Is carburetion dead?!?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gemini8026

Reaction score
Just curious...

I dont know of any bikes now that have carbs on them?!?

As I anxiously await getting my '07 Vmax, Im quite excited, except being a younger guy (29) I've never really messed with carbs, so when it comes time to do any work, I'll have to call the old man up!!! MY current Z1000 is all EFI. It's nice because it runs good, and I dont have to touch anything

Do they still have their place in motorsports. Are they a hindrance?!? Will a guy need to pull them off every season for a thorough cleaning?!?!?

Just a few q's from a young guy who's works on a computers all day!

EFI is absolutly superior. Improved driveability, power, lower emissions than carbs. Much less maintenance as well. That's not to say that carbs don't work well, but everything in a carb is "fixed". If you change altitudes or exhaust or whatever, you need to rejet a carb for maximum efficiency. In an EFI system, the computer takes care of fine tuning. For larger adjustments you simply "remap" the computer with a program from your laptop. The worst thing about carbs seems to be lack of use - if a bike (or any machine for that matter) sits for a long time & the fuel inside it gums up, your usually looking at a rebuild to make it right again. I'm old school, so I don't mind carbs, but a lot of people don't want to bother with them. For me , tinkering around with my bike is half of the fun.

Just curious...

I dont know of any bikes now that have carbs on them?!?

As I anxiously await getting my '07 Vmax, Im quite excited, except being a younger guy (29) I've never really messed with carbs, so when it comes time to do any work, I'll have to call the old man up!!! MY current Z1000 is all EFI. It's nice because it runs good, and I dont have to touch anything

Do they still have their place in motorsports. Are they a hindrance?!? Will a guy need to pull them off every season for a thorough cleaning?!?!?

Just a few q's from a young guy who's works on a computers all day!

i don't mind doing some of my own work, but i don't have a huge want to tear into the carbs unless its off riding season as i'm sure it'd take me a bit the first time. with that being said, i think a carb'd bike could go almost its whole life without taking the carbs apart every year. the key is just taking care of the bike. the worst thing for it is to sit!. Every winter, put fuel stabil in the gas tank and either drain the bowls or keep gas in them (by turning the key every few days), some people recommend one or another. carbs are finicky and EFI is better, but you can get away with tuning them once if needed and really just regular maintenance will keep you from having to crack them...

i have a 01 fz1 with carbs and a 07 fz1 with FI will i do like the 07 the factory has put something in the computer that limits power in the first 3 gears below a set rpm. so i like that my 01 feels like it hits alot harder outta the hole. working on carbs is really straight forward once you've done it a few times.
i don't take mine on my fz1 apart ever year, and don't drain 'em either. only time they were off was for ivans jet kit. i just run seafoam in the last couple tanks each year. and with 80,000 km and change ive never had a problem.

A lot of if not all the new bikes have TR or timing retard. It's easily circumvented with a TRE (timing retard eliminator) though.

Carbs are DEAD! You just can't meet emissions with them anymore.

I have a FI bike as well and would take FI over carb'd ALL day long!

Chris

A lot of if not all the new bikes have TR or timing retard. It's easily circumvented with a TRE (timing retard eliminator) though.

Carbs are DEAD! You just can't meet emissions with them anymore.

I have a FI bike as well and would take FI over carb'd ALL day long!

Chris

i gotta imagine EFI is just much better, and you can add NOS easier... but i guess my point also was, if you take care of the bike, you shouldn't need to crack the carbs or anything for a LONG time, aside from an initial setup with the right jet/needles/etc.

True but it's just SO easy to dial in an FI bike or car. 45 minutes on a dyno or road and you're done and the bike runs solid no matter what elevation you're at.

I love it.

Chris

Back