More Hungarian Customs

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lotsokids

Reaction score
Most of you know that I am an American living in Hungary for the next few years. Things are a lot different here. I thought I would give a few more examples of what I find odd.

- Hungarians push their bicycles everywhere. My kids keep trying to justify them by saying maybe they are tired, but I've never pushed my bike because I was tired. Just pedal slower. My son then said, maybe they don't feel safe riding next to the road. But then I mentioned that they just doubled their width by walking next to their bike! I then started counting bicyclists. The next 7 bicyclists were found in 30 minutes. 5 were pushing their bike, and only 2 were riding it. I find this strange. Just leave the thing at home and go for a walk!

- Bicyclists legally have a right to 1/3 of the lane you are driving in. They know it, too - they won't move over. Many bikes have a brightly colored baby seat with no baby so they don't get run over.

- Reflective vests are "cool" to wear - because it keeps you alive! A co-worker got a ticket and fine from the police for jogging *near* a road without a reflective vest.

- I'm changing the oil (and seals) on my Yamaha FJ1200 forks, and I can't find 10W-30 oil ANYWHERE. I just paid $15 for ONE QUART of 5W-30. The most expensive oil I saw was about $37 PER QUART.

- Fuel is about $7 per gallon. Of course, horse-drawn carts are all over.

- No offices use carbon paper. All documents must be signed in blue ink and stamped. ALWAYS. I just bought a car here, and I could see where they ripped out all the carbon paper on the form they used. I had to sign ALL copies and the seller had to put his stamp on each copy. If it is not signed in blue and does not have a stamp, it is not legal or binding.

- Houses have tile everywhere. I've been here since last November and have not seen carpet in a house yet. That's fine with us - it's much easier to clean!

- Most drinks are kept at room temeperature. Ice is unheard of. Our Hungarian landlords are very nice people, but when they come over and we offer [iced] tea, they specifically ask for no ice.

I do have a great job that I am thankful for, though. :thumbs up:

Thanks for listening... I had to tell someone! :blahblah:

i'm interested in the pushing bicycling thing.

"i'm interested in the pushing bicycling thing."

Are they possibly Harley riders and are so used to pushing them that it just seems natural to push everything with two wheels? :rofl_200:

"i'm interested in the pushing bicycling thing."

Are they possibly Harley riders and are so used to pushing them that it just seems natural to push everything with two wheels? :rofl_200:

HA HA!!! They must be!

Most of you know that I am an American living in Hungary for the next few years. Things are a lot different here. I thought I would give a few more examples of what I find odd.

- Hungarians push their bicycles everywhere. My kids keep trying to justify them by saying maybe they are tired, but I've never pushed my bike because I was tired. Just pedal slower. My son then said, maybe they don't feel safe riding next to the road. But then I mentioned that they just doubled their width by walking next to their bike! I then started counting bicyclists. The next 7 bicyclists were found in 30 minutes. 5 were pushing their bike, and only 2 were riding it. I find this strange. Just leave the thing at home and go for a walk!

- Bicyclists legally have a right to 1/3 of the lane you are driving in. They know it, too - they won't move over. Many bikes have a brightly colored baby seat with no baby so they don't get run over.

- Reflective vests are "cool" to wear - because it keeps you alive! A co-worker got a ticket and fine from the police for jogging *near* a road without a reflective vest.

- I'm changing the oil (and seals) on my Yamaha FJ1200 forks, and I can't find 10W-30 oil ANYWHERE. I just paid $15 for ONE QUART of 5W-30. The most expensive oil I saw was about $37 PER QUART.

- Fuel is about $7 per gallon. Of course, horse-drawn carts are all over.

- No offices use carbon paper. All documents must be signed in blue ink and stamped. ALWAYS. I just bought a car here, and I could see where they ripped out all the carbon paper on the form they used. I had to sign ALL copies and the seller had to put his stamp on each copy. If it is not signed in blue and does not have a stamp, it is not legal or binding.

- Houses have tile everywhere. I've been here since last November and have not seen carpet in a house yet. That's fine with us - it's much easier to clean!

- Most drinks are kept at room temeperature. Ice is unheard of. Our Hungarian landlords are very nice people, but when they come over and we offer [iced] tea, they specifically ask for no ice.

I do have a great job that I am thankful for, though. :thumbs up:

Thanks for listening... I had to tell someone! :blahblah:

Remember: what is odd for You is very normal for the others...

You can always return to Your american dream...soryy gyus, couldt resist...

That was a great read. A lot of things that are normal to other cultures are very strange to us and visa versa. :biglaugh:

Where I live gasoline is around 90 cents a litre!!!pretty close to $5 a gallon!!!!!!And we produce a large percentage of the oil for North America.....funny that our oil is cheaper in your country!!!!!

As I've mentioned before, driving here is MUCH better than the U.S.

Drivers with arrogant or challenging attitudes are extremely rare here. They don't stay in the left lane, either. If I want to pass, most people move to the right (on a 4-lane highway) or give me a signal that it's clear to pass (on a 2-lane road). I wish Americans could figure that out.

Where I live gasoline is around 90 cents a litre!!!pretty close to $5 a gallon!!!!!!And we produce a large percentage of the oil for North America.....funny that our oil is cheaper in your country!!!!!

your beer, wine, whiskey and a few other things are cheaper here to.

Remember: what is odd for You is very normal for the others...

You can always return to Your american dream...soryy gyus, couldt resist...

Don't get me wrong, my company is "taking care of me" and I plan on staying as long as I can. I just wish processes were easier. "That's the way we've always done it" seems to be a prevalent theme here. I wish I didn't need everything stamped. I wish I could pay my phone bills online instead of at the Post Office (yes, you pay all your bills there). Vehicle registration and insurance offices don't take cash, either. You must take your bill from that office to the Post Office, stand in line forever, pay it, then go back to the original office. What a waste of time! It's just that every day I see things that would be much easier, but it won't change for 20 years.

It's interesting because I live in the "country" where my neighbors have never met an American. It is fun to interact with them and do nice things for them. My wife baked some brownies for the neighbors the other day, and they do the same for us. We are being watched, though.

Seriously, I am thankful that I have a job and I love what I do (aircraft mechanic).

I have a good friend taking care of my V-Max back in the U.S. - he takes it out once in a while. I sure miss her!

Being "WATCHED"?????

So it's just like here......:damn angry:

watched? like they spy on you? dude walk outside and take a bite of the juiciest chesseburger ever

watched? like they spy on you? dude walk outside and take a bite of the juiciest chesseburger ever

No, it's not like they are "spying" on us. We are just very different. We leave our lights on and RIDE our bicycles. :biglaugh:

I was teaching my son how to ride a 50cc scooter, and I counted 9 people that came out of their house to see what the Americans are doing.

Enjoy some recent pics I took here in Hungary.

This is the point where the Europeans on this board will say, "Yeah, so?"
And the Americans will say, "WHAT IN THE WORLD???"

I guess this is where they blow up Kawasakis? Where do I send my application?

Kawasaki.jpg

A trailer FULL of bread

Breadtrailer.jpg

Orange cola - "the new american taste"
Strange, I don't remember ever seeing orange cola in the U.S.

American_cola.jpg

How about this pizza - Americans always order pizza with corn on it...

Pizza.jpg

If anyone can define "Non-stop Parking" please let me know.

Parking.jpg

I just took this pic yesterday.
What do you do when you have a stop sign AND a green light?

Stop.jpg

Back