Looking to buy a 2012 vmax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drube

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm just trying to learn all I can about the 2012 model. Are there any issues I should be aware of? The Vmax i'm looking at has 14,000 miles on it and they're asking 8600. Any info would be great.
Thanks

No issues really......and all VMax's from 2009 to 2020 are essentially identical except for the body color.

If it's been well taken if it should be obvious with a close inspection. Service records are a plus....... although not much other than oil changes will have been necessary with that mileage.

I had to choose between a 2009 with 4k miles for 9500 and a 2019 0 miles for 14500 ... plus tax etc, from a Dealership.

2009 were the only ones to have a recall for the wiring harness, and oil pump issues, and I think it was only the first half of the 2009s that had those issues. Just run the VIN with a dealer to see if they have been done. Other than that, just ride the hell out of it, and enjoy it. Just watch out for the mod monkey, he bit me a few times lol. Exhaust, re-flash, cat delete, tail tidy, and halos. I think he's gone for now.

2009 were the only ones to have a recall for the wiring harness, and oil pump issues, and I think it was only the first half of the 2009s that had those issues. Just run the VIN with a dealer to see if they have been done. Other than that, just ride the hell out of it, and enjoy it. Just watch out for the mod monkey, he bit me a few times lol. Exhaust, re-flash, cat delete, tail tidy, and halos. I think he's gone for now.

Still <100 miles but changed the tail (Amazon Aluminum Bracket and selfmade adapter (3D printed, yes, I trust it ... ), installed LEDs, Brakelight Flasher, LED Flasher relay, got rid of the boring turn signals, Halos are already here ... working on it. :)
Next will be a PDM60 (Power Distribution Module). Had this on my BMW, but as I'm planning to sell the K1300S, I reversed everything I did to her...
The PDM is quite nice. If you need power somewhere (GPS, Mobile, anything else) you just connect it to the battery (fused or not), to ignition power and ground. You can limit each and every output to a certain current AND you can define if this output has power after shutting off the ignition. So no relays anymore.
If this thing also detects a short in an output, it shuts this one down without blowing a fuse.

Nice. I just added a USB port to my battery tender lead. It's mounted by the left hand controls with a water proof cover, all I need for power. Not big into using GPS when I ride unless it's someplace I need to go. Usually I just ride any road that looks fun lol. Phone spends more time in the tail bag than it does in the holder on the bars. I don't have the factory signals any more, halos took care of the fronts, and the rear has a smoked integrated tail light, I got the relay for LED lights also. I think I'm done modding for now, I just need to start integrating some painted neon green parts, Zeus will look like Zeus.

You know, once you start, you cannot end. :) I had a Tankbag (SW Motech) which was mounted on the Gascap (quick release) which had power inside as well. My Seat was a Corbin, heated. I was worried if I forget to switch it off or somebody is turning it on while I'm away, might drain the battery. BMW has already a connector which carries power 5mins after you switch off the bike, I used it for a while, but then tapped the running light.
The guys who installed the Power Commander and Autotune Module (which is why I needed power as well) tapped into the wire going to the tail light, which is normally a good idea IF your bike has a 3 wire connection, 1 for Running Light, 1 for Brake, one for Ground. But the K1300S has a PWM Signal controlling Running Light / Brake Light, so at Running Light maybe a level of 3 Volt.
I had also additional LED Pods installed (power came from the PWM, but switched via Relay).
And a hidden connector for a Jump Starter. ;)

To route the wires was a Nightmare. No space in the front where the Battery was installed, so I had to route wires to the back where I installed everything and routed it to the places where needed...
Fuses where needed. Distribution Blocks etc.

Anyway, was fun to do, my Cruiser is already prepared ... but the Max, not sure to which extend. ;) Mod Monkey is calling :D

Budget some extra money.......mods on the gen 2 are more expensive than on the Gen 1.

In the last 2 years, Ive put on a hindle 4-1, reflashed ecu, PCV, autotune, and Pod300, frame sliders, TT airbox mod, and healtech quickshifter.

They are great bikes though and you will have no issues.

Thanks guys! I'm really looking forward to getting it. I didn't know 2009 through 2020 were the same except for color. Good to know. Are there any racks available for the rear to strap my lunch box to it so I can ride to work every day?

Thanks guys! I'm really looking forward to getting it. I didn't know 2009 through 2020 were the same except for color. Good to know. Are there any racks available for the rear to strap my lunch box to it so I can ride to work every day?

Yamaha sells a small passenger sissy bar with and a small luggage rack.

Budget some extra money.......mods on the gen 2 are more expensive than on the Gen 1.

In the last 2 years, Ive put on a hindle 4-1, reflashed ecu, PCV, autotune, and Pod300, frame sliders, TT airbox mod, and healtech quickshifter.

They are great bikes though and you will have no issues.

