Looking hard at gen2,some questions

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VEEMAX1998

Reaction score
After 10 years w beloved Gen1,am thinking of gen2..I'm aware of external mods for it,but was wondering if anyone has made/tried,cams,pistons,head mods etc? I suspect with the right mods this bike should be in the 220-240rwhp league according to cc to hp ration of big sport bike,adventure bike motors currently on market..thank you,Randy

We are in the very slow process of doing just this. The cam situation isn't so easy since it's got the pressed on gear and without a way to slot the gear to adjust timing it may not give the full advantages of going larger if the company doing the weld up doesn't get it just right.

We are doing +3mm overbore on this first test engine.

After 10 years w beloved Gen1,am thinking of gen2..I'm aware of external mods for it,but was wondering if anyone has made/tried,cams,pistons,head mods etc? I suspect with the right mods this bike should be in the 220-240rwhp league according to cc to hp ration of big sport bike,adventure bike motors currently on market..thank you,Randy

There are no internal hop up parts available currently for the Gen 2.

200 RWHP is attainable fairly inexpensively with a pipe, intake, and tune (ECU re-flash). Although there are smaller displacement bikes (Kawi 14R for instance) capable of 200 HP, the bigger VMax engine provides far superior TQ at all rpms making it a real treat to ride.

Last edited:
Randy that hp you are trying to get to with the Gen 2 might be or should be able to hit but it will take engine work or a chaindrive and none of those are available at this time. Would be nice though. I have 10geees burning a hole in my pocket for a chaindrive and as of yet nuttin.
Well there is one but no one trust his work and time and the reliability of the product, so I will wait and see.

Sean,should have known you would be on top of this..that magical 200 rwhp has escaped me on the dyno sheets I've seen mid 180's, w external mods,but I could have missed seeing them..Guess the tork is the trade off for lower peak hp,I got that..Just had total replacement shoulder surgery 8 days ago,will be riding in bout 4-6wks hopefully,then will start looking in earnest...I see some ads out there at 6-7K for 2009's,but I think they are fake,maybe 12-15K more like it..btw,any progress made on increasing gas mileage/ I would like to make a gen2 into a sort of sport tourer,but this hurdle seems insurmountable,even the massive rocket3 gets 33ish,wonder if the heads-flow is the issue?.. Thanks

Sean,should have known you would be on top of this..that magical 200 rwhp has escaped me on the dyno sheets I've seen mid 180's, w external mods,but I could have missed seeing them..Guess the tork is the trade off for lower peak hp,I got that..Just had total replacement shoulder surgery 8 days ago,will be riding in bout 4-6wks hopefully,then will start looking in earnest...I see some ads out there at 6-7K for 2009's,but I think they are fake,maybe 12-15K more like it..btw,any progress made on increasing gas mileage/ I would like to make a gen2 into a sort of sport tourer,but this hurdle seems insurmountable,even the massive rocket3 gets 33ish,wonder if the heads-flow is the issue?.. Thanks

Dyno graph of a Gen 2 with all the best bolt ons. There are several bikes I know of above 200....and many in the mid to high 190's.

The TQ is awesome fun.......around 80 lbs at only 2500 rpm. I left a 200 + HP Kawi 14R for dead in a 2nd gear roll on from around 30 mph.....he didn't go around me until I was topped out in 5th gear for a while.

202.jpg

The progress is going VERY slowly but there is progress - rest assured. We have 2 engines we're experimenting with.

Back