Leaking Front Fork

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawkl

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
Thanks for the great site I've learned a bunch!!
I bought an 89 max about a month ago and after changing the front tire (not sure if it's relevent or not) I now have the throttle side fork leaking about a teaspoon of oil overnight out the very bottom of the fork. All I can feel when I reach up there is the axle bolt. I suspect I'll remove the wheel and go from there but I thought I would ask
Thanks Alot!!
Mark.

Welcome!

There's an allen bolt and a copper crush washer up in the bottom of each fork. This fastens the damper rods and the washer prevents leaking. You will need to put the bike up on jacks and then remove the front wheel. The '89 has fork oil drain screw on the side of each fork so drain the oil first. Then, get and air gun to remove that bottom bolt. You'll need to buy fork oil and new copper crush gaskets.

Mark

Wow! that was quick..
Thanks alot for your help! I'll get started and let you know how it went.

Mark.

Wow! that was quick..
Thanks alot for your help! I'll get started and let you know how it went.

Mark.

Take pictures out what you are doing and the progress you are making, if you want, and then we can add it to a common VMax knowledge base.:rocket bike:

Thanks Everybody,
It ended up just being loose. I fixed that and changed the oil in both forks to 15W and I'm back on the road...

I will be back for more questions I'm sure :rofl_200:
Thanks again,
Mark.

what weight oil does everyone use and ....this sounds dumb but whats the process of adding and or changing the oil?
Do you have to tear things apart????

I use 15 wt with Racetech front end. I think stock forks call for 10 wt. If you have early model forks, you just use the drain screws at the bottom of each fork. Otherwise, you have to take the forks off and drain....which is better anyway. It forces you to check internals and to drain oil completely.

Mark

I use 15 wt with Racetech front end. I think stock forks call for 10 wt. If you have early model forks, you just use the drain screws at the bottom of each fork. Otherwise, you have to take the forks off and drain....which is better anyway. It forces you to check internals and to drain oil completely.

Mark

1985 vmax....so, you drain them and where do you fill them?
Through the same drain?
And how much do I put in???
Clymer doesnt really say much.

You have to fill from top. Remove plastic cover top and then the fork bolt. Clymer says how much to put in. You need some plastic hose to set the level. I think it's also explained in Clymer.

Mark

Make sure the bike is on it's centre stand and you have no weight on the front wheel when you remove the fork caps or you may end up in all sorts of bother.

Latest posts

Back