synced and set.He is a journeyman certified Yamaha mechanic. He's great with all things Yamaha.SOOOO,..what do I think of the Vmax.......It handles great.Turns well.seems to be nicley balancedm, smooth suspension.Very nice "fit and finish" Very easy to work on. Comfortable riding position. Switch to reserve tank on the go.."I already had to do that"No vibration on the highway.

Things I dont like.......When shifting at high rpm, there is a little bit of a gear click when I shift. Is this normal. My buddies XS 1100 did the same thing ,and was really bad shifting into 2nd. I dont like all this talk about "THE DEATH WOBBLE" Why make a bke capable of 150 mph and stick it in a frame that cant do over what a Harley Sportster can do. Some one really droped the ball here! The company is well aware of this wobble,..yet has done nothing about it in all these years of production ? Not liking this. I bought this bike because it was suppose to be all "this and that" I will garuntee you,..if this this bike wobbles any where near 100mph...its gone! Not very impressive low end tourge,..."a Harley thing"
Sold my sportster to my friend EDDY. He really likes it. Any way,..we took the bikes to the highway to day ,just to compare them " a fun race" I won!! But he smoked me till 50mph ! So we came back to town and did some zooming around. From light to light, he was stomping me "ARRRG" Those big bore kits and screamin eagle parts sure bring a sporty to life.
....Well I guess one bike cant be all things. I am not planing going back to Harley,.....if the max doesnt work out,..I think I'll get a Yamaha Raider. I was very impressed with it.

Back