Heat wraps - pipes

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Throttle

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone here has had / seen a first gen vmax with an exhaust system that is just heat wrapped pipes. Like what many people put on old school baggers and many hd's. I am just thinking black heat wrapped simple exhaust would look pretty good. A quick google image search of heat wrapped exhaust gives idea to what I am thinking. I search to try to find some Vmax s with a look similar but did not find anything. Just wondering....

I think there was a thread about this a couple weeks ago. Seems many here are of the opinion that it's just another way to destroy some perfectly good pipes by holding in water.

I think the look would be cool, but wrapping the stock pipes might be a bit of a chore based on the routing and the muffler section. Start and stop points would be odd, too, I think.

As with all things V-max, we must all please the mod monkey in a way we deem appropriate. You may find a way that you like and not care to ever see what happens under that wrap. Post pics if you do it, though. Others will benefit from your experience.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I was looking at it recently. My goal was to protect my belly pan which starts to show signs of burn due to the header. On the other hand with the temperature here, the engine area gets super hot too.

I read that some ends up damaging their pipe overtime when it's not properly installed and when the pipe is regular steel. But no issue reported on stainless pipes.

So I was thinking about getting those lava rock wraps with a gold color but still didn't make my mind yet.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

my brother did it, i'll see if he can chime in.

pic:

534692_561097526923_1609556054_n.jpg

garrett your bros bikes looking good!!!!

Throttle? yukon eh....not too many of us around there with vmax's?????
im sure you have ran into me at some point...

Correct me if im wrong guys but arent the stock head pipes double walled.....might not be worth wrapping it unless just for cool factor and the monkey.....
ceramic coated sure is nice also.....

I'm going to get mine sand blasted, spray them, then wrap them. Will post pics when its done.

The bad side is if you rub the pipes on the ground it will fray and tear the wrap and it will go to hell quickly.

Sean

Well I wasn't necessarily talking about keeping stock pipes. More like simple straight pipes with heat wraps if that makes any sense. Along the lines of gamorg's bros bike. I will post a pic when I get a chance.

And Tugla, I am out of Yukon, Oklahoma. Although I did live in Ontario for a bit back in the day.

Well I wasn't necessarily talking about keeping stock pipes. More like simple straight pipes with heat wraps if that makes any sense. Along the lines of gamorg's bros bike. I will post a pic when I get a chance.

And Tugla, I am out of Yukon, Oklahoma. Although I did live in Ontario for a bit back in the day.

I noticed my bro posted a pic of my bike haha. Sean is right, esp. with my Hindle exhaust the second pipe is so low it rubs on a trailer ramp. If you wrap your pipes I would plan on removing painting and re wraping every two to three years just to make sure they don't get to rusty. The best candidate for pipe wraps are those whose pipes aren't in great condition and really have nothing to lose. Mine where dented and rusted up pretty bad. I used VHT 2000 degree paint and cured in my powdercoating oven (can be cured on the bike as well) then wraped the pipes with DEI heat wrap then painted over them with the DEI high temp silicon spray which blacks out the wrap and seals it up. works really well and held up for a couple years.

didnt know there was a yukon in Oklahoma, good to know....

i found the best way or wrapping header wrap on pipes, especially on the bends is to soak the roll in water. its more manageable and makes for nice fit versos it all moving around on you while you wrap it.

its fun the first 50 or so miles when your pipes are smoking like crazy from all the moisture!

Wrapped mine about 5 years ago. I recently took the entire exhaust off and wrapped each pipe section individually. Much easier to fix if you do get a rip in the wrap. I like how it looks and it keeps some heat off you and the engine at lights and such. The titanium wrap is by far the easiest to work with but a little more expensive. Get the silicone spray to make the wrap last longer...it comes in multiple colors. Got some pics in my profile, you should be able to see the wrap in some of them.

Cheers,
Darren

Back