Mirriors

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had these bar end mirrors for a year or two. They are rock solid, no vibration at any RPM, and I can't remember how many times I have bumped into them in the garage....I have never had to readjust them. Just use a little blue loctight when you finalize the position. They can be mounted 2 different ways as well. The one thing I really like is both mirrors are wide angle. I ride in a lot of traffic and it helps keeping track of whats just behind me.20170207_212912_1486526981184_resized.jpg 20170515_182200_resized.jpg 20170515_182221_resized.jpg

One problem I have encountered with fitting bar end mirrors, not just on the vmax but on other bikes, is that they restrict your ability to manoeuvre the bike around, unless they are fitted underneath. This is especially so with the top heavy gen2 I have found, when your front wheel is on full lock, they clash with your arm.
Anyone else encountered this?

I actually bought the Denali Soundbomb with a specific bracket just for the VMax. I got it from Revzilla and they have either a straight bracket and "l" shaped specific for 2nd Gen. I should have made a video and will post pics later. I actually removed the stock horn and mounted it there. It looks absolutely stock and the sound difference is absolutely incredible. I may need to move the wiring harness, but it still looks awesome. Pics to come!!! I >>>HIGHLY<<< recommend replacing the stock horn with the Denali Soundbomb, straight bracket and wiring harness. I got it all for about $50.

I purchased the Denali horn as well.... it’s super loud!!! Definitely turns heads haha

I have run bar end mirrors(triumph style) for about 5 years now and won't go back to stock. I have good rearward view and they in no way get in the say while riding. What it does make more difficult is pushing it around by not being able to easily slide my hand off the end of the bar and does restrict side to side movement.

Attachments

• 1500979_10202672012388704_718666583_o.jpg
    1500979_10202672012388704_718666583_o.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 28
I too hate view of the stock mirror. Bar ends? I often hang shopping bags off the stock mirrors from small around town "honey do" trips and I don't know if Bar ends are strong enough for that. You tell me. Anybody tried it?

In a perfect world I'd find mirrors that had a driver facing LED. I don't forget to turn them off often, but I always feel like an idiot when I do, and this would be a big improvement. One I'm surprised more folks don't ask for,

I went to bar ends a few years ago. The stock mirrors are horrible. I don't like the look of the bar ends on the bike but it is a safety issue so simply function over form. I bought a cheap set off ebay to try them out and they are still on there and looking good.. Make the jump to the bar ends..

I went to bar ends a few years ago. The stock mirrors are horrible. I don't like the look of the bar ends on the bike but it is a safety issue so simply function over form. I bought a cheap set off ebay to try them out and they are still on there and looking good.. Make the jump to the bar ends..

What he said. I agree.

My $15 solution herein.

Why this:
I didn't want to have to look down to see the mirrors, I didn't want the mirrors too far outside the bar width, and I didn't want to have the bar-end mounts in the way of my hands on-off motion. Not that accomadations can't be made, or that others are wrong, only that for me it wasn't my first choice.

What I bought:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KLOY6GI
/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Results:
1) I'd not realized how I was pulling my head/neck down as shifted my body sideways to see behind me. As it happens I installed only one and took it for a ride. Wow! There isn't a better $15 solution let me tell you. I can now see behind me just by turning my head and looking. I am MUCH happier.

2) Aesthetics isn't perfect, the black is a bit shinier then the rest of the bike trim, but we're talking niggles now.
3) I ditched those stupid black rubber nut cover things, and good riddance.
4) I added a bit of WD-40 to the threads and to the miror ball mounts.
5) I went for a roughly 40 degree forward and to the side sweep (just slightly more sideways than forward).

Pics:

Stock
upload_2019-7-13_17-53-8.png

With extender:
upload_2019-7-13_17-56-48.png

Full view, New vs Old:
upload_2019-7-13_18-2-3.png

What would I change:

1) I wish I'd bought them sooner!
2) I might yet adjust them slightly wider. But I might not too, for they are a huge improvement as is and I don't want to give up too much manuevering room.

Best of luck to all!

- D

Last edited:
A good job on the mirrors, guys. More info and choices is a good thing.

I saw where one rider removed the 'ugly black things' on his mirror stalks. However, if you have an older bike, and your stalks are beginning to rust, here is a cheap way to improve their looks. First, use a wire wheel to remove the rust. Use some spray paint to seal the stem, you can use whatever leftover can color you have laying around. You're just sealing the pitting. Now, remove the nuts so all you have is the bare stalk. Place a piece of heat-shrink tubing over the stalk, and carefully heat it to get it shrunk-to the stem. The stuff comes in many colors, though I think black is compatible with any color of bike. What you're doing is covering-up the corrosion, and preventing it from quickly-returning. It's not particularly flashy like the chrome would be, but it's cheaper than a new mirror pair. You could use the marine heat-shrink tubing, which has a sealant inside the tubing, if you want to get schmancy about it.

Trivia time: where were rear view mirrors first used on internal-combustion wheeled vehicles?

The Indy 500, when they still used mechanics riding in the car with the driver.

Another one: who invented the motorcycle accelerator twistgrip?

Glenn Curtiss, the fastest man on two wheels and in the air, the only person ever to hold that distinction. His self-designed, built, and ridden V-8 Land Speed Record motorcycle is in the Smithsonian. He built the engine to power dirigibles, and decided it would make a good motorcycle powerplant. Final drive was by bevel-gear shaft.

Last edited:
Glenn Curtiss museum is in Hammonds Port, NY about 10 minutes north of bath. Been by it countless times, always wanted to stop and check it out, but never did. There is a plane of his outside as you drive by.

Glen Curtiss's plane was more-sophisticated than the Wrights', but they sued him for years over powered flight. They used 'wing-warping' for flight control, while Curtiss used movable control surfaces, which became the standard. Eventually, after one of the Wrights died, Curtiss and the surviving Wright merged, becoming Curtiss-Wright Aviation.

If any of you guys on 2018 or 2019 Vmax is willing to part with the OEM mirrors after you install bar ends or other, please PM me.
(nothing wrong with the current mirrors on my 2009 but I like the blacked-out look).

Think I'll stick with my Kuryakyn bar end mirrors, expensive - yes, unobstructed rear view - yes, enhanced sexy styling - definitely yes :p

View attachment 69792
Nice, I too went with the Kuryakyn mirrors but have a few questions on the mounting. The 2020 has an end cap with a bolt, do I need to drill out the end of the bars to 7/8" or 5/8"? Is there another method of removing that inner mounting device?

I just removed the existing bar-end weights and the new mirror bolted straight in on my 2015 model

zF1ZVf8.jpg

Back