Keep Missing 2nd Gear

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When getting ready to make a gear change it's putting some "up" pressure on the lever so that as soon as you get a little out the throttle it almost seems be sucked into the next gear. I was doing it when mine was acting up and it helped. I think mine was too far gone and it would jump out of gear about 2-3 times out of 10.
It must have been that mod monkey telling me to hammer the throttle all the time just knowing he'd get a mod or four outta the deal!

ah okay yea i figured but wanted to make sure.

Does pre-loading the shifter affect wear on any internal parts??:ummm:

I would check your foot shifter adjustment first. Try raising it a few millimeters and see if shifting improves any. If it's too low the shifter will bind and may not engage all the way.

I had the exact same problem . Under normal revs it was fine but give it some it would miss 2nd . The dogs were good then i raised the shifter up slightly problem solved . :punk:

When getting ready to make a gear change it's putting some "up" pressure on the lever so that as soon as you get a little out the throttle it almost seems be sucked into the next gear. I was doing it when mine was acting up and it helped. I think mine was too far gone and it would jump out of gear about 2-3 times out of 10.
It must have been that mod monkey telling me to hammer the throttle all the time just knowing he'd get a mod or four outta the deal!

I couldn't have said it better.

BrianK-5125

Shift forks.

Sean

Hey Sean,

I didn't know that the "shift forks" would wear somewhat with pre-loading.

When I "lift up" a bit during my pre-load on the shifter lever I do not feel any internal issues with my toe.

Any thoughts?

BrianK-5125
Houston

It's all about how much you are talking. It's all connected like the "hip bone to the leg bone". Preloading a little can be taking up the play where it connects to the shaft, a little more and it can take up the play from the shaft to the pins on the shift drum, a little more and now the shift drum is starting to rotate which puts pressure on the shift forks and so on. No one can know which part or parts you are actually preloading.

First thing is to get the shifter adjusted for your shoes and body position. I usually have my shifter aiming down a bit though the OEM position is almost perfectly horizontal. I keep mine down so when I am laying in the prone position I can still have enough ankle rotation left to make the shift positively.

Sean

Or if you invert or a GP style shifting. Up for first and then slam down all thru the rest.
Was mentioned before that by delaying the second gear problems it will crash an engine?
When i lost my second gear i rode the crap outa mine for maybe a year and a half before splitting the cases. and with mine the shift fork was worn but the shift DRUM had a chip out of one of the grooves.
my 02
Michael

Im having the same problem, so I guess I will try this before anything else. Will let you know how it works out when it warms up here, its 15 degrees right now.

Seems alot better now, but I still wish it shifted like my last sport bike. You would think after 20 years they would have all this crap figured out.

Back