idle drops when hot

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarge103

Reaction score
I noticed while sitting in laconia traffic yesterday that my max's idle started dropping and at one point actually stalled out on me. It doesn't do it unless it's hot. I was wondering what this could be? Any help would be appreciated.

That makes sense since I've also had some intermittent cold no starts when the temp outside was low.

As davidon mentioned check your charging system. Your bike is probably idling poorly from not a hot condition, but not enough voltage to the ecm. This could be a battery low on fluids, battery is old and not holding a charge very well or your charging system is just not healthy. Here is a well written
How to: Fix your Vmax's low voltage or charging problems;

mine started doing the same thing this summer. also my battery was near dead after only sitting 2 weeks and its a yuasa thats only a year old. thats a good write up. ill try that. thanks.

I have this problem as well, seems many have had it. Bike starts and runs great. Carbs are mint just back from DannyMax. As it heats up throttle response gets worse and idle goes to heck until the bike dies.This is usually just before it is hot enough to turn on the fan. Bike will restart hot but it is difficult and often pops back at the starter. It will run if you give it throttle but not well and won't idle. Let it cool and everything is fine again. It is just strange that it will rev up hot so whatever is dropping out is only bad enough to kill it at idle.

Reading the forum it seems charging voltage is what most feel is the problem. However tried this test which I think disproves the charging system as the culprit:

Attached good voltmeter and battery charger to the battery terminals. Started bike and warmed it up. Charging as normal about 13.5 volts at idle. Drops if you rev it. Turn on battery charger to 10A setting - this brings battery voltage up to 14.2. Let the bike run and heat up. Once hot - same story idle goes to pot, throttle response is bad and eventually she quits running.

So if the voltage of 14 is not enough to run it hot - I do not see how working thru the charging system is going to fix the issues. It may improve charging however I agree.

Now I am left to ohm test the Pulsar Pickup once it is hot and check the coils etc. also when hot. They are all good when cold. If these test good hot I can only think it might be a cooling blockage that is causing one or more cylinders to overheat.

No one seems to have mentioned on here finding clogged up cooling systems except for one post where the motor was opened up and the jackets clogged. Another helpful person had Pulsar Pickups that failed open only when hot.

Any further ideas?

Am alternative suggestion could be fuel starting to vapourise in the float chamber.

I've only had the situation once and although the ambient wasn't that high (low 20's) I was in slow moving traffic for some time.
The motor wasn't happy but it did keep going and after a mile or so on the open road things went back to normal.

Do you have the front and rear heat shields in place?

Well it has happened on the street in the past. Thats why I stopped riding in the first place. If it got hot and you shut down or stalled for any reason, chances are that it won't start up again.

This last time testing was in the garage with a 20" pedestal fan on high setting blowing directly on the motorcycle from the front. Big door and side door open with 50 F ambient air. Most of the bike covers are off but not the heat shields. Same exact problem. But probably not related to voltage.

I solved this problem two time on different VMAX by changing the spark plugs, one of them was defective.

I noticed while sitting in laconia traffic yesterday that my max's idle started dropping and at one point actually stalled out on me. It doesn't do it unless it's hot. I was wondering what this could be? Any help would be appreciated.
Check the ignition coils, they are prone to splitting and breaking down causing unstable idle especially when warm or when riding in wet weather.
Have a look at the article on this problem on http://exactrep.com/acatalog/HT-Ignition-Coil---Replacement--128.html#SID=28

Last edited:
Back