I'm a traitor

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calimus

Reaction score
After just resolving to keep my Max and put off the search for an FJR, I was slapped in the face with a deal I couldn't refuse.

So I've done it. I no longer have my Ma and now have an 05' FJR1300 w/mods. I will not be abandoning these forums though as I full intend to purchase another Max in the future. I've also come to think of many of you as friends and I certainly can't walk out on friends.

My wife and I both were very sad when we left the dealership and the Max behind. The Max served me very well and I know that I will miss it terribly.

I've already racked up 100 miles on the FJ since I picked it up today and the one think I already miss is boost. The FJR is no slouch by any means but it's very smooth and you just don't get that rollercoaster feel when you hit 6k.

Here's the breakdown on the new ride

05' FJR1300
8,620 miles
Bar-ends w/cruise lock
Sport windsheild
Holeshot Slipons (awesome sound, but it's still not the Max)
Power Commander III
Comm System
GPS Mount
New Avon's Front/Rear

So far it's a great bike. Took the wife for a short ride and that is where the FJR certainly has an advantage over the Max. I almost couldn't tell my wife was on the back, not to mention the seat didn't kill her ass within 5 miles.

While my wife has her own bike, every now and then she like to ride bitch, but couldn't because the Corbin on the Max was just too hard. So it's a happy and sad day for me. I really miss the Max, but right now the FJR is what the doctor ordered. I can only hope that it's not too long before I can pickup another Max as there is just no replacement.

Here's a pic and a link to the rest I took today (just a few)

Looks purple in the pic, but it's really a dark blue
P6120039.sized.jpg

Linky to the rest
http://www.techography.net/gallery/05fjr1300

Now that I'm done, let the flogging commence :deadhorse:

Congrats on your purchase, nice bike! Keep in touch!

Mark

Give a max a run for it's money those things.
Mate of mine has one, Both of us next to each other when we hit a straight, I kept up with him untill he shifted into sixth gear....

Fuckers can corner damn well too. Same guy keeps up with an 07 ZX10R, 05 R1, K4 GSXR1000 nd 07 CBR1000RR on ll but the tightiest of twisties.

Now that I'm done, let the flogging commence :deadhorse:

LOL.. don't beat yourself up over this, FJRs are really nice bikes. I really like the purple colour when the flash reflects off of it. Enjoy your motorcycle, that is the whole point of owning one!! :rocket bike:

Congrats on the new ride. The FJR is pretty tempting.

I was at Cycle Gear the other day when a man and a woman came in on matching FJRs. There should be a law against that sort of thing. :)

Keep us updated on how you're getting along. Right now, I'm trying not to look at the FZ1s I see running around...

What the hell were you thinking ? Just kidding...:biglaugh:

Nice new bike you got and you say the Max was a great bike for ya. Just think another lucky rider will soon hop on your Max and get totally high on the acceleration that its well known for. The new owner will have bought it for looks and performance and that's what they'll get. Don't forget that big honkin grin on their face as they hit the boost ! Just as you did....remember that day ?

I know I could never sell mine, it took me too long to get it. The guy who sold me the bike told me he was going to miss it in a big way, but then he was happy cuz he had the feeling I was going to to really take care of it. I guess I was drooling all over the place. I've sent him pictures and told him what I have done so far, which is not allot but he was glad to hear it. It's funny, but I for one am emotionally attached to this thing. Pride, enjoyment, what ever it is I'd be totally depressed if I had to sell it.

I hope someday you'll get the chance to get another one and get that feeling back you once had all over again.

Your not a traitor, cuz I know you'll miss it ( I can see that in your post ). If you don't then the Max wasn't for you in the first place. :confused2:

Thanks for all the kindness guys. I'll still be around as this site is a part of my daily routine and I don't intend to give it up.

I do miss the max and I think I will continue too, untill I pick another one up. For now the FJR is great and is making me feel not so bad about leaving the max behind.

Now I'm just waiting for the weekend to get here so can get this thing up to the twisties and see how she really handles.

I think you'll enjoy your new bike, I'm sure you'll soon know how much better it will handle over the Vmax.

I'm glad to hear your sticking around and I hope you'll be able to pick up another one when you get the chance.

Take it ez on your newbie and ride safe.

I'm loving the FJR so far and yes, it handles much better then the max in several areas. However, I'm also missing the max in a few areas as well. The FJR will coast forever once you roll off the throttle to where the max had nice compression slow down. So thats taking some getting used to. An there are some corners that the Max felt more solid in.

I'll definitley need another max at some point though. Just miss too much about it.

Congrats. I've drooled over that very bike many times. IMHO, that's the best sport touring bike made.

Calimus, I forgot to ask. Did Yami take care of the issue of rider's legs getting severly baked because of all the engine heat? I would like to ride one and compare it to the Honda ST sometime.

Thx.

Mark

From what I've leared, they addressed it in the 06' and 07' (second Gen) bikes. Most of those that have the Gen II bikes still get some heat, but it's not all that bad.

Mine does toss out some heat, but there are some nice DIY fixes for it. So far, it's been maybe a little more then what the max would put out on really hot days. What I don't have are my nards cooking when sitting in traffic like I did on the max. Over all, the FJR runs fairly cool. I've not gotten above 4 bars on the temp guage (out of 6) even while sitting in traffic with ambient temps in the mid 90's. The fans won't even come on till the 6th bar is indicated so I've yet to have them come on under riding conditions.

I've not ridden an ST myself, but from what I understand, the ST is like riding a blast furnace. Several of the FJR guy's are ex-ST1100/1300 owners.

the 06/07 FJR also have vents in the fairing around the leg area so that you can use that warm air in the winter. I might have to see about adding those to my 05'.

If anyone is interested, I made a short 3min clip of the bike in the driveway similair the one I made for my Max. First part gives you a nice introduction to the sound of the Holeshot can's that are on the bike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaSjAOLkwRo

Something about that bike doesn't look right. Might just be different versions for different parts of the world but it's heaps different from my mates one...

Is it possible that your mate has an FJ1200? You might be right that things are different for the many regions of the world, I haven't seen anything other then US or EU versions of this bike and those are identical save for the motor tuning and emissions.

His is an 06 I beleave, could just be that. Main difference is the front. His windscreen is taller and the headlights look different. I'll try and get a picture at some point.

How often have you plyed with the windscreen button by the way? lol.

Headlights on an 06' are a tad different and the screen on mine is after market. An I've played with the screen position many times over the last week. Since it's been in the mid 90's here in Ga, I've left the screen down for the most part. As you bring it up, it kinda sucks the engine heat right up the front of you. Should be excellent in the winter, but for now I'll just leave the damn thing down and enjoy the cooler air.

Well got to take a ride on the back of my mates one today. Holy snapping assholes the thing can boogie.

MY hands still hurt from the death grip I had on the grab rails. Damn that was fun.

Yea, acceleration is great on these. My wife loves the fact that the FJR has the grabrails. Problem is getting her off her bike and on mine.

Whew, I thought it was just me wanting an FJR. I fell for the Max on its looks and reputation. The thing is a blast to ride. When I bought it 8 months ago, I thought I'd be a hobbyist rider, now I just want to ride all the time. Heck I even commute the bike to work just to ride.

The practical side of me says I need nearly twice the fuel range, cargo capacity for a weekender, better handling, ABS brakes, better instrumentation, fuel injection, a bigger windscreen for cold weather, and still plenty of power. Wait a minute, that's FJR 1300 we're talking about! Someday I may have to go that route.

Back