Looking to buy a Vmax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roketman302

Reaction score
First I would like to say hi to everyone,

I need some advice on a Vmax I am looking to buy. It is a 1988 with 44,000 miles and the price is $1800. I was told by the owner that there is a knock in the motor at idle. It does go away around 1000 rpms. I searched the threads a read a post that this is common on some yamaha bikes. I am afraid with 44,000 miles on it, it my not be the common knock. I am used to auto motors and when you hear a knock in the motor, you are looking valves, rods, bearings, etc.

I started out with a 78 XS1100. I really enjoyed the bike but parts were getting very hard to get. I have always thought the Vmax was a unique bike and this is a chance to get one. I just don't want to buy some one elses problem. Any advice would really be appreciated.

I know for me a knock would be a bad sign. Can you feel the knock when you put your hand on it? Does it go away when you throttle it?
I'm not the best judge of motorcycles issues, I'm sure others with more experience will chime in. But I have bought a few vehicles in my time, and helped others. And I know a knock of any kind is something to walk away from.
Unless of course you are mechanically inclined and are willing to spend the extra money to fix the problem.
If the Max is in great condition other than the knock, it may be a good deal to spend a little more on fixing the knock.
But it's a gamble you have to decide on weather you want to take it or not.
If the owner can not sufficiently explain what the knock is and why he is selling it in that condition. Then I would continue to look elsewhere.

A worn clutch basket can make a knocking sound but it goes away when you pull in the clutch. That doesn't really sound like the knocking your talking about so you may want to pass on this VMax.

Back