Heli-hoggin', takin' 'em out Texas style

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty McNeil

Reaction score
Holy shit this looks fun. Get's kinda stupid at the end with the airsoft or whatever shooting people, but the hoggin part is awesome.

http://www.vimeo.com/21181307

To those not familiar with the issue, Texas (and many other states) are being severely over run by wild "feral" hogs, resulting in devastation to the environment, fences, water holes and natural food sources for live stock and native game.

Feral hogs are simply domestic breeds run wild, they breed like rats, I've hunted them at night from a Ranger UTV with a spot light and shotgun, by "running up" on our deer feeders in surprise attacks, you can get a lot of them that way too.....Great fun, we eat as much as we can, and donate as much as they will accept to charities, but haul most to the gut pile.....

Trapping and relocation, or more stupidly in my mind, nuetering them as some have suggested is not effective.

Looks like fun Rusty! It is a growing problem in all of the U.S. and here in Michigan too. Michigan has legislation on the books that "allows for the opportunistic take of feral swine running at large in all counties in Michigan".
Here is a PDF of what the MDNR has reports on, so you know that there is a greater problem than this .pdf represents.
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/2009FSMap_324708_7.pdf

Good info, thanks!

Texas laws are such that anything not classed as a game animal,(or livestock or pet) or course can be taken any time, any where as long as other weapons, property, highway and trespass laws are adhered to. I'm not really sure about shooting from the sky tho' I thought it required a specific hard to get FAA premit but have heard there was some laws in session that they were trying to pass to loosen up on this. For sure they can be shot from any other moving vehicle as long as it's not a public road.

:confused2: That sh*t's against the law in Arizona. No shooting from vehicles of any type. Someone ought to shoot that asswipe in the helicopter, now that would be funny. This is the kind of video that gives guns and gun owners a bad name. Ha Ha, Spurs

:confused2: That sh*t's against the law in Arizona. No shooting from vehicles of any type. Someone ought to shoot that asswipe in the helicopter, now that would be funny. This is the kind of video that gives guns and gun owners a bad name. Ha Ha, Spurs
So you're happy that gun owners are put in a bad light?

I don't get it. What's wrong with shooting vermin from the air on private property? How does it differ from shooting them on the ground?:ummm:

I don't see how the legitimate use of a firearm for what is was designed for puts "gun owners" in a bad light? To be sure shooting animals is not "palatable" to everyone but none the less it is what most weapons are designed for, even if they look scary, I don't know a single deer lease I've ever been on that doesn't keep assault weapons handy for nuisance animals, they are faster and more efficient than a good old deer rifle, and for sure is more palatable to me than a hydraulic bolt gun to the head which is the way most of our beef used to get put down before the mad cow scare (destroys the integrity of the brain cavity allowing the nueral disease components to get into the blood stream, no longer used)

Shooting paper gets old after a while....killing moving targets that need to be killed is just good old fashioned fun in my opinion.....

Shooting game animals from vehicles in Texas is illegal of course, and any type of weapons discharge from a public roadway is illegal as well.....As well it should be.....

I grew up spotlighting Jack Rabbits out of the bed of a pick up at night, the farmers paid us for it.......Most fun I ever had with a gun.....

What the hell right does the gov't have to regulate weapons discharge on private property other than game animals? Which tehcnically belong to the state and is how the taking of is regulated even on private property.

The guy in the Heli is just doing what has been done for decades but from the air and in much more efficient manner, Feral Hogs are completely out of hand in this state, it ain't like taking out coyotes and bobcats, which is also un-regulated but which in most cases I don't agree with since the population is pretty in check already.......in some cases coyotes can be pretty heavy in population but for the most part they prey on birds and rabbits,which are plentiful...... not live stock.......Leave 'em alone I say

BTW....There is NO federal land in Texas except for Big Bend National Park......... Texas joined the Union under "Treaty" in which un-titled land did not cede to the Feds like it did in almost every other state in the Union........and very little state land except for a few dozen state parks. Private property rights are an extremely strong tradition here. You want to hunt game animals, you gotta pay, not for the animal, which is illegal, but for the access to property...........

