help with carb removal

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WVxNitemare

Reaction score
Ok so im following the service guide to remove engine but im stuck with the carbs. ive loosened the carb boots but it wont come up. any tips to getting the carbs out. im afraid to pull too hard. its like it wont pull out. any help appreciated.

Make sure the hose clamps are completely loose, as in falling off, not just loosened off.
Then you can use a bit of gentle leverage to crack the seal. The rubber gets stuck to the carbs. Once it gets moving you'll be fine!

I think I used a big flat screwdriver under the chrome trim (where the drain hoses are) and sat the flat on top of one of the rubbers.

They stick in there pretty good.
Make sure the clamps are real loose.
Grab just two carbs on the same side of the bike and pull up hard and they should pop. Once one side pops, work the other side. I typically stand on the left side of the bike. Reach over the bike and grab both carbs and yank up. Use your body to keep the bike from tipping over

some have, including myself at times, relied on a broomstick. i did this the first time i removed the rack to just to crack #1 loose and then did like what mabdcmb suggests. the first time (last year) i removed the rack must've been the first time the rack was ever removed off of my '04 since it left the factory. i've removed them over a twenty times since without the need of the broomstick. regardless, like everyone says, loosen the clamps 'til they "fall", but DON'T remove the screws entirely else risk loosing the spacer sleeves into the bowels of the engine block. and then show the rack who's boss and put some muscle into it.

Back