How to check fuel pump?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Easy Rider

Reaction score
Hi all :)

I have some problems with my VMax after winter. Engine doesn't want to run neither on choke nor without it. I suspect fuel pump. Why? Well, usually when I was turning on ignition there was this ''ticking'' sound coming from pump when filling the carbs with petrol. Now when I turn ignition on I only hear single 'tick' from fuel pump and v-boost starting. When engine starts it runs very rough for few seconds (with or without choke) and 'dies' few seconds after start or when I try to throttle.

My question is:

Should fuel pump kind of run when I short connect it to the battery? I took fuel pump off the bike and connected it to fully charged battery. All I'm getting is this single 'tick' and nothing else. How my pump should work when connected to the battery? Should I feel it 'running'? Am I right saying that my fuel pump just died?

Thanks in advance :)

Ez

sounds like it may be dead. You can take it apart and check to see if the rubber "diaphrams" (more like valves) are displaced. Mark the edges of the pump with a marker or scribe so you put it back together clocked right when you are done.

Sean

Thank you for advice :) I disasembled pump but everything inside seems to be in order.

How should it act when I connect it to battery? At the moment there's single 'tick' which comes from the metal pad at one end of the pump (there where the wires come in). This pad just go up/down when I connect/disconnect power supply but nothing else happens. Should this pump run constantly when I connect it to battery?

Ez

it's set to run when connected to the bikes electrical for x number of seconds then the relay kicks in and shuts power off if the bike is not running. Then there is also a pressure switch that causes the pump to shut off when there is enough fuel pressure. Off the bike and hooked to power it should run constantly if there is nothing letting it build up fuel pressure.

Sean

Check the buy sell section as they are on there sometimes. I am actually getting ready to start listing a 2003 that i will be parting out. I'd like to get some stuff "pre-sold" to help my budget out lol. Either way, whether you get one from me, a new one, or a good used on ebay or here - good luck on your project.

You can try to test the bike by hooking up a gravity tank (a simple tank mounted or held higher then the carbs) and see if the bike starts and runs ok. The pump is only there due to the location being lower then the carbs and fuel not flowing uphill (darn that gravity thing anyway).

Sean

When you shorted the pump to the battery did you disconnect the fuel line from the carbs? If the bowls are already full it won't pump.

Back