Mesh Jacket

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kronx

Reaction score
I got a feeling it's going to be a brutal summer here in St. Louis. I was looking at possibly picking up a mesh jacket. I was looking at the Joe Rocket Velocity Jacket. My girlfriend got a Joe Rocket jacket last year for when she rides with me and I must admit I was impressed with it's quality and features.

Do you have a mesh jacket? Any recommendations? I'm looking for awesome airflow.

Olympia airglide... If you're "American shaped" it's great. They're on the fourth iteration at this point. Really good jacket.

I have a Vega similar to the Mainstay. It's two layers of mesh with a big back pad, shoulder pads, and good sized elbow pads. I stay comfortable even into the triple digits. I've had it 2 years and it still looks good.

I'm 6'1" and weigh around 180, so fairly tall and thin.
I just bought this this Jacket (Large) as a "I will absolutely ride again" Jacket after my accident:
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/river-road-sedona-mesh-jacket
I haven't ridden with it yet but I have worn it a few times and I'm very happy with it.
I actually found it on sale for $59, so it was too good a price to pass up.
It fits me well and has a lot of pockets.
It has a full sleeve quilted liner than seems pretty warm (I wore it out in 15 degree F weather here, but obviously I wasn't riding).
And with the liner zipped out, it seems like it will have fantastic air follow. It's pretty much see through.
The armor feels a bit weird to me but I've never had a jacket with armor before and I'm getting more used to it as I wear it.

Last edited:
reactor (joe rocket) great jacket make sure you get a liner so you can use it all season. the liner is great. i even keep it in my bag on long trips incase it rain's.

I have had the same Joe Rocket jacket for a little over 10 years and it is still holding up strong (new it was around $150). It is a mesh armored shell with a wind/water liner that can be added quickly. I live in FL and wear it year round for longer rides, for the short stuff I stick with helmet + gloves only. My wife has a tourmaster jacket that I think is a slight upgrade to what I have, it is essentially the same thing except it has 2 liners. One insulated liner for when the temperatures drop and the other just like mine, as simple wind/water one.

That wind/water liner works. I take mine on days i dont take the coat it packs nice and its warm if i get a late night or morning chill. Thats all i took to thunder with me two years ago and i put it on to go home and it kept me warm but when it was warm enough i took it of. it dont let any wind pass through and i averged well lets just say i got home fast and that liner was like a kite in the wind at them speeds. so it has a down fall but it dont do it with the coat on. I like it alot.

Mine got FULL of bugs, dead in front and still crawling in the mesh on my back!
Too bad, its a cool lookin jacket otherwise.

I have a great wife and she knows all the cleaning tricks.

I have a Joe Rocket Ballistic series mesh jacket. So old-- it's before they had liners!!!! Works great in warm weather ----- of which we have had NONE since last summer.
Lew

I also have an old Joe Rocket Ballistic, it's the first series they made. It has two layers of padding, one is sewn-in & the second is in pockets so it's removable.

It wears like iron for durability, but it is very functional and flows a lot of air. I have a last-season Fieldsheer mesh jacket w/a liner but the venerable Joe Rocket flows more air. I find myself grabbing the JR most-often. Throw it in the wash, and it comes-out clean-smelling and looking great. I let it air dry, I don't reccommend using a dryer.

Having had a couple of road accidents neither of which was my fault, I have found that the protection is well-worth the minimal discomfort, even as temps in the summer soar close to triple-digits, and the humidity is high. Having-seen my share of fire-rescue calls involving bikes, I will always wear my gear.

I have a Joe Rocket Ballistic series mesh jacket. So old-- it's before they had liners!!!! Works great in warm weather ----- of which we have had NONE since last summer.
Lew

I have a First Gear mesh jacket that works well. Mine is two generations behind so don't know about the latest version. I have always been a fan of First Gear though. Do not confuse with a brand called First which is lesser quality.

Back