How about something different? Z1 6 cylinder

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

02GF74

Reaction score
You may like this, Kawasaki Z1 6 cylinder engine.

For those that don't know, the Kawasaki Z1 is a 4 cylinder, air-cooled, DOHC, carburetted, chain-drive motorcycle introduced in 1972. Together with the Honda CB 750 it finished off the British motorcycle industry, which was woefully outdated, the best it could do was twin cylinder ohv engines.

The series of videos by Allen Millyard shows how he made a 6 cylinder engine from two 4 cylinder engines.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLop2HGVepi07H_Y7iT2VtXaiWZYRIhowW

DA79F5E4-8D9E-4F75-96D5-5FBDF5ADE427.jpeg I have a thing for six cylinders. I've had the valkyrie for quite a while, and I was lucky enough to acquire a 79 cbx a few years ago.

Last fall I spotted a forgotten, forlorn Voyager ZN1300 on Craigslist. Cheap, and clean as a whistle. Snapped it up and proceeded to put it on a serious diet. I probably peeled 200 pounds of crap off of it.

There's not another one like it in the world... (Only 4500 were made to begin with.) I fitted a 750 Zephyr tank, a Honda Shadow rear fender and a Dyna soft tail seat. Still a work in progress, but it's going to be fun.

135hp...

I cannot afford a Millyard creation, so have to muddle around with OEM raw material.

Last edited:
I have a thing for six cylinders. I've had the valkyrie for quite a while, and I was lucky enough to acquire a 79 cbx a few years ago.

Last fall I spotted a forgotten, forlorn Voyager ZN1300 on Craigslist. Cheap, and clean as a whistle. Snapped it up and proceeded to put it on a serious diet. I probably peeled 200 pounds of crap off of it.

There's not another one like it in the world... (Only 4500 were made to begin with.) I fitted a 750 Zephyr tank, a Honda Shadow rear fender and a Dyna soft tail seat. Still a work in progress, but it's going to be fun.

135hp...

I cannot afford a Millyard creation, so have to muddle around with OEM raw material.

I like your 'metisse,' points to anyone who doesn't have-to google what that word means, and what two brothers of motorcycling used it to describe their creations. Let's see more pics of the ZN1300. Here's something to make you wonder... . At a friend's home.

ZN1300 inline 6-cyl. Kawasaki.jpg

Dang. An old Z13 waiting to be rescued. The ZN is fuel injected rather than the three deuces and Kawasaki's intent with that was to increase fuel economy. But it had the side benefit of adding another 15 horsepower!

I'm at work and don't have much selection of photographs to display here, but here's one shortly after it hit the operating table and another just after the strippage was about completed and the detailing to begin. I'll toss up a couple of Road shots if there's interest. It has yet to be registered and there are still a few bugs to iron out, so I don't have many in action. I do have a nice little video, though. Might post that.

BB9A00AD-2153-4211-91BE-DDFC54D07FFD.jpeg 7E845F10-4871-4199-9827-96803C77C012.jpeg 7F220FD9-588E-4DD3-8F07-6E3B91AD6C59.jpeg

Last edited:
And I apologize profusely for stepping on the millyard thread. That guy is in a Class by Himself. Literally.

Munch.01.jpg
A superbike-bend handlebar is gonna make a world of difference. Once you removed all the touring stuff, it looks much-better, though if you wanted to go from Key West to Vancouver, that dressed-bike would be the one to have. Stripped-down, it reminds me of this series of bikes:
Munch.02.jpg

I had the pleasure of meeting the creator of these amazing bikes (at Daytona, more below), one of which lapped Daytona at 178 MPH-in 1970! It was more-powerful than the tires of the day, any attempt at a distance/time record was useless, as tires were only lasting several laps (as-in four laps!). Even Mike Hailwood couldn't match that pace! The last thing you want to do is have a catastrophic tire failure at those speeds. They may appear big and bulky but they weighed < a Gen I VMax. Is that the largest=diameter drum brake on the front of a bike that you've ever-seen? It was cast from a special magnesium alloy, Elektron, as-were other pieces on the bike.

Last edited:
Voyager ZN1300 on Craigslist. Cheap, and clean as a whistle. Snapped it up and proceeded to put it on a serious diet. I probably peeled 200 pounds of crap off of it.

(Only 4500 were made to begin with.) .
Not come across that one, nearest equivalent this side of the pond is Z1300, which appears to be a Voyager under all the crap.

on a similar theme, bikes from the 70s, IMO the era for best looking bikes before they were clad in plastic. Superb collection - there's a Benelli Sei (6 cylinder in the background that does not get a mention)

Last edited:
Back