Heli-hoggin', takin' 'em out Texas style

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A 30/30 will put a hog down just fine. They are tough but not indestructible. The heart on a hog is farther forward and much lower than one on a deer. You should look for premium deep penetrating bullets. Some hollow points will expand too fast and not get enough penetration yielding single lung hits. Most likely lethal but it may result in a long tracking job. Put the shot directly into the shoulder and you should anchor it pretty well.

On my .44 Mag I prefer a heavy hard cast non expanding lead bullet. Hits like a freight train and keeps on going. I have yet to have one go more than 20 yards on a dead run before piling up.

Where in PA are you hunting them?

Dammit, now i want a 44 mag again.

When we hunt 'em at night when both the Hog and us (side by side UTV) are on the run I just do what my granddad told me when I asked him where to aim for when shooting turkeys with a rifle.......

"aim for the hog"

EvilD.....I don't hunt them in PA. A couple of my buddies and I make a trip down to Texas every year to hunt the "Poor mans cape buffalo"

I have heard that there is a breeding size heard out near Tioga (fugitives from the Tioga hunting ranch). Give it 10 years or so and we will have them all over the state.

Rusty... Runnin' and Gunin' is a boat load of fun. The 2nd hog I ever took was with my bow, hanging out the side of a Polaris Ranger bouncing through a field at about 30 mph. Took about a 20 yard hard quartering away shot and put the arrow just in front of the back leg and embedded the broadhead in the far side front shoulder. That big stinky bastard went another 70 yards before he did the "drunken stagger" and fell over dead.
hog-hunt-1-005.jpg

I imagine a lot of the wild boars are a product of escapee's from hunting preserves, that how they got started on the west end of the Upper Peninsular of Michigan. My brother wanted to hunt them with a .44 but he never got around to booking the hunt here in Michigan. A couple of his buddies at his gun club had him all fired up about it until they told him that a wounded pig chased them up a tree. The guide ended up putting the hog down.

EvilD.....I don't hunt them in PA. A couple of my buddies and I make a trip down to Texas every year to hunt the "Poor mans cape buffalo"

I have heard that there is a breeding size heard out near Tioga (fugitives from the Tioga hunting ranch). Give it 10 years or so and we will have them all over the state.

Rusty... Runnin' and Gunin' is a boat load of fun. The 2nd hog I ever took was with my bow, hanging out the side of a Polaris Ranger bouncing through a field at about 30 mph. Took about a 20 yard hard quartering away shot and put the arrow just in front of the back leg and embedded the broadhead in the far side front shoulder. That big stinky bastard went another 70 yards before he did the "drunken stagger" and fell over dead.
hog-hunt-1-005.jpg

Awesome picture, and awesome kill with a bow on the run....

That's not a feral hog is it??? Too big to be a javelina and looks sorta like a Russian Boar? Sometimes even the Feral ones confuse me tho when they get old, huge and ratty looking.....I've only seen a few Russian Boars in Texas, although they are around for sure......

That guy was 100% feral.

He was right around 350lbs.

Definitely a scrapper. Both tusks broken off and scars all over his flanks.

Hey, I apologize if my response was too strong or overkill...Sorry, I get carried away some times, especially when talking about guns, taxes or the Gov't.

My bad...

Just being realistic. Nothing wrong with that.

Should be heading down to TX, west of Ft Worth, around the 23rd to shoot some piggies. Have a friend in the shop who's dad has some property on a river. Figured on bringing a SK, using steel core, and a CZ 52 for back up. May bring a scoped 8 mil. Depends if another guy in the shop can make it or not. If he can make it, we'll take the car. If not, I'll break down the SK, pack the CZ n ride the Max. Figured I'd lay out some fermenting corn. Should bring them in. The guy, who's dad has the property, will already be there. Been wanting to do this for three yrs now. Just happened to get a troop in the shop who can help me out. If we get some, we figure we'd have a shop feed. I'm pumped to murder a few swine.

Slack.....I would have to say that the 7.62 x 25 Tokarev is probably a bit underpowered for hogs. The 45ACP is considered a bit underpowered for hogs and the Tok is below that.

Also for your SKS, I would go for a true hunting round as opposed to the steel core military ball ammo. The Ball will not give you very much expansion if at all nor will it generate that great of a temporary wound cavity. Something along the lines of this round (http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_71&products_id=502) would do nicely.

123_2307.JPG

Just being realistic. Nothing wrong with that.

Should be heading down to TX, west of Ft Worth, around the 23rd to shoot some piggies. Have a friend in the shop who's dad has some property on a river. Figured on bringing a SK, using steel core, and a CZ 52 for back up. May bring a scoped 8 mil. Depends if another guy in the shop can make it or not. If he can make it, we'll take the car. If not, I'll break down the SK, pack the CZ n ride the Max. Figured I'd lay out some fermenting corn. Should bring them in. The guy, who's dad has the property, will already be there. Been wanting to do this for three yrs now. Just happened to get a troop in the shop who can help me out. If we get some, we figure we'd have a shop feed. I'm pumped to murder a few swine.

If you're hitting a place that's a deer lease just go after the feeder spots and water holes, corning those, there's some "stink bait mollases looking stuff that works pretty good too but can't remeber what it is called. we usually have pretty good luck that way......we pile up in a side by side with one guy driving, one guy spotlighting and one guy gunning and try to do the "high speed approach surprise attack"....Beer is sometimes involved too : ) .In the day time we'll sometimes just sit in the stands but that can get kinda boring after a while if there happens to not be any activity.......

I dunno, 98. Everybody seems to differ on velocities and lbs. On the 25, I'll be bringing S&B. Seen different figures on this, alone. Some show in the 400's on lbs, and some up to 511, 515, above the acp. Thought most avg ball was 380's-420. Seems the 25 does some damage when hitting bone. Kind of like a 223, I suppose. It does penetrate. Seen an article of mg rds in a pink pkg that were being sold at gun shows. 2200fps. Never seen the poundage. It had busted a few 52 slides. Kind of hard to compare the acp and the 25. A fast rock vs a slow brick. I do like both. Guess thats why I shoot both. I understand what you're saying about the 39 sc. I have hp, sp, and fmj, too. I was thing of causing the littlest damage. It do penetrate. I had lined up a 2x4, 4x4, and 6x6 before and shot a sc through them at around a 100' or so. Wasn't brand new boards, but were in vg shape. Shot a 14" rd tree once with sc. It went in, followed some rings inside, to the right, then exited at 11 o'clock. Pretty cool. One thing with the sc, I am a bit concerned of the critter running off n kick'n the bucket out of site. If it would charge, I best be able to take him down with 19 more rds. I have a bayonet, too. : ) If I walk tall grass n brush, I'll prob have the thing out. I wanna be ready for anything. I wanna keep my ankles, and my backside.

Ok, Rusty. I'll ask about the stink bait. It had crossed my mind, wondering if shad sides would bring them around. Set a jar of those out in the sun for a day or two n you hope they never contact your skin. If I set that out, I may be inviting bears down from Montana with the right breeze.

Latest posts

Back