Miffed

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvilD

Reaction score
Pulled off my scoops today to start to polish them and, while i knew there was a littel crack inthe right one, i dont' realize it was repaired. I noticed very faint grinder marks below the crack, when i flipped it over there was what was probably some kind of liquid metal stuff. Don't know if it will clean up enough to polish it. Might paint them instead.

Damn, that sux. I hope you can buff it out, but if not a nicely painted one looks great too. Maybe try a chrome powdercoat?
As soon as I get my engine out and shipped I'll be on polishing duty myself. This will be my third season of polishing, shouldn't really take too much work to get them back as good as they are gonna look.

I wanted to polish mine and then have them PC with clear is that any good? Does the powder stick to a polished scoop?

I wanted to polish mine and then have them PC with clear is that any good? Does the powder stick to a polished scoop?
Dunno, thought about that.

Chrome it. bling bling!
Than I'll have really shiny scratches

Messed with them tonight, hit them with 400 wet, than 600 wet, 1500 wet, the scratches are not coming out.

Not sure how bad it is but we have tig welded a few cracked scoops before. Chroming is hit and miss on anything that has been welded up on these since the metal is so porus. If you wanted us to try we can see what we can do.

Sean

Thanks Sean, but it's just not in the budget. And as I said, there is some liquid metla type stuff on it, probably would screw it up welding it.
I've been looking at pics and I'm ok with painted scoops, changes my paint plans thou

Spray-on clear coat might not stick, but I see no reason why PC clear wouldn't work on polished scoops.

I've got a right scoop I'll be happy to send you, if you want it. Got some marks on it from the PO's key ring, but it's yours if you want to take it. I think it would polish out, just fine.

Back