Is Vboost fitted?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

02GF74

Reaction score
Apologies if this has been done a million times but a quick search showed no results.

So as per title, how do you tell if v-boost is fitted? I'm a recent owner of a 1998 Vmax that should be full power but when ignition is turned on, only sound is the fuel pump (?) clicking a few times.

Although at two times there was a short buzz, approx. 1 second, that sounds like the v-boost servo motor but I know there should be two bursts, about 3 seconds as the valve opens and closes.

On here somebody had similar problem that was cured with a new battery - I suspect mine is not 100% but it does quite happily turned the engine over.

So what do I look for - photos please - I am in process of removing the airbox but not succeeded yet, I assume that once that is out of the way, v-boost will be revealed …. or not.

Thanks.

VBoost from above

upload_2020-3-26_9-4-17.png

From the RH side

upload_2020-3-26_9-8-11.png

and the V Boost inlet bits

upload_2020-3-26_9-9-4.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-3-26_9-3-35.png
    upload_2020-3-26_9-3-35.png
    618.1 KB · Views: 4
thanks for super quick reply; it is really difficult to get a clear photo but there is something similar between the two carbs - a hex bolt head holding a bracket that is angled at 45 degrees - yellow in photo below. Also there is a thin cable coming at an angle ahead of the carbs - cable that is pulled by the servo - it looks too thin to be the throttle cable but looks thin.
vb.jpg

Any chance some one unplugged the servo for the vboost? Heres a short vid of mine, you can hear the servo and fuel pump just for reference.

ok, so would I be correct in saying the bike has Vboost if the module is fitted? A quick google/ebay search seems to indicate the black module, highlighted below, is the boost controller?

I have undone all 4 carb inlet rubber clamps so the air box should now lift off? That would be the sure way of telling plus I need to clean the carbs out too.

vb.png

ok, so would I be correct in saying the bike has Vboost if the module is fitted? A quick google/ebay search seems to indicate the black module, highlighted below, is the boost controller?

I have undone all 4 carb inlet rubber clamps so the air box should now lift off? That would be the sure way of telling plus I need to clean the carbs out too.

vb.png
No, you also need to have the V Boost butterflies, operating cables and servo motor.
If you can see what is shown in the photo above then the butterflies are in place; you would also be able to see if the servo is cycling when the ignition is switched on.
Yes, the airbox will come off but it may require a bit of a tug depending how long it has been undisturbed.
When refitting a wipe of silicon grease on the rubbers will facilitate it going back on.
Again, this requires a bit of effort but I push down on each corner and you will feel the airbox spigot snap onto the rubber. Do this for each corner.
The next issue you will have is relocating the breather pipe that goes fits under the airbox.
This is a thin-wall tube so will need to be reattached once the airbox has been seated.
Your best way to access it is by removing the coolant overflow bottle and use some long plies to ease it onto the spigot. Don't forget to have the clip on the tube before you do this.
An alternative is to replace the tube with some heater hose which, as it is thick walled, will slide onto the spigot as you press down on the airbox.
You will, of course, need to ensure the hose and spigot are aligned before pushing down.

I'm tempted to say yes.
vb4.jpg

and the servo is at the top, just off middle on the right?
srv2.jpg

Looks like servo motor, and intake assembly is there. What about the controller under the left scoop? Is it there and plugged in?

Back