Messed it up

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

albran

Reaction score
The first owner :wacko: and I have REALLY messed up my rear wheel.

Looks like the first owner TRIED to change the rear rotor.
He used a Torx instead of the SUPPLIED hex wrench.
He completely rounded 2 of the hex holes into ROUND holes, pretty much messed up 2 more and evidently gave up and left the other 2 alone.
I was able to get 4 out but not those 2.

Now it's my turn :icon_rolleyes:.
I drilled the first stuck an easy out in and BROKE :bang head: it off.

Any and all sympathy and SUGGESTIONS will be appreciated.

I'm looking for a good machine shop.

Thanks
ab

You can buy special drill bits that are made for removing stripped screw heads. might be able to find large ones to fit stripped out hex holes? They come in different sizes and work very well.
I got a set from sears, Might be worth looking into.

or can you get a set of vice grips around the head and twist them free?

You can buy special drill bits that are made for removing stripped screw heads. might be able to find large ones to fit stripped out hex holes? They come in different sizes and work very well.
I got a set from sears, Might be worth looking into.

or can you get a set of vice grips around the head and twist them free?
That's what I broke off, after I gave up on the vice grips.
I've broken them before (they are VERY brittle) but never on anything this important.

Thanks
ab

That's what I broke off, after I gave up on the vice grips.
I've broken them before (they are VERY brittle) but never on anything this important.

Thanks
ab

Oh shit you broke the head off.
thought it was just stripped.

I got nothing for you now, sorry...

could try one of the things like 'grab-it' i have an extra one lying around i can send you. it supposedly can work without a head....

no promises but worth a shot maybe?

So do you have the rotor off yet? If not get it off, even if you have to grind/drill the other bolt head off. If it is off, you should have a small nub where you may be able to get a good pair of Vice Grips... (not the cheap-o's) and add some heat, get it plenty warm, then twist away. The stock bolts have a blue lock-tight on them and they can be a bear to get out.

Good luck

So do you have the rotor off yet? If not get it off, even if you have to grind/drill the other bolt head off. If it is off, you should have a small nub where you may be able to get a good pair of Vice Grips... (not the cheap-o's) and add some heat, get it plenty warm, then twist away. The stock bolts have a blue lock-tight on them and they can be a bear to get out.

Good luck

not a bad idea if ya can do it..

Thanks for the help, I'm looking for a machine shop.

I have the rotor off and REAL "vice grips" but the machined lip won't let me get a good grip on the nub, even with that POS broke off eas out in it. It broke flush with the nub.

That lock tite is some tuff stuff!! Should have applied heat but didn't want to hurt the paint.

I'm not going to mess with the other one it won't be that much more at the shop.

Thanks all again and I sent vmaxinID a PM so I have 2 options.

ab

Not trying to get off topic here, but why take the rear rotor of an 05 model, Hell I have a 99 and never needed to remove the rotor..

By the time you get done messing around driving around to get vice grips, machine shop,, getting more beer,,, busting your knuckles, burning your hands, pinching the skin on your finger in the vice grips, bruising your palm,, getting more beer, breaking your toe from kicking the wheel across the garage... and IF.......... you do remove it now ya have to get new hardware...Wouldnt it be easier to buy a rear wheel and rotor..:ummm:

Rear wheel.. 25.00
Rotor? Hmm 35.00 ebay?

Not trying to get off topic here, but why take the rear rotor of an 05 model, Hell I have a 99 and never needed to remove the rotor..

By the time you get done messing around driving around to get vice grips, machine shop,, getting more beer,,, busting your knuckles, burning your hands, pinching the skin on your finger in the vice grips, bruising your palm,, getting more beer, breaking your toe from kicking the wheel across the garage... and IF.......... you do remove it now ya have to get new hardware...Wouldnt it be easier to buy a rear wheel and rotor..:ummm:

Rear wheel.. 25.00
Rotor? Hmm 35.00 ebay?

