Looking for ideas.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blaxmax

Reaction score
Good Old #161 now has 12,000 miles on him (not a her cuz she ain't pretty, you will see below) And after 350 miles on a new set of stock plugs (indexed) they come out looking like this.
Stock airbox-Stock carbs all the way except for mains 157.5.--bumped air from 90 to 100.
Stock pipe (drilled)
A/F screws at 2 1/2 turns out
Cops-R1-12900-4400
Plugs gapped at 35
Altitude is just below sea level and temps have been over 110 for the last 4 months-solid- today was a cooler 108.
Thanks in advance for the ideas.

Looks and sounds like this--
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLgdPkrSJY0

Attachments

• SANY0002.jpg
    SANY0002.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 75
  • SANY0006.jpg
    SANY0006.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 70
I'd leave them where it's at. With the stock air box the plugs will always look lean. You really need an a/f meter with the stock air box in place. I've seen people with an A/F down to 12.3-12.5 on a dyno and the plugs will still come out virtually white.

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

Double check the spec for plug gap with cop's. I'm almost certain you have them gapped too wide. I installed cops and I think I'm running a .24" gap now.

Double check the spec for plug gap with cop's. I'm almost certain you have them gapped too wide. I installed cops and I think I'm running a .24" gap now.
It depends if your running cops with resistors or without. With....the gap should be .026.....without .035.

Thanks Dragmaxster- I appreciate the compliment.

Id try some 160 mains, those are definately lean. Whats your paj2 and pfj at?

Stock.

I'd leave them where it's at. With the stock air box the plugs will always look lean. You really need an a/f meter with the stock air box in place. I've seen people with an A/F down to 12.3-12.5 on a dyno and the plugs will still come out virtually white.

Thanks traum but i have a small surge if i cruise at 55mph-65mph and it's annoying.
Felt lean so i pulled the plugs to check it out.

What made you put the jets in that you are currently running?
I would think 150 mains and everything else stock would be a good place to start.

The PO was as much higher altitude.I was looking to increase performance and mpg- it did pick up alot of speed and increased mileage from 38mpg to 44.

Thanks jethro- i did that already also trying difference types of plugs and stock plugs gapped at 35-38 worked best-no resistors.

sounds like the idle is a little low, but not too bad..

I was just thinking.....you might wanna check with dragmaxter. ...your setup is a copy of his....including being below sea level.....and also 44 mpg. I wonder if he has a surge in the same area? Just a coincidence I guess.

+1
Appears to also have the exact same lever to manually open vboost as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's the one who installed it for me. He was sitting in my garage one day looking at 2 kawasaki bicycles i have when he came up with the idea.

Also has the same larger core radiator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And we are both from Texas too.
I remember sending one to Canada so there is a guy up there with the same model radiator too.
I really appreciate your help.

I guess if he was really observant he would notice one was from the front brake lever and the other was from the rear brake lever. That's why yours is upsidedown.
He believe he watches too many detective shows.
Did you get that midrange surge out yet? Check your float height. Plugs look like your not getting enough gas.
I like adambweirds idea bumping the mains just don't get out of the paj's range.

My plugs with the Stock Airbox (K&N filter), Stock jetting, COPS (with resistors), Gaps set at .026 and Supertrapps, look a LOT better than yours.
I'm at around 700 feet above sea level.
And they looked just as good with stock jetting and drilled stock pipes when I lived in Raleigh, NC (315 feet above sea level).
And I spent a LOT of time at the beaches in NC and SC (Obviously at Sea Level) and never had an issue with the bike running lean.

I'd revert ALL your jets to stock as shown in this chart:
attachment.php

Attachments

• Vmax_Spark_Plug_Color.jpg
    Vmax_Spark_Plug_Color.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 17
  • Vmax-Full-Power-Guide-Chart-2.jpg
    Vmax-Full-Power-Guide-Chart-2.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 61
Thanks Dennis, Don't get me wrong it is running great with the larger mains a lot more pull for sure, it just has a tiny surge now holding it at 55mph. Maybe i'll split the difference in the paj and go with a 95, Thanks for the chart. I appreciate it.

Are you sure you don't have a Vacuum leak somewhere letting too much air into your carbs ?
With the Stock pipes, air box and larger main jets I'd think your bike would be running a bit rich, not lean.
Also are you sure your fuel pump is working properly and the fuel filter is clean so you're getting enough fuel.

You might also want to do the Shotgun and Peashooter just to make sure your idle circuit is clean as well.

Are you sure you don't have a Vacuum leak somewhere letting too much air into your carbs ?
With the Stock pipes, air box and larger main jets I'd think your bike would be running a bit rich, not lean.
Also are you sure your fuel pump is working properly and the fuel filter is clean so you're getting enough fuel.

You might also want to do the Shotgun and Peashooter just to make sure your idle circuit is clean as well.

I talked with Dannymax a few months ago and told him i had just purchased a '85 and he suggested looking for cracked intakes so I have since then purchased new ones and installed them. Fuel pump did the flip with the 2 rubbers constantly running and repaired that. Installed a new single K&N and made sure the airbox was on tight. No leaks. Syncs up great. Runs from idle to top end sooooo much better than with the stock main jets. Behind me is a road that goes over 5000 ft in less than 50 miles.
At below sea level here it runs great- of course when it gets up in that altitude it leans out- so the plugs say.
I also thought putting in 157.5 mains without changing anything else would richen it up as i am jumping up 2 steps.
Also have 2 inline fuel filters with removable filters for cleaning.
I have a set of 155's but now it makes me think if i put them in it will get leaner.

Back