Is this kit enough and a good price?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DigitalArts

Reaction score
Now that I (thankfully) have the time to really take her apart and deal with the problem at the foundation, I'm going to drop the tank out and give her a nice cleaning and coating.

I'm thinking POR15

Would this kit be enough and is their website too expensive?

Called all of my local radiator shops and they quoted me over 200, so I'll be doing this one myself!

http://www.por15.com/POR-15-Motorcycle-Fuel-Tank-Repair-Kit-_p_106.html

And here is a nice video I found about how to do it all:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZoz_PDxksc

Aside from that, I plan to clean the old fuel lines out, get anoter fuel filter, and run some cleaner through the fuel pump.

Also: I haven't checked it yet but Jamie pointed out my Stator or rectifier might be bad, I plan to test the output ASAP. Should I find that it is bad, what is a good alternative that I can use that will either fit under the old corbin seat or under the faux tank? Jamie mentioned something about an R1 one I believe

Por15 has worked for a lot of guys. I used red kote, but I think as long as you follow the instructions, you're good to go.

I used the KBS tank sealer kit, 3 years ago and my fuel system is still running crystal clear.

http://www.kbs-coatings.com/cycle-tank-sealer-kit.html

I was kind of worried at 1st that the 5 gallon kit might be cutting it close because we have a 4 gallon tank. Well, after I drained it out, I still had close to 1/2 container left. I inspected the tank with an endoscope and it was covered 100%. The key to doing this right is to be patient and follow the steps that are required. TAKE NO SHORTCUTS, when it comes to cleaning, drying and prepping the tank before you put the coating in.

I used the KBS tank sealer kit, 3 years ago and my fuel system is still running crystal clear.

http://www.kbs-coatings.com/cycle-tank-sealer-kit.html

I was kind of worried at 1st that the 5 gallon kit might be cutting it close because we have a 4 gallon tank. Well, after I drained it out, I still had close to 1/2 container left. I inspected the tank with an endoscope and it was covered 100%. The key to doing this right is to be patient and follow the steps that are required. TAKE NO SHORTCUTS, when it comes to cleaning, drying and prepping the tank before you put the coating in.

Looks to me like the KBS kit there comes out to around 50 after shipping and gives much more quantity than the POR15 kit I linked...

How does it stack up in comparison? I've heard nothing but awesome things about POR15

Just ordered the KBS, did some quick research and apparently it's the same company as POL15 just rebranded and a little bit updated!

I used a 10% off code and after 10$ one day shipping it was ~$47

Whoop! I'll go try to get that tank out now haha

Don't forget about vent hole at the top of tank..I sent you a text about harbor freight get on their mailing list for coupons and catalogs jackstands 20 bucks

I'll shove something in it!

And thanks, I'll be sure to get on that.

And I'm following this guide right now: (The reseal kit should be here in the next two days)

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=9885

But I'm stuck on the last two parts that are excluded:

--> Remove rear fender. Someone with a stock bike please send pics

--> Remove rear left shock

I can guess that I simply unbolt the top of the rear shock and slide it backwards, but the rear fender part I would prefer some guidance on as to not mess anything up.

Thanks!

Also, this is my current r/r (battery is dead and doesn't want to start off jump easily right now so I haven't tested it yet)

From what I can tell, this is the OEM one from 85, so I'd like to upgrade it eventually regardless. Can someone price me out some options?

I was experiencing similar symptoms as this guy:

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=30812

POR15 stuff works well for when we've done it. You can fill the tank with vinegar and let it sit for awhile. That will eat out the rust. Throw some nuts/bolts in there and shake it up to break up the really heavy stuff.

Usually my bike runs fine but sometimes it looses power and leaves me stranded. Will be cruising then I lose power, engine won't rev and eventually dies. Similar to running out of gas. At first I thought it was my fuel filter because I hadn't changed that yet, no luck. Took the bike out for a test run and it kept dieing. First died just cruising at 60 mph, dies almost every time under WOT at the top of third gear. Usually it starts and runs fine after sitting for a couple of minutes. This time it was running rough and kept dieing. Fuel pump is running each rime I turn the key on.

Specifically this ^

Here is my current r/r:

https://imgur.com/oZKdnZn

If your pulling the tank just go ahead & remove the rear fender & wheel & get it out of the way its much easier. I have done a ton of them & will be doing another tomorrow. It takes about 30 minutes & its out. As far as RR just use one from a 96 & up & put it in the stock location & you will be fine they are about 75 bucks for an aftermarket one.

Well the budget is down to about $50 and I'm closing in on getting her running.

Things purchased and ready for this week:

- Brake fluid
- New battery
- Jack stands to hold crash bars
- $50 POR15 kit (KPM or whatever it is brand)
- New LED turn signals (old ones don't work)
- Another NAPA 3011 fuel filter for after tank cleaning
- Edit: $18 r/r off a working 02

Now I need to be careful with this remaining 50, because if I can't clean my old fuel pump out I'll need a new one of those, but I have a very strong feeling that my r/r is bad (check out the quote from a previous thread I said at the bottom of page 1).

And I still haven't figured out why my fuel pump comes on every time I turn the key on...

Wish the guy who sold this thing to me wasn't so sneaky -.-

From my experience the new style rr hold up a lot better & pinwall is a reputable place. I have bought quite a bit from them. In the end its your choice though. You will need longer bolts wit the new style but that is no big deal.

Thanks for the infos, I went ahead and picked it up since for $18 and the fact that it's a likely cause of my problems, it almost seems like a no brainer.

As for the other potential issues, I apparently might also have an ignition pick-up connector the 85-89 bikes had... opinion?

Also, is the link below something I should definitely do? As in, would it be causing my "randomly runs out of gas" symptom when cruising at high rpm? Followed by not turning over at a decent speed or starting for a few minutes?

http://www.vmaxoutlaw.com/tech/crimp.htm

I suppose if I do everything above and she still randomly stops running while cruising I'll have to point my finger at the fuel pump. (Though I plan to run cleaner through it before the new tank is on, I'm not sure this one allows me to take it apart)

Are there any other electrical components besides the R/r that could cause my "running out of gas" symptom?

Don't forget about vent hole at the top of tank..

When I did mine, I went to Home Depot and got a small piece of clear tubing and bridged it from the vent tube to the fuel pickup tube. Also, I pulled that little brass breather fitting out the vent tube to make sure it did not get clogged. Once it started setting up, I put it back in with a needle in the hole as an extra precaution. I could see the tube get coated as I rotated the tank around.

Just go around that crimp take the red wire from the RR put a 30 amp inline fuse in it & run it strait to the positive side of your battery & run the ground to your battery to.

Are the wires long enough for this? I read something about the stock connectors sometimes melting if they corrode too much.

I'm not sure if mine are, but if they aren't then I was planning on cleaning them up before I install the new one.

When I did mine, I went to Home Depot and got a small piece of clear tubing and bridged it from the vent tube to the fuel pickup tube. Also, I pulled that little brass breather fitting out the vent tube to make sure it did not get clogged. Once it started setting up, I put it back in with a needle in the hole as an extra precaution. I could see the tube get coated as I rotated the tank around.

That's an awesome idea, I'm not sure exactly what I'll stick it with but give me an hour of roaming a hardware store and I'll see something I like!

Back