Mirrors too short

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackVMAX

Reaction score
Just got my 09 VMax and I already hate something about it. I am a fairly huge shoulder guy, those short mirrors have me duckin an leanin to watch for the morons who have "Didn't see Ya" virus in their skulls. I have purchased 2 - 6" x 10mm stainless steel rods (303) for $1.02 ea. before shipping from SmallParts.com P/N: CGSX-M10-06. I am going to cut my own threads at 10mm x 1.25 pitch to match OEM. I tried to find rods that were already chromed and longer but no luck, anyone else have a solution. Just FYI the throttle goes full open in a half turn, hang on very tight.

If you ride fast enough, it doesn't matter what's behind you.

Remember that being a Yamaha, it'll prolly have a reversed thread on one side, and not the one you'd expect.
Sean Morley offers a good chroming service, once you've got your threads cut and everything ready just send the rods to him, sure it can't be that expensive to do a couple of those.

On the 09's there is an adapter that screws into the handlebar clamp, that one on the right side is the lefty thread, but the rod between the adapter and the mirror are rightys. Got them threaded today and I kind of like the SS look, more in line with the brushed beer can look of the scoops. Oh and LMAO about going fast enuf to not care idea. I'll post a pic when I stop long enuf to take one.

I am ashamed to say I didn't see a guy last night stopped at a red light.

It was night - and the light was on a hill / corner. I wasn't speeding, and I was driving responsibly - but the guy was stopped at just the right spot so his tail light looked like thr actual red traffic light - you'd have to see it to understand -

so as I am approaching - I suddenly see the "traffic" light is a lot lower than I thought - and my passenger - at the same moment as I did - said "Holy Shoot! That's a fluffin' bike!!" - and I layed on the brakes pretty heavy. No skidding or anything - but the guy on the bike must have thought we were jerks comin' up on him so fast.

I remember thinking to myself "THAT's how easy it is to miss something so important"

Lil eye opener.

Hope ya'll don't hate on me - but it was close to an optical illusion - I am guessing my brain was looking for a car / truck - and while scanning simply didn't "see" the bike .

*should clarify that nobody was hit during this incident :) *
________
Ford GPA

Last edited:
I understand dude, I've got a trick I use when I am behind a truck or car in day or night conditions that alerts the driver coming up behind me. I use either the foot or right brake lever to "FLASH" the brake light quickly but not to make them think its a turn signal. Usually I keep this up until they come to a stop. They typically keep about a car length away too. I also do the same for the headlight when appraoching an intersection that has cars waiting to pull out at slightest opening in traffic which usually is in front of me, I dont like to tailgate.

I am ashamed to say I didn't see a guy last night stopped at a red light.

It was night - and the light was on a hill / corner. I wasn't speeding, and I was driving responsibly - but the guy was stopped at just the right spot so his tail light looked like thr actual red traffic light - you'd have to see it to understand -

so as I am approaching - I suddenly see the "traffic" light is a lot lower than I thought - and my passenger - at the same moment as I did - said "Holy Shoot! That's a fluffin' bike!!" - and I layed on the brakes pretty heavy. No skidding or anything - but the guy on the bike must have thought we were jerks comin' up on him so fast.

I remember thinking to myself "THAT's how easy it is to miss something so important"

Lil eye opener.

Hope ya'll don't hate on me - but it was close to an optical illusion - I am guessing my brain was looking for a car / truck - and while scanning simply didn't "see" the bike .

*should clarify that nobody was hit during this incident :) *

A great example of why it's always helpful to have the brake on in some manner while stopped.

Back