Local '81 Harley Sporty for sale... should I?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hubeerjw

Reaction score
http://desmoines.craigslist.org/mcy/1420401054.html

He is asking $1800 for a bike with whats sounds like a bad clutch. I think this would be a cheap/fun winter project. It would be fun to make it my own and not look like every other Harley out there. Just wanted to see what other people thought and to see if this sounds like a good deal. I think it would be hard to lose money on this bike, but you just never know.

Thanks,

Jeff
3ka3pf3o25Tb5Pc5S99adb2d5df2400071169.jpg

If I had $1800 and it was local I'd probably grab it, you could pat it out and make all that back if it turned out to be a total basket case

Can't hurt to go look at it....

I like the Sportsters.....

It might be chain drive.....no big deal.......

It could also be a 4 speed....I don't know when they changed....I think 1987 but don't quote me........

That might be a bigger issue.....

I am currently looking for a pre 1979 Harley frame with legal paperwork.....

Just the frame neck is all I actually need......

Hard to find though:confused2:

I called the guy and it looks like someone from Omaha beat me to it, I'll find out tomorrow morning around 10:00. :bang head: 9k miles, extra fat-bob tank, extra seat, both front and rear tires are new..... needs a battery.
Too good to be true...

I've customized a couple of ironhead sportys back in my "Harley" days. My 67 Sporty still has a special place in my heart - it was like a woman, beautiful lines and often a bitch to get revved up!

The nice thing about an ironhead, is that they can be customized in many different styles, bobber, chopper, flat track, etc... kinda like a vmax.

Mike

I've customized a couple of ironhead sportys back in my "Harley" days. My 67 Sporty still has a special place in my heart - it was like a woman, beautiful lines and often a bitch to get revved up!

The nice thing about an ironhead, is that they can be customized in many different styles, bobber, chopper, flat track, etc... kinda like a vmax.

Mike

That reminds me of the joke:
What does a woman and a Harley have in common?

They both leak for 30 minutes after riding them!!!!!:rofl_200:

Well if you guys are wanting to put together Harleys I have some parts I want to get rid of. I have a complete top end off an EVO with low miles,softtail transmission,inner & outer primary covers,Complete Heritage front end & probably some other stuff laying around.

With a child on the way... I'd say NO! My bike buying days are over for some time me thinks... lol (NO we aren't having a kid) yet...

Those old HD's were poop. I would guess you'd pile another couple grand easy into it and bikes aren't selling worth a tinkers damn!

Well, my dad and I went to look at the bike this afternoon and it is.... rough. I took it for a test ride and was o.k.... not a bike I would ride all afternoon, but it would be a good bar hopper. The guy's min. price was $1500 and we walked away.... I would have given $1200 maybe $1300, but $1500 is just too much for this bike.... maybe I'll change my mind... probably not.

Ironhead Sporty....yech. Be glad you walked away.

Them things... wow they're rough, and hard to keep on the road.

That said, I'd love to pick up an Evo Sporty one day and have fun chopping it....

Harleys....,
I just don't get them. Rode a few and only the V-Rod was fast enough to be fun. Other than that I can't feature them.
:shittystick: Now Rockatansky is a bonafide Harley guy......

Harleys....,
I just don't get them. Rode a few and only the V-Rod was fast enough to be fun. Other than that I can't feature them.
:shittystick: Now Rockatansky is a bonafide Harley guy......

Genius!!! Genius!!! Wait until I get that 800 hp Boss Hoss in my posession and then we will see who has the superior outlook on logic. The exception of function on my bike will be the fact that it will run exclusively on white lightning, a multi purpose substance known to enhance the clarity of thoughts. Like I said this weekend boy we can achieve a total paradigm shift all we have to do is sharpen the saw!!!!:punk:

I like all motorcycles, whatever name is on the side. Never owned a Harley yet, but if I found a smokin' deal on a fixer-upper I'd jump on it just to bring it back to life. If I didn't love it, I'd just flip it & make a nickel. There's always something to learn from any project. I almost bought an early 90's softail basket case last year for $2500. Somebody beat me to it - maybe next time...

Latest posts

Back