Help in Ann Arbor

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzzsawbee

Reaction score
Hi all. I am a noob on this forum but have owned my V-Max for 12 years and I am looking for some help solving a couple of problems.

I have a 97 with 3100 miles on it - I bought it when I was in the Navy and then after I got out my job had me on the road all the time. It was great for seeing the world, but terrible for riding my bike... In an effort to get back in the groove I took it to a local dealer for a badly needed tune up and carb cleaning/re-synch. They did an ok job, the bike starts right up and idles (which it wouldn't do before) but has an occasional pop/backfire that wasn't there in past years. The main problems I am concerned about though are the complete lack of low end throttle response - when I give it gas while idleing or put it in gear and try to take off if I don't really get on it the engine boggs and wants to stall, even after it warms up; the engine feeling like it is pulling/loaping when crusing at normal, non-vboost rpm/speed; and the sound difference in the engine while crusing - its muted, almost like the timing is retarded, not crisp and clean as it was before. It seems to run fine when I really put my wrist into it though...

I did some leak checks using carb cleaner, found nothing. I looked into the carbs while cycling the bike on and off to see if excess gas was pouring into them, again nothing. Plugs, starting from front left and going clockwise were dry/chocolate, dry/darker chocolate, wet/dark (almost black), dry/dark chocolate with white electrode tip; they all cleaned right up. I haven't checked the float levels yet, planning to do that this weekend.

I am running out of ideas and am not interested in returning to the dealer - they were very expensive and took way too long (over three weeks) to get the bike back to me, so I am asking for the advice of all the experts on here. I can do most all the work myself, except retuning the carbs - I don't have the equipment nor do I have the resources to buy one of those speciality tools, but if that is the verdict and someone in my area (Ann Arbor, Michigan) is willing to help I am willing to learn.

Ideas?

Thanks....

Last edited:
the guys who "rebuilt" my carbs only replaced those parts that were visibly bad, it was not a total rebuild with new orings, gaskets etc. that and they didn't tighten everything well. would bet you have the same issue I did, because they reused old parts and/or poor reasembly.

Start here http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=2468
There is a section on carbs. http://www.vmaxforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6
The steelers suck!
Did you try to run some seafoam through a couple of tanks.
Might help.
Mine had some pops too.
After I found some loose boots(Don't overtighten) and did a carb sync it all went away.
Carb sync tools are not that expensive, check ebay.
or check this link page 2 http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=5852&highlight=make+carb+sync+tool

Grant

Good info there!

As for the Steelers... Well they did win the super bowl... You may not like them though I guess...

Stealers SUCK!

As far as affording a Manometer... Any carb work on the Vmax really needs to be followed up with a sync IMO. You should really look into saving up for one or making your own like others have done here. There are directions on this site to do it...

Cheers,
Chris

Good info there!

As for the Steelers... Well they did win the super bowl... You may not like them though I guess...

Stealers SUCK!

As far as affording a Manometer... Any carb work on the Vmax really needs to be followed up with a sync IMO. You should really look into saving up for one or making your own like others have done here. There are directions on this site to do it...

Cheers,
Chris
Ok Ok I meant Stealerships not football. I am not a big fan just a wagon jumper on the last game. My team Saskatchewan Roughriders

Ok Ok I meant Stealerships not football. I am not a big fan just a wagon jumper on the last game. My team Saskatchewan Roughriders

Ah!! So THAT'S what the connection was! I read the posts over a couple times and couldn't find any football reference.....Thanks!!

And yer absolutely right Grant....Stealers Suck!!

The Steelers are OK tho!! :rofl_200:

Just a quick update for ya. I built a 4 cylinder manometer similar to the one richwrench built - spent an hour with it and the bike is running much better. Still having some issues, cylinder 1 seems to be the one with the problem - it sucks all the fluid when you goose the throttle and doesn't like to stay sync'd. I am going to run some sea foam through it and re-check the sync. I put another post up after I get a chance to mess with it some more.

Back