Help !!!!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cujo51

Reaction score
Okay here we go .... I have an 85 , totally rebuilt motor . Problem I am having is #2 cylinder is not firing most of the time , pipe is warm to touch on idle , but if I rev up it will fire and pop . Runs like crap .
Yesterday I noticed the oil level was up and realized there was gas in the oil !!!! Pulled the plug and it was soaking wet . Switched plugs with # 3 cylinder and problem did not move with the plug swap ,so I tested resistance of the coil and its good . Checked for spark on the plug and got a nice blue spark .
Drained the carb bowl and no crap came out with the fuel , restarted and it was firing at idle .
Took it for a ride ( after an oil change ) , ran great , lots of power and within 5 minutes started hesiating and popping and real sluggish . Pulled plug again and it was soaking wet ??????:bang head:
other 3 plugs have a nice light brown color ( including the plug in the #3 cyl. now )
Before I tear into the bike i would like a few expert opinions
Thanks

Could be float level high, sticking needle/seat, or electrical (CDI box's can act funny sometimes).

Sean

As Sean said. I think the most likely culprit is a sticky needle valve, not shutting fuel supply properly when the #2 fuel bowl is full.

Of course, if the TCI is faulty it would have the same effect.

To check the needle valve you'll need to tear into the carbs. Tedious but not difficult.

For the TCI you'll need to find a replacement box and swap it to see if it improves. Do you know anyone with a similar Max near you?

Unfortunatley I dont know anyone with one ..... is there a way to test that electrically ?
This has been an issue from day one of break in of the new motor, intermittantly sputtering and popping but sometimes okay .
Never as bad as yesterday though with the gas in the oil and actually explosions coming from the pipe on that side .
had it on the dyno last year trying to fix it and adjusting the jets and it actually went away for a while , many times just blamed it on shitty fuel , until yesterday !!!!!!!!

I don't know of any way to test it. The best is to replace to find out. Try talking to Sean, he does run a parts loaner thing, and might be able to help you.

Heres a pic of the dyno at my buddies shop and the newly rebuilt 85 Max

Attachments

• GEDC0078.jpg
    GEDC0078.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 30
I'm running low on good CDI box's but may have one I can still send for testing along with a pickup coil. Just need to send a direct email request. Shipping in your case will eat up some of the costs more then others have but it is what it is. I can even send another needle valve to swap out of that carb.

Sean
[email protected]

Okay Sean thankyou ...I am going to pull the carbs and set the float heights first and see if there is anything obvious and I will let you know

Thanks for the help guys and I will get back to you

This is kinda a long shot but, I am going to be travelling to Milton, On. on May 27th. If shipping it to me in Michigan so I can ride to you and can save some shipping costs might work... Or some other U.S. rider coming over for the Spring Icebreaker could carry it too.
Let me know ASAP, I will be leaving in the AM on the 26th.

Thats awesome Redbone and thanks for the offer but I just got the carbs seperated and it looks like the needle valve is stuck open . just generally looks like it needs TLC
I ordered a carb rebuild kit today and will install next week .

Thanks for all the help and will let you know how I make out .

Once again thanks guys

That's good news that you most likely found the issue. I hope this clears it up for ya!:punk:
The Spring Icebreaker guys will be coming over June 3 or 4th so you still have some time if the CDI needs to be shipped.

Thats awesome Redbone and thanks for the offer but I just got the carbs seperated and it looks like the needle valve is stuck open . just generally looks like it needs TLC
I ordered a carb rebuild kit today and will install next week .

wow hang on what carb rebuild kit? The only ones we know of are aftermarket from fleaBay and according to peeps who used them they are crap!

You're better off buying just the bits you need OEM..

Keyster is crap. K&L is a little better but I only use OEM parts. Not worth the problems to save a few dollars.

See pics of the problem part in the Keyster carb kit in my facebook photo's section (Morleys Muscle).

Sean

Hey Sean et al:

How do we access yer Facebook photos section?

Thanks.

Elimax

Should be able to click the link in my sig and then go to the photo's. If it doesn't allow you access then request to be a friend or like and i'll add you in. Will be away from the computer until late tomorrow though.

Sean

Back