Liquid-cooled Triumph twins 900/1200 cc

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
I like these:

Water cooled so they should last a long time. I'll take a Thruxton R front end on the Street twin, and might as well take it's piggyback shocks too. It would be great if they weighed 425 lb dry, but I assume they'll be 500 wet.

I looked at a SpeedMaster before I got the MAX, nice bikes. I like the carb look that's really fuel injection.

Always had a special place in my heart for Triumphs...one of my top 2 bikes of all time was the Trident...:worthy:

I bought a 2008 Bonnie . I fell in love with it in the show room. However, I wished I would of road it first, but I was in a panic,..2 other people had interest in it and I knew if I didn't buy it on the spot that it would be gone. They gave me the owners manual, a fancy yellow cloth to clean it with & a "battery tender". I through it in the back of my truck and made the 90 mile trip home.
The good- the fuel injection worked 100%
-the paint was very nice.
- easy shifting & positive
-good braking
- good handling at Legal speed limits
The bad-
_do not leave this bike in the rain. every chrome part will rust Fast !
- the pipes turn an ugly dark blue very fast,..& rust.
- if the battery isn't fully charged & at max amps.....the bike will turn over but Not start. That's why you get the battery tender !! Its a bitch when you are 300 miles from home on a camping trip and the bike sits for 3 days and Wont start !
- High speed wobble @ 82mph. Took it back to the Dealer and had it fixed. They had to "shim" the neck. Apparently the bearing sits to far down to get proper toque. I later took it back to the highway and buzed it up to 95mph but didn't like the "unplanted feeling".
- the stock mirrors always need adjusting "loose".
- power was good for an average rider but left me wanting.
My ridding buddy wanted it from me despite its short comings, so I sold it to him. He still owns it and loves it and rides it every day. He has had multiple rear brake issues with it and premature wheel bearing failure. The engine & tranny have given NO issues "very solid"
I can only speak for the for this model year. hopefully the have all the bugs worked out with the newer models. Not sure why they went water cooled, mine never ran hot or even close to it.

philstriumph%2000414_zpsdrd5k46h.jpg

Bought my wife an 06 Bonneville T100 two years ago when she passed her test. Apart from a spoke busting on the rear wheel the bike has been no trouble whatsoever other than routine maintenance and she rides the heck out of it with 10k clocked so far. Sure, the down pipes were blued but that's down to the stupid CA emissions air injection BS so that came off and guess what ? Now the pipes are nicely lightly bronzed and the bike runs more smoothly. It's a sweet machine to ride, very linear in performance and great brakes and handling. If hers has a downside (carburated) it's just a touch cold natured but get it warmed up and it's good to go all day and night.

Chris.

I was a big fan of the older Trumps. Almost bought one in '71 , but the local dealer was out of stock. Since he was also a Yamaha dealer he showed me the all new XS-650 4 stroke . He had one that had been traded in by a ex-triumph guy who traded every year. Apparently the '70 model he bought confirmed it was a better bike for him. No leaks or electrical issues and was a bit quicker and more reliable , so he traded for a '71 model. I bought his '70 trade in . Still got it. The Triumph was a better looking bike at the time I thought. Now though , it's kind of a toss up.

Attachments

• DSC00332.jpg
    DSC00332.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 8
  • # 1 Group Chip 306.jpg
    # 1 Group Chip 306.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 8
I was a big fan of the older Trumps. Almost bought one in '71 , but the local dealer was out of stock. Since he was also a Yamaha dealer he showed me the all new XS-650 4 stroke . He had one that had been traded in by a ex-triumph guy who traded every year. Apparently the '70 model he bought confirmed it was a better bike for him. No leaks or electrical issues and was a bit quicker and more reliable , so he traded for a '71 model. I bought his '70 trade in . Still got it. The Triumph was a better looking bike at the time I thought. Now though , it's kind of a toss up.

That's amazing you still have the old 650...and it looks sharp !! I have been looking for one for several years now, but the ones I find are basket cases, or badly butchered . Its near impossible to find one in Stock form anymore.
years ago my buddy bought a Triumph 650 Tiger and sold me his old Yamaha. I remember racing him down the highway and his back tire would be Soaked in oil LOL. "some kinda automatic chain oiler".
Here is my old thumper. no longer have it.

bikes25%208_zpskbmzj18i.jpg

I have a good story about a Yamaha XS-650 Special II that I got for free from the original owner. Ask me how...

In the spring of 1972, I went to look at a '69 BSA Rocket III 750 cc triple.
s-l500.jpg

The owner was serving in the US Army in SE Asia (guess where) and told his parents to sell his bike. I took it for a ride, it was powerful, the biggest bike I had ridden to that point. I didn't take it very far or long, and I didn't 'break the ton' on it. I took it back and passed on the $800 asking price for the BSA, which only had a few thousand miles on it and was well-worth the asking price. I took my $ and bought a new 1972 Yamaha 360 Enduro a couple of months later. I still have it.

Back