It's back, but lost some pep...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Kratzenberg

Reaction score
Well if anyone remembers last fall how i had problems with my bike stalling out when it got hot at idle. Well i had no choice but to take it to the dealer to have them check it over cause i had no clue. Well 5 months later :bang head: they did some tests and figured out the pickup coil was bad. well i took it for a ride today and everything is good (no stalling)but it really lost some pep. i put fresh gas in it and drove it for 40 miles and it did seem to get better, but not what i was hoping for. I had to really push it to make it to 115 mph. I never had a problem doing 135 in the past. So wtf? do i just need to keep riding it cause its been sitting for 5 months or is something else wrong?
Any suggestions?

I highly doubt that riding it a lil but longer will bring back its tuning. I wish it was that easy. My bike sat all winter long with the same gas in it and I took it out for the first time last weekend and blasted her up to 140 exhaust gases smelt like ass but she ran...
Sounds as maybe something was left unplugged by the dealer most dealers are a bunch of dumb asses when it comes to working on a VMAX and most are just sloppy workers. I would get a can of seafoam for one... change the plugs, oil.. Hows the air filter,, maybe a mouse moved his home in your airbox and is blocking off the air///// start simple

Bill-I don't remember if you did the COP mod, but if not...do a visual of your coils for cracks.....seemed like mine picked up a little pep after I got rid of the cracked stock coils.

Make sure no air leaks and vacuum advance hose is on tight.

Thanks for the replys...
Dan, i did not do the cop mod, it was running good before it took it in, what are the odds of them getting cracks while sitting in the heated shop over the winter?

I will check for air leaks and the vacuum hose.
i will also clean my filters good and check plugs.

Maybe do the peashooter and add some seafoam to the tank.

Jim,
I did hear the vboost servo working, although i run stage 7 and i let it open up then unplug it.

I hope i can straighten this problem out, seems like it's always something.
I'm getting frustrated...

Thanks for the replys...
Dan, i did not do the cop mod, it was running good before it took it in, what are the odds of them getting cracks while sitting in the heated shop over the winter?

I will check for air leaks and the vacuum hose.
i will also clean my filters good and check plugs.

Maybe do the peashooter and add some seafoam to the tank.

Jim,
I did hear the vboost servo working, although i run stage 7 and i let it open up then unplug it.

I hope i can straighten this problem out, seems like it's always something.
I'm getting frustrated...

Bill-It doesn't sound very likely..I'll admit..but my '99 was in a heated garage all it's life, never riden in the rain, etc. and 3 of the 4 coils had cracks. :confused2:

Struggling to reach 115 kinda sounds like fuel related though, don't you think?

Back