I think the original owner rode with his foot on the pedal, the rotor is WORE OUT, less than 6K miles at the time. Are he had some forward set controls on it and thay may NOT have been adjusted right, they were off when I bought it. Sold to Noxx72.
When I bought it it actually hurt my ears to use the rear brake.
I replaced the pads and that helped for a few hundred miles, now it doesn't hurt my ears it's just embarrassing to stop.

New rotor and pads are on my work bench.

NOW I would really be interested in a $25.00 rim, I just can't find one, but NOW I'm looking.

Thanks
ab

Good luck

+1. Get some penetrating oil on it right away and let it get to work.Then try the above advice. If it still won't budge don't mangle the end of bolt.
Otherwise as mentioned before, get an "easy-out" kit. Drill a hole the correct size to the easy-out (comes with kit) into snapped-off bolt and the easy out "threads" into the hole, then when you reverse the turning (to the right to lossen the bolt) it grabs in. (in theory anyways). I've had pretty good luck in the past. Get the penetrating oil in there and working for you first though. It really helps. And I hope this helps. Mike.

NEVERMIND. APPEARANTELY I MISSED PAGE TWO. I'LL TRY TO WAKE UP FIRST BEFORE GIVING MY TWO CENTS.....

A little bit of weld goes a long way. You'd spend some money on shipping to get it here but I haven't had one yet we couldn't get out.

Sean

A little bit of weld goes a long way. You'd spend some money on shipping to get it here but I haven't had one yet we couldn't get out.

Sean

Good call Morley... welding on the bolt will give you more of an area to clamp on to as well as heat up the bolt without messing up your paint. I'm sure you could find someone local to help you out.

Yep, the weld heat will break the locktite loose and if you have your glove on, when you weld the bolt, stud, rod, etc.... on there you will likely be able to spin it right out by hand while it's still hot.

Surely there is someone around there that can help you out.

Sean

+1. Get some penetrating oil on it right away and let it get to work.Then try the above advice. If it still won't budge don't mangle the end of bolt.
Otherwise as mentioned before, get an "easy-out" kit. Drill a hole the correct size to the easy-out (comes with kit) into snapped-off bolt and the easy out "threads" into the hole, then when you reverse the turning (to the right to lossen the bolt) it grabs in. (in theory anyways). I've had pretty good luck in the past. Get the penetrating oil in there and working for you first though. It really helps. And I hope this helps. Mike.

NEVERMIND. APPEARANTELY I MISSED PAGE TWO. I'LL TRY TO WAKE UP FIRST BEFORE GIVING MY TWO CENTS.....

I didn't think about the penetrating oil, I've had VERY good luck with PB Blaster not sure how it would react to the lock tite.

A friend has pointed me to a machine shop.

Wish me luck
ab

If all the other suggestions fail, you can try what I sometimes do when nothing else works:

Throw a wrench or two as hard as you can accross the garage, swear profusely loudly enough that the neighbors down the block have to decide whether or not to call 911, stomp in the house (still swearing) and tell your wife nothing is wrong, everything is fine, and cool off watching an NCIS rerun or similar TV program with a tall glass of your favorite bev. parked nearby.

Tomorrow always brings a way to fix the problem, leaving me to wonder why I hadn't come across it the day before.

Oh, and is it possible to cut a screwdriver slot into the head of that bolt using a dremel with tiny cutting wheel? I've had to resort to that on a bolt or two over the years.

gool luck.

If all the other suggestions fail, you can try what I sometimes do when nothing else works:

Throw a wrench or two as hard as you can accross the garage, swear profusely loudly enough that the neighbors down the block have to decide whether or not to call 911, stomp in the house (still swearing) and tell your wife nothing is wrong, everything is fine, and cool off watching an NCIS rerun or similar TV program with a tall glass of your favorite bev. parked nearby.

Tomorrow always brings a way to fix the problem, leaving me to wonder why I hadn't come across it the day before.

Oh, and is it possible to cut a screwdriver slot into the head of that bolt using a dremel with tiny cutting wheel? I've had to resort to that on a bolt or two over the years.

gool luck.

Best suggestion so far. :rofl_200:
But I usually don't stop when I stomp in the house OH NO NOT ME
IT'S GOT TO BE HER FAULT!!

ab

Back