Idle

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bullet223

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have a 98 vmax and it's my first ever vmax. I seem to have a problem and I am hoping someone may have a solution: my bike idles just under 1000 rpm and sounds nice. Problem is I have to give it a little gas in order to start it (unless it's warmed up). Also when the bike is idling if I give it gas it sputters, this also happens when I take off. I have to give it a little more throttle at take off, because of it's hesitation. I rode my friends 85 vmax and it was like night and day, his was FAR more responsive,mine feels much slower.

Interventions I have made are as follows: checked all spark plugs and wires, checked fuel filter and airfilter, made sure the exhaust system was tight, I did the "pea shooter carb cleaning". Next I am going to sync the carbs. Any recommendations? Ideas? Thank you.

Hey Bullet,
I had some sputtering issues with mine when I picked it up last month. Mostly because the PO hadn't really ridden it in a few seasons.

I ran 3 tankfuls through with seafoam additive (1 oz per gallon) and found that my VMax perked right up.

Another minor thing to do is replace the fuel filter. Check for NAPA fuel filter on this forum for a part number.

Start with the basics...

Happy riding!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back