Looking for a change..

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zakk69

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals,
I am looking to get my 2015 wrapped in Satin Black. Anybody have an idea what I will spend? Keep in mind I’ll have to have the scoops wrapped too because they are custom painted. See pic below.
Thanks, Zakk15643F10-568B-4E69-93C1-E0F350AA8600.jpeg

Also, thinking about putting the original exhaust back on? I like the Vance & Hines sound but I love the OG look! Any takers for a trade?
ZakkC329E4DF-A05B-4129-8098-5A1CAE736D68.jpeg

I got a quote last fall for a protective clear wrap on my 2019. This kid wanted $1200! Granted I only got one quote, the prices probably vary from shop to shop like anything else.
I just don’t know enough about it to drop that kind of coin on a non permanent high tech Saran Wrap. What I do know is the more complicated the shapes to wrap, the greater chance lesser capable wrappers abilities will show and the greater the chances of product not lasting.
As for me I’d rather go with paint. For around the same money, I know what to expect when done right. Definitely more professional paint shops to chose from with established reputations. YMMV.

Wow, $1200 seems really expensive.

Have you considered hydro dipping film?

Also, thinking about putting the original exhaust back on? I like the Vance & Hines sound but I love the OG look! Any takers for a trade?
ZakkView attachment 75816
I love the color ... I wouldn't change that.

I have a Raven Black one .... kinda boring

Does your bike have a Power Commander?
Not sure if it is so easy to revert back to stock look.

Wow, $1200 seems really expensive.

Have you considered hydro dipping film?

What made me finally pull the trigger on my Vmax is when they started murdering them out in Raven Black in 2018. Very fitting IMO for this machine. However the finish is prone to swirls and scratches since you can’t buff out a satin finish. That’s why I looked into a clear protective film.
This hydro dipping seems interesting but is it more decorative than protective? Looks like a thin barrier by its very nature.

Last edited:
What made me finally pull the trigger on my Vmax is when they started mudering them out in Raven Black in 2018. Very fitting IMO for this machine. However the finish is prone to swirls and scratches since you can’t buff out a satin finish. That’s why I looked into a clear protective film.
This hydro dipping seems interesting but is it more decorative than protective? Looks like a thin barrier by its very nature.
I have a 2019, and I too was inspired by the Raven black look. I was surprised however when I saw it in bright daylight. Every part of the bike is either a different shade of black or a different gloss level. I repainted my scoops the same colour as the engine block. The original paint on them was very thin and inconsistent in colour and gloss.

TBH I have no idea but seen videos of it applied to car wheels and rifles. No mention about durability.

Vinyl wrapping is potentially a DIY job with the appropriate hot air gun, again there are videos out there, I saw one a little time back doing the front bumper (fender) on a car that was reasonably complex.

Apart from the scoops, the panels are relatively flat so should not be that difficult to do and being relatively small, would not cost too much in vinyl if mistakes are made.

I believe the secret is to use top quality vinyl.

Re paint, a number of top end cars, Range Rover and Aston Martin come in a matt black finish so must have some sort of protective coat that doesn't turn the paint to gloss.... but I'll bet that paint isn't going to be cheap.

Whilst on the subject of paint, one of the more expensive paints I came across was colour changing which contains LCD crystals but that seems to have gone out of fashion. Was popular on custom bikes.

Hydro dip requires a quality paint job first , prep is everything basecoat , then the hydro dip is like ink or artwork applied by film floating over water , then a quality clear coat over everything in the end. It's like an airbrush job without the fine artist, just as durable as any paint job and better than vinyl.

Back