Hesitation?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oediehl

Reaction score
My "new" low-mileage 2009 VMAX is a rocket, except at low RPMs. Roll-on from minimal throttle and it seems to hesitate a bit, before getting its legs and charging ahead. Is this normal?

Yes normal for a stock bike.

The throttle by wire allows the ECU to control the actual throttle openings. So your wrist angle does not correlate directly to the amount the throttle opens. From the factory at lower rpm the programming is pretty tame in the first couple of gears and below certain speeds. We can assume this was done to make the bike a little more manageable and reduce wheel spin. You can't really get out of shape if you crack the throttle wide open just over idle. It became know as the factory "bog".

Gurued Gear, the company that re-flashes ECU's made a real good effort to eliminate that as one of the many enhancements included in their tunes.

In 1/4 mile racing the first 60 feet has a huge impact on what elapsed time you will run. Not much effect on the final speed, but each 1 tenth of a second reduction in the 60 foot time can decrease the final ET by as much as 2 tenths. So going from say a 1.8 to a 1.6 60 foot time, your ET could possibly improve from a 10.0 to a 9.6. That's a bunch of bike lengths at the end of the 1/4 mile.

Of course even if you're not racing, the bog can be an annoyance for sure. It's out of character with the rest of the way the bike performs.

This video is the first ever testing on version 1 of the re-flash for a stock bike. It demonstrates on the race track how removing the "bog" can improve the bikes 1/4 mile performance.

I'm gonna have get the reflash this winter, with a de-cat pipe. First I watched that video, but when you can see the results just by watching the launch........ Damn. I can get my stocker to break loose, but it's gotta be a cold tire. That's one thing I miss about going from a gen 1 to the gen 2. I used to do rolling burnouts all the time, and drift corners with my gen 1.

I'm gonna have get the reflash this winter, with a de-cat pipe. First I watched that video, but when you can see the results just by watching the launch........ Damn. I can get my stocker to break loose, but it's gotta be a cold tire. That's one thing I miss about going from a gen 1 to the gen 2. I used to do rolling burnouts all the time, and drift corners with my gen 1.

I could always light up the tire by just putting more weight on the pegs and less on the seat......just a small shift leaning forwards. It depends on how big you are too. It's a lot easier to do after the re-flash.

Latest posts

Back