My agenda. :D

What is the advantage of the healtech over the one from Dynojet? Any difference?
I have the Dynojet Quickshifter on my K1300S, selfmade rod (got one from the junkyard, left & right handed thread).
I know BMW has the Quickshifter option, but adding is expensive.

Your right on not being able to stop after you start. Right now mod monkey is in the saving cage, for a s/c mod next year if everything goes right. I need to start doing some research to see if it's something I really want to do. But for now I got my Max how I want it. I don't mind wiring, I actually like wiring stuff up, but I hate routing wires lol. I'm really OCD, so if it don't look right, it comes back out and I start over. If it's rubbing on something, I start over lol. I don't like doing things twice. I bet I ran the wires 6 times for my halos before I found where I wanted them lol. I might get heated grips at some point, but that will be it for heated accessories. If I could find a set of hand guards the would fit the Vmax I would go with those instead, keep the cold air off the outside of my fingers. But I usually stop and warm up my hands with the engine, and warm up my gloves with the exhaust. But living in the South east I don't ride in the cold much, it's usually 90 plus with all the humidity you can't stand lol.

You sound like me ... When I re-wired everything, it took me ages to find good routes, all for the sake of the mod monkey.
When I could find a good topcase mount, I also did my own one, 1/8" aluminum plate, reinforced with some steel bars to minimize the wobble.
The 'interface' was 3D printed, but designed in a way, it does not get stressed while riding, so it did not break. Same for the RAM Mounts....

Heated grips are ok. In winter it is about down to 40 degrees here in Phoenix ... and at some higher regions there is even snow.
But since I moved away from Germany, I'm happy NOT seeing snow. :D
But the heated grips and the ball-cooking-device aka Corbin heated seat did their jobs.

But before going that far, doing some 'bigger' mods, I will wait until I had the 600miles inspection.
As of now, everything is easily reversible, but once it starts with Exhaust, PCV, Autotune etc ...

Hi guys, I'm just trying to learn all I can about the 2012 model. Are there any issues I should be aware of? The Vmax i'm looking at has 14,000 miles on it and they're asking 8600. Any info would be great.
Thanks

I have a 2012 for sale soon with less miles that I just bought and then I got some bad health news...Where are you located? Mine has a rack and quite a few other cosmetic options...Give me a call @ 323 244 0877...I'm in Socal and bike is pristine.

Greg

Last edited:
You sound like me ... When I re-wired everything, it took me ages to find good routes, all for the sake of the mod monkey.
When I could find a good topcase mount, I also did my own one, 1/8" aluminum plate, reinforced with some steel bars to minimize the wobble.
The 'interface' was 3D printed, but designed in a way, it does not get stressed while riding, so it did not break. Same for the RAM Mounts....

Heated grips are ok. In winter it is about down to 40 degrees here in Phoenix ... and at some higher regions there is even snow.
But since I moved away from Germany, I'm happy NOT seeing snow. :D
But the heated grips and the ball-cooking-device aka Corbin heated seat did their jobs.

But before going that far, doing some 'bigger' mods, I will wait until I had the 600miles inspection.
As of now, everything is easily reversible, but once it starts with Exhaust, PCV, Autotune etc ...

Yeah, I hear you on snow, my wife and I moved to the South east from the Northeast, upstate NY. I don't miss the snow, and riding mostly year round is a huge kicker. I love the heat so it doesn't bother me much. I'm getting to the point that I feel I might move further south, possibly out of the states lol, I just hate the cold anymore. Might have to do with the fact that when I was growing up I was always outside unless it was raining. I'd be outside till dark or longer. Winter time, summer time didn't matter. When Mom or Dad hollered for me, it was time to go in. Arizona was actually my second choice on locations to live, Australia was first, Southeast was third. It won because we have some family near by.

Can feel you. :D

Some years ago, my Motorbike was my only transportation, I had a Suzuki GS500E and I had to park it outside all the time.
One day, it was raining like hell and the seat was soaked with water. It froze over night ... lot of snow ... this was fun, riding an Iceblock in Snow when the wheels kept spinning even in 6th gear ... I remember a Lady who tailgated me and gave me lot of signals to move faster ... which I couldn't do ...

Can feel you. :D

Some years ago, my Motorbike was my only transportation, I had a Suzuki GS500E and I had to park it outside all the time.
One day, it was raining like hell and the seat was soaked with water. It froze over night ... lot of snow ... this was fun, riding an Iceblock in Snow when the wheels kept spinning even in 6th gear ... I remember a Lady who tailgated me and gave me lot of signals to move faster ... which I couldn't do ...

I'm betting you are glad to live where it's warm, I think I would have called in sick lol. I couldn't imagine riding on snow covered roads, I used to ride my bicycle in the snow, what a chore that was.

I'm betting you are glad to live where it's warm, I think I would have called in sick lol. I couldn't imagine riding on snow covered roads, I used to ride my bicycle in the snow, what a chore that was.

Couldn't do ... but I love a RWD in Snow :D :D :D But cage, not bike.

Back