How is Texas?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is by far the most articulate post I have read on a forum in a long time and thank you for taking the time to write it.
While Florida has it's pros and cons, I am with you that I can not spend my life in one place. I try to utilize opportunities as they present themselves, and although this sounds cliche, I always try to position myself so that I can be happy and make a living. I am graduating in 5 weeks and recognize the next 4 months as potentially the most important in my career; as a crossroads that can lead to a mediocre life and career, or one that leads to a life with a fulfilling and profitable career and ample freedom to live how I desire to. While there is opportunity in South Florida, I see it as predominately a service economy, with little manufacturing. The engineering positions I see my friends taking here seem largely uninteresting and paying, at best, average salaries based on median national engineering entry level salary data. Texas, on the other hand, seems to have a plethora of engineering opportunities that look enticing for a number of reason, not the least of which is the high pay. The lack of state income tax, like Florida, is an important decision factor. I can not see moving from a State with no income tax to one with income tax as a sound financial decision.
Then there is the weather factor. I hate the cold. When it drops below the 60s, I complain like people do about when the temperature rises over 100. I would rather move to Haiti then up North where temperature below 40 are the normal. This basically limits my range within the US to a few southern states, The mid west, and Southern California. Marking all of California off the list is an EASY decision which I shouldn't need to elaborate on. With a few states left on the list, Texas is at the top.
Ultimately, once I get things rolling, I would like to have house in the Florida Keys, so that I can enjoy the best that Florida has to offer with my family who are by and large Floridians. I can grow in Texas, and not start a new life, but meet the goals I have had and maybe make some new ones that exceed my current expectations.

Back to your Post Ninjaneer, I am not familiar with licensing for software engineers, and hate to give advice to senior engineers. I know that one business model that seems relatively easy to implement, is for a Professional Engineer to offer consulting and expertise and hire entry level and new grads to do a majority of the foot work. This model seems easy to grow; take on more fresh talent, train your employees, take on more work, and when the time comes, hire senior level engineers as employees, not partners.

Again, I thank you for your post. While I know a great deal about Texas already, I do not have any support from my friends or family to move there. I find any type of encouragement motivating, even if it is electronic. Now I need to get my ass in gear and start making moves.

So AMechEng, since I last posted to this thread, I've gone to Austin for a week of Summer vacation and absolutely loved it. Upon our return back to Florida, I immediately began circulating my resume, had been phone-interviewed a handful of times by a few companies, and ultimately was invited for on-site interview by a Round Rock company. The interview went extremely well, but I didn't realize how good I currently have it until they showed me their "very competitive/better than the rest" benefits package. I mean I knew that my company's benefits were good before going to the interview, but it wasn't until I actually sat down post-interview and itemized out exactly how much I cost my present company in preparations for the "offer/negotiations" phone call(s)--when I realized just how good I have it now. Needless to say, I'm not surprised that I haven't received a follow-up to my counteroffer. There's no way I'm moving for a paycut. Coupling that with the "unreimbursed" small fortune it would cost to dig up and replant 18 years of roots, there's no way. I guess the old adage is true--the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. Just glad I didn't have to learn the hard way that "you don't know how good you have it until it's gone".

My advice: Don't base a company's compensation as "poor" because it's reported base salary is below the national average. There are too many location-based factors, e.g., cost of living, taxes, insurance, etc., to simply make that kind of judgment. Hell luckily during lunch, I asked an employee how much motor insurance cost there--it was double what I pay now. You absolutely MUST factor in the benefits package as well as the cost-of-living adjustments (which typically don't include things like the cost of car insurance). In my case, the regional's average base salary is a little over 10% less than the national average. However, after factoring in all of the benefits my company pays me (e.g., bonuses, retirement plan, disability, healthcare, paid leave), my total compensation is 8.5% more than the national average and 23% more than the regional average.

I know as a new grad, it's gonna be tough for you to figure out exactly what a good benefits package is when compared between companies and exactly what a good benefits package is when weighed against your way-of-life, but you must (I can't stress it more) look pass the base salary as the sole indicator and factor in a company's benefit package before signing your name to that offer.

Thanks for the advice. I found a job a couple weeks after I graduated. I got very lucky and its an incredible job. It's a small company and the owner is one of the best people I've ever met.

I love Texas, but Obama henchman, Justice Department head, and genetic Arab Eric Holder says that Texas is a racist state and he's watching us. So you'll be watched closely by an Arab.

I spent 23 years in Texas and loved every one of them, would still be there if I wouldn't have gotten laid off. I will most likely retire there too, love the year round riding season!!!!

While I have never lived or worked in TX, I did investigate moving to the Houston metro area after I had 10 years in fire/rescue in FL. My GF was a Harris Co detective before moving to FL to leave the stressful life she led. She had several family members in Houston, and I went as-far as to go to Houston F/R to speak w/a recruiter, I brought my transcripts and they offered me a starting salary within ~5% of what I was making then. We looked in Lake Conroe for housing, and I almost made the move.

Now I have a few years left in another career related to EMS, (I retired once) and my wife just had an opportunity to take a big incentive package to retire from her supervisory job as an EE, but she decided to continue to work. We both like FL for the weather, and family is here (grandkids) & the Midwest too. So, several years, we'll stop working, and are looking in SW MI for a waterfront vacation home.

I have a cousin in Austin, she loves it there. I have never been there, but having a reputation as an educational and music hub are good things to tout. I don't share Kyle's hatred of FL, and while there are issues everywhere, to think you're never going to die of extremes of weather in FL is probably true, but having lived in the snowbelt for 1/3 of my life, there's a reason I am in the Sunbelt. In retirement, I want to be a snowbird.

Latest posts

Back