How do you feel about Arizona's open carry law ???

That looks like FUN!!!!!!!!!:punk:

Damn hogs is NASTY!!!

We don't have them here.......YET

I don't get it. What's wrong with shooting vermin from the air on private property? How does it differ from shooting them on the ground?:ummm:

I don't see how the legitimate use of a firearm for what is was designed for puts "gun owners" in a bad light? To be sure shooting animals is not "palatable" to everyone but none the less it is what most weapons are designed for, even if they look scary, I don't know a single deer lease I've ever been on that doesn't keep assault weapons handy for nuisance animals, they are faster and more efficient than a good old deer rifle, and for sure is more palatable to me than a hydraulic bolt gun to the head which is the way most of our beef used to get put down before the mad cow scare (destroys the integrity of the brain cavity allowing the nueral disease components to get into the blood stream, no longer used)

Shooting paper gets old after a while....killing moving targets that need to be killed is just good old fashioned fun in my opinion.....

Shooting game animals from vehicles in Texas is illegal of course, and any type of weapons discharge from a public roadway is illegal as well.....As well it should be.....

I grew up spotlighting Jack Rabbits out of the bed of a pick up at night, the farmers paid us for it.......Most fun I ever had with a gun.....

What the hell right does the gov't have to regulate weapons discharge on private property other than game animals? Which tehcnically belong to the state and is how the taking of is regulated even on private property.

The guy in the Heli is just doing what has been done for decades but from the air and in much more efficient manner, Feral Hogs are completely out of hand in this state, it ain't like taking out coyotes and bobcats, which is also un-regulated but which in most cases I don't agree with since the population is pretty in check already.......in some cases coyotes can be pretty heavy in population but for the most part they prey on birds and rabbits,which are plentiful...... not live stock.......Leave 'em alone I say

BTW....There is NO federal land in Texas except for Big Bend National Park......... Texas joined the Union under "Treaty" in which un-titled land did not cede to the Feds like it did in almost every other state in the Union........and very little state land except for a few dozen state parks. Private property rights are an extremely strong tradition here. You want to hunt game animals, you gotta pay, not for the animal, which is illegal, but for the access to property...........

How do you feel about Arizona's open carry law ???

:confused2: Hey, I've been hunting for 50 years and have had a concealed carry permit since they first were issued in Arizona. Are state has always been open carry and I have no problems with that. My point was some gun control nut will see movies like this and use it to promote taking our guns away. Spurs

Looks like an AR variant of some sort.

I know the camera is mounted on the gun itself but I want to know how the guy was aiming. It didn't look like he was shouldering it in a normal manner. Looked more like it was sitting in his lap as he aimed.

Wonder if that thing hanging off the rail on the right side was some sort of remote optical sight.

Looks like an AR variant of some sort.

I know the camera is mounted on the gun itself but I want to know how the guy was aiming. It didn't look like he was shouldering it in a normal manner. Looked more like it was sitting in his lap as he aimed.

Wonder if that thing hanging off the rail on the right side was some sort of remote optical sight.

I was wondering the same thing and figured that thing on the right had to be some optical camera as well....???

Maybe SpecOps can tell us..

Considering the speed and platform the guy was one heck of a shot.....

:confused2: Hey, I've been hunting for 50 years and have had a concealed carry permit since they first were issued in Arizona. Are state has always been open carry and I have no problems with that. My point was some gun control nut will see movies like this and use it to promote taking our guns away. Spurs

Hey, I apologize if my response was too strong or overkill...Sorry, I get carried away some times, especially when talking about guns, taxes or the Gov't.

My bad...

Feral Hogs are starting to become a problem in NY State, I want' to go out hunting but nothing close to me yet except for a few in Allegheny State Park which only allows hunting during hunting season, other wise the DEC said shoot as many as you want, with what ever you want when ever you want.

