Idle setting

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidon

Reaction score
At cold bike idles at ideal setting (getting 14V) however after warmed up it seems to drop slightly to 900ish (13 V) and I have to give a little gas to get it back to 1000RPM. What is the cause of the drop? Solutions?

At cold bike idles at ideal setting (getting 14V) however after warmed up it seems to drop slightly to 900ish (13 V) and I have to give a little gas to get it back to 1000RPM. What is the cause of the drop? Solutions?

Set the idle (using idle adjustment thumbscrew- left side between carbs) once the engine is hot. then start from cold and check the engine isn't racing, once it reaches temperature everything should settle anyway and run fine. I had this issue last year, and a little fiddling with the idle got it running ok again.

Yeah, mine is similar. The idle varies a bit depending on temp. Cold it's around 8-900 and warm it rises to 950-1000 or so. Not a big deal if it isn't exactly 1000rpm at all times.

I end up adjusting my idle thumbscrew every so often because of the varying conditions of hot/cold, long ride/short ride, Mainly high speed running or in town running. It's easy enough to keep it where I do, Just above 1,000 rpms. Only takes a little tweak now and then....

Just make sure you check your carb sync, as this seems to affect it, even if it's only a little out too.

Is there an easy way to check that the carbs are in sync? I have a very very slight hesitation/miss at crusing speed that immediatly goes away with a small movement of the throttle

Put a synch tool on and check. Its a 10 minute job. If you don't have one you could borrow mine. Big rubbers needs one too. I think he is in windber too

Back