Help: Switch to an 18" rear wheel and radials or simply install a ME 880 "170".

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4.2Crew

Reaction score
I do primarily highway cross-country riding. In mid-July, a trip from MN to Portland, OR is approaching and I need new tires. Thoughts, comments, opinions would be appreciated, especially from anyone that has experienced BOTH set-ups. The Venture final drive swap has been done to lower highway RPM's. I really am not interested in launching hard from stop-light to stop-light or hard-core canyon carving.

The 17" rear wheel isn't much of an option because it would essentially offset the Venture final drive swap. I've become used to 4000rpm at 70-75 mph and can't imagine going back to stock ratios.

I'm concerned the 18" wheel with the lower profile radial tire will contribute to a stiffer and harsher ride. But really like the idea of radials for compliance and tracking.

Any input is appreciated...

Crew

:hmmm:

Once you do it, you won't know why you didn't do it sooner...:thumbs up:

I am running the 17" however, but my bike isn't set up for the highway at all. I wanted the stump pulling grunt.

There are so many different tires to choose from in the 17, but the 18 will still allow you to run much better rubber than you can find in a bias ply...:thumbs up:

I was told the 18 is slightly taller than stock where as the 17 is slightly smaller... Never actually measured for myself so that may be incorrect info...:confused2:

Back