How do I get the exhaust off?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffrimerman

Reaction score
It has Kerker exhaust and header. It's got quite a bit of rust so I want to take it off and sand it and paint it with high temp aluminum color.

My questions isn't so much about unbolting it but more how to pull it off after. It's lowered so I imagine it would need to be jacked up. Has anyone been able to take off their exhaust with it just on the kick stand? I know it's kind of a dumb question:confused2:

I wouldn't recommend doing it just on a kickstand either, I took my stock exhaust off my 85 a few weeks ago with CaptainKyle and it took both of us yanking on it quite a bit to finally free it (once the bolts were out of course). Since your pipes have rust it is likely they will be stuck firmly together at the joints as well. You will want to put the front wheel in a chock and tether the bike down as well on both sides so you don't identically tip it to one side or the other while pulling them off (you are in the same boat as me without a center stand).

The thread above is good for taking of the rear mufflers however if you are taking everything off from the headers back you will have to remove 2 bolts from each header where they are fixed to the engine (can be a real PITA with the angle and small work space). It is a surprisingly simple process mechanically, but with older pipes it can be quite a bit more strenuous. Having an extra set of hands for the removal would probably be a good idea, reassembling can be done solo after you have touched them up.

Best of luck with the process and don't forget to make some before and after pics for the thread!

Ok thanks, I'll try to get a friend help me. I might just drop it and not try to get it all off. If I can just tilt one side off so I can reach with steel wool or light sand paper to get the rust bumps off. Then I can tape paper over the bike and just spray one end of the pipes. Its mainly the front and bottom. It's got custom rims and lots of mods so it's pretty mean looking. It's just been in storage for years with the previous owner. I think I have one pic so I can post it now.
This pic is with the clip on bars, I have drag bars now. You can't see the oil pressure gauge on lower right side.
IMAG0211.jpg

Crazy bike! You may need to get some paddock stands that jack up the rear wheel, or add some engine guards as they are a great way to hold the bike up on car axle stands having jacked it up from under the motor with an assistant holding it upright.

Use some PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench on those fasteners overnight, a bit of heat might help too. If you snap any, that won't be fun.

I removed my full stock exhaust multiple times on the centerstand alone, but yours is gone. Some car jackstands on the swingarm or a solid bar thru one of the hollow points & jackstands under them would work too. Yes, better to have the bike secured from toppling sideways from tugging on things. If you have two people to loosen the slide fittings, twisting the tubes opposite ways, again w/heat, like a propane torch, you should be able to do it. Sandblast or soda blast it or whatever media you have before painting. Your job will last longer. You might want to look-into 'Jet-Hot' coating it. Not cheap but it will last longer. Surface prep is the key.

My bike is lowered 2 inches. I took the stock exhaust off and put the kerker on with it on the kick stand.

I've always had good luck heating rusty parts up(maybe warm the bike up first) then spraying them with pb blaster to get them apart. Keep a fire extinguisher handy, but nothings ever caught fire on me doing it this way.

I've been thinking I need a fire extinguisher. Thanks everyone. I took 3 bolts off with an allen wrench I had and a box end wrench for leverage, but some pb blasting would be better to avoid any snapage. That would suck.

I see a good spot under the swing arm so with a block of wood would be fine. There is space under the engine. Is it safe to put a block of wood there and jack it? If Drew85 is 2 inches lower and he could do it then maybe me too? I might be lower than 2 inches. I haven't measured a stock one.

Back