milage pb after jet kit stage 1

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diablotin

Reaction score
Hi guys, hope I can get some help here since I don't know what else to do now.

Since I got my bike I have bad millage, specifically since I almost do only city driving I guess (around 65 miles per tank).

But since I install the full exhaust system and add a DJ stage 1 things are getting worst (53 miles per tank). I didn't drill the slide just used the main, needles and springs.

I tried at first DJ 170 + needles #3 from the top.
Now I'm running DJ 160 + needles #2 from the top but still the millage is still 53 miles per tank.

I'm mostly riding between 3K and 6K RPM at sea level or almost.

Since I had that millage issue already, I don't think it's due to the jet kit itself but maybe I'm wrong.

Any idea where I should take a look ?

The jet kit isn't helping but not all of your problem. Check the float levels. Then install MIKUNI 147.5 mains and retune the needle setting from there.

Sean

I have them or you can get them from online parts houses or your local dealer. They will be "mikuni small round head" when you call and order/get a set.

Sean

Float levels can already have that bad effect on the gaz consumption ?
Since I saw the size of the main jet has no effect so far.

Might take a month before I get the jets online since there's no local dealer around :(
At least If I could solve part of the trouble before installing the 147.5.

with that kind of mileage it sounds like your at the extreme end of the biek barely running? i can't imagine its running well?

Flaot levels have an effect on the entire operation of the carbs. Valve adjustment can also have an effect. You may have too much needle too. Try changing back to the OEM needle and OEM 152.5 jets.

I do sell the jets too for $10 for the set plus shipping ($5).

Sean

are DJ 160's close to Mikuni 152.5's right? if so he should be right around stock? maybe just try going back to needle and keep going leaner until you stumble then richen up one?

Flaot levels have an effect on the entire operation of the carbs. Valve adjustment can also have an effect. You may have too much needle too. Try changing back to the OEM needle and OEM 152.5 jets.

I do sell the jets too for $10 for the set plus shipping ($5).

Sean

You know he's in the Philippines right?

are DJ 160's close to Mikuni 152.5's right? if so he should be right around stock? maybe just try going back to needle and keep going leaner until you stumble then richen up one?

yeah the 160 are almost equivalent to 150 Mikuni.
The DJ needles are more pointed also, but should not be bad.

I come from the stock 152.5, then went to the DJ 170 and adjust back to 160.
I also moved the needles on clip above too after putting the 160.

On all the setup, no change on the consumption. I got exactly the millage.

So you put in the 160'd and adjusted the needle and still get 65 per tank?

Personally I'd run the stock needles and a true Mikuni jet around the 150, 152.5 area and set the needle up a bit with a washer and call it good enough. Where are your idle screws set at?

how many feet are you above sea level?

Sounds to me like you have other carb issues and they need to come out and be dismantled.

Chris

Sounds like float levels are off. The mains really don't effect fuel mileage as much as needle and a/f mix screws do. They do a little but not the major player. i am sure he doesn't even need any extra washers but each bike is different.

I like mikuni's for better consistency of build.

Mailing shouldn't be too much more then that but it might be.

Sean

So you put in the 160'd and adjusted the needle and still get 65 per tank?

Personally I'd run the stock needles and a true Mikuni jet around the 150, 152.5 area and set the needle up a bit with a washer and call it good enough. Where are your idle screws set at?

how many feet are you above sea level?

Sounds to me like you have other carb issues and they need to come out and be dismantled.

Chris

The A/F screw is set to 3.5 turns, I did increase it since I was getting bad idle and slight backfire with the full system.

I'm below 500 feet above the sea level.

Sounds like float levels are off. The mains really don't effect fuel mileage as much as needle and a/f mix screws do. They do a little but not the major player. i am sure he doesn't even need any extra washers but each bike is different.

I like mikuni's for better consistency of build.

Mailing shouldn't be too much more then that but it might be.

Sean
Sean you send me a PM for the cost of a 147.5 set ?

Anny easy way (DIY) to check the float levels ?

There should be pics in the sticky in the carb section. Not sure how much mailing is but we can mail them to you and get payment after. It's $10 plus whatever postage they will want. I can't imagine it to be terrible.

Sean

I got brake switch shipped by letter from guys here it was just few bucks.
So it should be fine :)

I will check in detail the carb section :)

today after refilling the tank, I experienced something new.
The bike is not pulling as before, still feel the vboost but my SV650 was pulling so much more.
The bike is going quickly in the RPM, but no power unless I shift gears.
she doesn't sound mean like yesterday.

Sounds like the trouble I should have experienced with the very bad millage are showing off now. Hard to explain more since I'm not a mechanic :(

Really feel bad to see the baby girl running like shit like a 250cc :(

Back