My guess on the guns is that, by the way the pigs dropped, they are AR's chambered in 450 Bushmaster, 458 SOCOM or 50 Beowulf. All 3 hit hard and are well loved by hog hunters, I want to get a upper in 458 SOCOM, it;s the most adaptable todifferent game, bullet choices range from 250 grains to 500 grains.

That heli shooting would be fun to do, but I would puke my guts out the first 30 second s in the air.

Feral Hogs are starting to become a problem in NY State, I want' to go out hunting but nothing close to me yet except for a few in Allegheny State Park which only allows hunting during hunting season, other wise the DEC said shoot as many as you want, with what ever you want when ever you want.

My guess on the guns is that, by the way the pigs dropped, they are AR's chambered in 450 Bushmaster, 458 SOCOM or 50 Beowulf. All 3 hit hard and are well loved by hog hunters, I want to get a upper in 458 SOCOM, it;s the most adaptable todifferent game, bullet choices range from 250 grains to 500 grains.

That heli shooting would be fun to do, but I would puke my guts out the first 30 second s in the air.

They are in NY?!?!?!?!?

OH CRAP!!!!!!!:bang head:

Will a 30/30 take them down??:ummm:

Hey, I apologize if my response was too strong or overkill...Sorry, I get carried away some times, especially when talking about guns, taxes or the Gov't.

My bad...

Rusty, No problem, have a good Memorial Day, Spurs:punk:

They are in NY?!?!?!?!?

Southern Tier below Syracuse is where most of the sightings have been. Yes a 30/30 will take them out. They recommend 44 mag and larger for hand guns and 243 or larger for rifles. I'm going to use use my 30.06 when i get to gettin on them.

They are in NY?!?!?!?!?

A 30/30 will put a hog down just fine. They are tough but not indestructible. The heart on a hog is farther forward and much lower than one on a deer. You should look for premium deep penetrating bullets. Some hollow points will expand too fast and not get enough penetration yielding single lung hits. Most likely lethal but it may result in a long tracking job. Put the shot directly into the shoulder and you should anchor it pretty well.

On my .44 Mag I prefer a heavy hard cast non expanding lead bullet. Hits like a freight train and keeps on going. I have yet to have one go more than 20 yards on a dead run before piling up.

A 30/30 will put a hog down just fine. They are tough but not indestructible. The heart on a hog is farther forward and much lower than one on a deer. You should look for premium deep penetrating bullets. Some hollow points will expand too fast and not get enough penetration yielding single lung hits. Most likely lethal but it may result in a long tracking job. Put the shot directly into the shoulder and you should anchor it pretty well.

On my .44 Mag I prefer a heavy hard cast non expanding lead bullet. Hits like a freight train and keeps on going. I have yet to have one go more than 20 yards on a dead run before piling up.

+1

I've taken a lot of deer with my .44 mag shooting 300gr. SJHP's and the wound pattern and channel is virtually in distinguishable from what my 7mm Mag does to them. Taken a few hogs too with it,....44Mag is a very competent round for game when well placed. Admittedly a 7mm Mag is probably overkill for shooting these undersized (in the body, not the antlers) 130-180lb Texas White Tail, but I love my single shot Browning Highwall and pretty much use it on everything but varmints or hogs, since I don't wanna screw it up when running around the deer lease at night at 40mph on a 4 wheeler........

Gotta love a moving target, what fun!

Rusty....for your 44, unless you roll your own, give the Double Tap 320 gr WFN hard cast a try (www.doubletapammo.com). Out of my Ruger SBH Hunter they are moving right around 1350 FPS and will allow me to knock out clay targets set on the ground at 75 yds.

They are just a bit on the .......er......"energetic" side and I don't think I would want to run them through a Smith but the Rugers just eat them up.

Yeah.....Texas whitetails......body of a German Shepard with a 180" rack :blink000:

Back