lost

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
so my second hand 07 max (stock?) has 6500 km now (5000 when i bought it 3 mo. ago) and seems to have developed a clicking and ticking noise - first question are valves the likely suspect? definitely seems to be coming from the heads and particularly from the rear closest to the seat - the bike has a manual vboost switch that really kicked in at 3000 rpm but for the past couple weeks has definitely lost power - started around same time as the ticking noise - ive pulled the plugs they all had some dry black carbon build up - also when i pulled the air filter box it was pretty wet - kind of coffee colored fluid inside - q2 what the hell is that about? -now for the carbs i notice the brass screws are visible (no plugs to drill out) so maybe the jets have been played with already ? are these brass screws the ones that are talked about being screwed all the way in then like 2 1/2 turns out for adjustment? -can somebody tell me about the slot screw adjustments (2 on right side of bike and 1 on left) as well as the kind of knob style adjuster on the left side (are they all idle adjusters?) i had a 98 max that required nothing but gas and oil change and have had 2 harleys that i replaced and serviced carbs on (mikuni 42 and 45) but none of them had 4 carbs to try to set up and right now im lost trying to regain the power i had just a few weeks ago - little help please?

The one screw on the left and two on the right are the syncronizing screws.Best not to mess with those till you get mercury sticks or something else to sycronize them.You will need to learn how to do this.

The one screw on the left and two on the right are the syncronizing screws.Best not to mess with those till you get mercury sticks or something else to sycronize them.You will need to learn how to do this.

i read the entire carb section today but have never seen let alone used that tool - im interested in learning though if you think the carbs are the problem - if they werent before, they may be now - stupid fingers of mine cant stop touching and turning everything that looks like it will be some sort of adjustment:bang head:

that dont look too hard to figure out - i take it the nipples on the machine hooks to the hoses and the next set of nipples connect the hoses to the hoses running off the carb (the ones that are exposed and held by the fake chrome trim plates near the synch screws) am i on the right track?

i googled it and found the ez instructions - ok no problem - now - anybody have any tips on my clicking (valves ?) problem - should i try to synch the carbs first and see if that helps the clicking or should i attempt to adjust valves , relieve clicking then synch up carbs?

i googled it and found the ez instructions - ok no problem - now - anybody have any tips on my clicking (valves ?) problem - should i try to synch the carbs first and see if that helps the clicking or should i attempt to adjust valves , relieve clicking then synch up carbs?

Its really hard for me to believe an 07 is already having valve adjustment problems already.They should go 26,000 miles till they even need looked at.I think you have a better chance of having an exhaust leak that is ticking.Do you have any warranty?
Is it the front or rear? The rear pipes have 2 places that could be leaking,the flange on the head and a donut type a few inches down the pipes.

stupid stupid stupid
29.gif
- exhaust was the first thing i thought of 3 weeks ago but within minutes my fat fingers started turning adjuster screws and then more power loss and by that time my mind led me to believe i had been racing and beating it too hard and fakked up something more mechanical (read valves)- besides, which is more fun - tightening exhaust flange bolts or ripping off heads and carbs?? it runs and runs relatively well right now ill tighten up evry exhaust bolt first and see if the ticking noise subsides then try to sync the carbs- i found a DAYTONA brand name sync tool at my local shop that has 4 vaccuum guages inline and 4 hoses with nipples -cost about 150 US when converted from yen - i guess now that ive played with the screws so much its definitely necessary - the ticking is from the rear cylinders - closest to the seat - thanks for the advice shawn and the pic tahoe - let you know what happens soon

i tightened the exhaust bolts and still got a ticking noise but i took the bike back to the shop i bought it from and they had the carbs synched in 30 min. digital type synch tool -and i learnt how it was done - simple - i didnt want to bring it back there because i worried if they realized i was DIY 'ing it they may not include it in the warranty (its japan man - you'd be surprised) but the technician remembered me and likes to try out his english when he can so he said we'd keep it a secret - there was another 07 max just leaving when i got there with OVER exhaust - real growly but his had a ticking noise as well - hard to hear over the pipes but it was there - the tech said he thought the ticking was pretty normal for max-also said the same thing as shawn about the valves - should be good for a long time yet - i beat the hell out of the thing for the rest of the afternoon and flipped it to reserve as i pulled into my garage - its like a rocket once again - a very thirsty rocket - next is exhaust mod
thanks for the replies:cheers:

Attachments

• IMG_1466.jpg
    IMG_1466.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1474.jpg
    IMG_1474.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 15
  • CA390025.JPG
    CA390025.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 15
that place is in kawasaki - near tokyo about 20 min by bike from my place crazy bikes on those pages eh? i have no idea how they keep them running here so modified - when you buy a bike here you get a shaken (shaw-ken) certificate like registration and its good for 2 years then you have to have a gov't inspection every 2 years to re- register and its pretty strict - i know from 2 custom HDs that a couple weeks before the inspection youre tearing most mods off to get it to pass for another 2 years - with HD its a matter of changing back to stock pipes, handlebars and lights, winkers and the like - with something like those in the pics from esper i have no idea - maybe they have a connection somewhere (insert lots of yen here!!) if youre running google tool bar and you re on a page from them right click your mouse - scroll down to page info -new menu pops up click translate page to english

as for the white and black paint thats mine -first thing i did when i got it - i love the muscle car look - old stangs and camaros
- as for 100000000yen tacos - in jap taco means octopus - taco yaki is a delicacy here - its a piece of octopus wrapped in a dough and fried covered with fresh red ginger mayo and some sweet brown sauce - - sold at rest areas along the highways as well as baseball games - i gotta say its pretty good with a cold beer on summer day:biglaugh: - id still rather taco bell though but they aint here

i tightened the exhaust bolts and still got a ticking noise but i took the bike back to the shop i bought it from and they had the carbs synched in 30 min. digital type synch tool -and i learnt how it was done - simple - i didnt want to bring it back there because i worried if they realized i was DIY 'ing it they may not include it in the warranty (its japan man - you'd be surprised) but the technician remembered me and likes to try out his english when he can so he said we'd keep it a secret - there was another 07 max just leaving when i got there with OVER exhaust - real growly but his had a ticking noise as well - hard to hear over the pipes but it was there - the tech said he thought the ticking was pretty normal for max-also said the same thing as shawn about the valves - should be good for a long time yet - i beat the hell out of the thing for the rest of the afternoon and flipped it to reserve as i pulled into my garage - its like a rocket once again - a very thirsty rocket - next is exhaust mod
thanks for the replies:cheers:

That is a sweet looking color scheme...
I like those mirrors too.
NICE!
:thumbs up:

Latest posts

Back