Masters

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For something out of a rattlecan the paint I used recently to paint my new sidecovers worked wonderfully. It "flowed" good enough to be really smooth after spraying it on. Lokks almost as good as the factory engine finish. It was Hi temp motorcycle engine paint in gloss black and I believe it also said something about being for motorcycle cases on the can. The can was mostly black with some yellow graphics on it and I bought it at a non brand specific motorcycle supply house.

Other than that I would recommend powdercoating them. And remember; prep is everything when it comes to painting.

Has anyone just cleaned them off and tried to polish them ? I seen a plain cheap chrome one today for $ 35 at the local rippers. Nothing inscribed on them, they just looked to cheap, even for me ! :biglaugh:

Sportmax or UFO sells the stock ones polished so I'm sure they can be polished.
Problem is they are such an irregular shape keeping them polished while still on the bike would be a bitch. My polished sidecovers, scoops, grabrail etc are a major pain in the ass to keep looking good and I plan on chroming them as soon as I can.

Does anyone make a nice cover for these, say in satin black, or perhaps a stainless steel that would match the handle bar mount deal?

If you repaint the stockers I would bead blast them and then have the powder coated. The powder puts up with brake fluid better than regular paint. Anodizing is the best though...:thumbs up:

If you repaint the stockers I would bead blast them and then have the powder coated. The powder puts up with brake fluid better than regular paint. Anodizing is the best though...:thumbs up:

You could also convert your bike to dot5 which runs cooler and does not affect paint or aluminum.You only have to drain the dot3 then switch to dot5.Its a little more money but well worth it.

Sportmax or UFO sells the stock ones polished so I'm sure they can be polished.
Problem is they are such an irregular shape keeping them polished while still on the bike would be a bitch. My polished sidecovers, scoops, grabrail etc are a major pain in the ass to keep looking good and I plan on chroming them as soon as I can.

I screwed my stock ones onto a board with drywall screws then filed all the writing and lines off.Sanded then buffed them.Now they just say yamaha.

You could also convert your bike to dot5 which runs cooler and does not affect paint or aluminum.You only have to drain the dot3 then switch to dot5.Its a little more money but well worth it.

Actually everything I've read says that ALL the DOT3 and 4 has to be completely out of the system. Meaning tear down the calipers and clean with brake clean as well as all the lines and masters...

I use Valvoline Synpower which has a much higher boiling point then standard 3 or 4.

The nice thing about 5 is that it's hydrophobic and as you pointed out safe on painted surfaces.:thumbs up:

Like Shawn, I filed then sanded the tops flat so the only detail on the top of the cover was the well with Yamaha on it. I then painted the covers with Duplicolor Ceramic Satin Black Engine Enamel. The Satin Black matches my bike better than gloss. I have had no problem with the paint coming off, so far at least.

:banana:

Back