Linked Brake System

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikemax04

Reaction score
Is anybody familiar with a linked brake system like they are talking about on the new Max? Was wondering if there is an advantage to having just one system activation (besides speed). Any pros or cons and what would be preferable to most?

Mike, the CBR1100XX has linked brakes. There's a front and rear brake activation. Here's Honda's explanation of it:

Means that when the only front is activated brakes are applied 1 piston on the rear is applied, If only rears are applied then 1 piston on the front is activated.
Since everyone knows how critical baking and weight transfer effects the bike capability this actually reduces it. In my opinion ABS would be a better solution.

ABS in a car is nice. but on a bike, I'd still like to have the ability to lock the rear up if I needed/wanted to.

Been in a few situations where if I hadn't been able to lock the rear and drift the bike around a corner I might have been in serious trouble.

Now on the big heavy cruisers, ABS isn't a bad idea at all.

My fathers VTX 1800 has the linked system which is actually pretty nice. Provide very even stable braking and still allows you to lock the rear if you need to without locking the front.

maleko89 said:
Mike, the CBR1100XX has linked brakes. There's a front and rear brake activation. Here's Honda's explanation of it:

Means that when the only front is activated brakes are applied 1 piston on the rear is applied, If only rears are applied then 1 piston on the front is activated.
Since everyone knows how critical baking and weight transfer effects the bike capability this actually reduces it. In my opinion ABS would be a better solution.
This must be a certain braking system Mark that doesn't incorporate ABS. I think that a linked system wouldn't be worth it without the ABS controlling the wheels. Yamaha was asking in their poll, if both systems were available, would we want them. I'm definitely for the ABS but not sure of how the linked system would feel or act. If we had the pros and cons of it, it would be easier to make such a decision. I guess it's all fairly new technology yet that will get sorted out with time.

Calimus said:
ABS in a car is nice. but on a bike, I'd still like to have the ability to lock the rear up if I needed/wanted to.

Been in a few situations where if I hadn't been able to lock the rear and drift the bike around a corner I might have been in serious trouble.

Now on the big heavy cruisers, ABS isn't a bad idea at all.

My fathers VTX 1800 has the linked system which is actually pretty nice. Provide very even stable braking and still allows you to lock the rear if you need to without locking the front.
I've had so many lock-ups in the rain and dry weather that no way will I not want ABS on BOTH wheels. As long as there are drivers with cell phones stuck in their ears, I'll need all the stopping power available. Will NOT mention gender here because of threats on my life from the better half. :eek:hyeah00:

I'm not so sure about linked breaking. I only use my rear brake to bring wheelies down that have gone too far for throttle roll off to take care of. (granted I haven't done that on the Vmax yet) and mainly use my front brake when out riding unless I'm in town. Not sure I would like not being able to personally control how much of each brake I'm using.

I might have to take a blackbird or FJR1300 out for a spin to see what it's like before I condemn the whole system though.

Some other stuff I've been reading on linked systems. Many think that it's a great thing for sport tourers, not sport bikes. I suppose that's because the professional riders want total control over the brakes.

I ran across a review on line somewhere of the FJR1300 that gives an excellent explanation of how the Yamaha linked system works .......

Back