Looking for 4 brush starter

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CustomMax

Reaction score
I'm looking for a used 4 brush starter for my 92 Vmax
I went in the classified section but couldn't figure out how to post the ad. Maybe because I'm trying from my iphone. I already tried fleabay and not sure if their 2 or 4 brush. Anyone who has a used one even let me know. Thanks alot, Ed:ummm:

Yea I think Sean said he has the older 2 brush models and it was 90 I believe that they started with the newer 4 brush. Unless it's chrome ( hey that's an idea ) I hate to spend 200 bucks for something I'm not even sure that I need. Once I do get one (if needed) I can try to figure why it won't fire up. Thanks, Ed

Last edited:
I have a 2005 Vmax starter taken off a 05 with 19,000 miles. I thought my 2000 was needing a replacement starter and bought. Turned out to be the Odysessy battery. I put a Sears Die Hard in my bike and never neede the 05 starter. I will sell for $75.00 and pay shipping and insurance.

rick rash
Illinois

I have a 2005 Vmax starter taken off a 05 with 19,000 miles. I thought my 2000 was needing a replacement starter and bought. Turned out to be the Odysessy battery. I put a Sears Die Hard in my bike and never neede the 05 starter. I will sell for $75.00 and pay shipping and insurance.

rick rash
Illinois

Rick, I may just take you up on that, I'm curious as to what were the symptoms because I also have an oddysessy battery. And how did you find out it was the battery and not the starter? But if it definetly needs a starter maybe we'll have a deal. If you have any pics could you send them to my email. [email protected] Thanks alot and I'll be talking with you, Ed

My Odyessy was only 2 years old, I have the R/R and Alternator upgrades and have removed the OEM wiring harnesses for direct connect. Was out riding, stopped for gas and bike would not turn over. I have a handlebar mounted Kuryakn volt meter (the green is good and red is bad) and it showed two greens for really good. Headlight bright and all electrics good. Started with a push start okay. Went home and checked charging system: Good, battery voltage: Good. Had original 2000 starter, that must be it. Checked dealer starter price, just under $300 with my discount. Sooo, started an ebay search. Found one from Ohio dealer off a salvage 2005 bike. While waiting for starter I checked voltage while cranking at the starter, was about 9v. Rechecked all wiring, including the Heavy Duty battery ground and Hevy Duty starter cable. Okay! So took freshly recharged Odyessy to Rexx Battery, 13v, 220 cca, but bad cell. First for me, my first Odyessy was in almost 5 years. So I cut out the battery box, shifted forward 3/4" and remounted and installed a Sears Die Hard Gold. Problem Solved. Does it spin over faster? Hard to tell- just Starts Immediately even with the non choked Flatslides. Appears to me the answer was in the low voltage to the starter while cranking.

I have to thank Sean Morley for the Sears Die Hard idea. Thank you Sean since you told me about it over 2 years ago. LOL

rick rash

Ed, I can take a picture of the starter for you, but just looks like a Vmax starter. LOL
I have taken it to Rexx Battery and they say the starter Bench Tests Good. If I sold it I would stand behind it. If you are in a Northern State I could give you a 90 day warranty, especially if you already have snow, ice and salt on the ground. Just being a smart ass. ok???

rick

Ed, I can take a picture of the starter for you, but just looks like a Vmax starter. LOL
I have taken it to Rexx Battery and they say the starter Bench Tests Good. If I sold it I would stand behind it. If you are in a Northern State I could give you a 90 day warranty, especially if you already have snow, ice and salt on the ground. Just being a smart ass. ok???

rick
If you sold it to me today you could probably give me a 150 day warranty!:rofl_200:

Like I said if its the starter that's bad I'll most likely get it from you, and the reason I ask for a pic is I've seen some pretty beat up looking used starters and I'm just real picky on how things look on the bike. I'm actually considering having it chromed to go along with the rest of the bike. Did you meter the starter? I can't get it to crank but I probably can check how many volts are getting to it. Thanks, Ed

Latest posts

Back