Motor work..

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The DJ 175's aren't actually that big. You can go pretty large. I would swap out to a 167.5 or 170 Mikuni main. Might be able to swap the 170's from under the slides with the 175 djs (approx 166). This will richen up both top and midrange with this swapping around.

Ok,
The heat isn't as bad as I thought it was, I was not thinking but when it got so hot in the garage was when I was "running it in" at 2500rpm; I drained some coolant and added water wetter per Todd's suggestion (thanks Todd!) and it's fine now, cruise is less than 3:00 on the gauge, it'll idle for a while but even with the fan on it wili eventually climb to the red but it takes quite a while. Nothing to be concerned about

I spent all day long playing with the carbs and now have it starting easily and idling smoothly, throttle response is fantastic at any speed at any rpm. Cruise and part throttle is actually rich at 12:1, I think thats a float bowl adjustment or PAJ 2 change, and I need to go up on the mains cause from 7-9k rpm at wot it is holding around 15:1 a/f

It has an annoying infrequent backfire at idle, I've got the idle screws out pretty far so not sure what that's about.

Performance wise it's freaking fantastic; against my better judgement I flailed it pretty hard and it's so much faster and torqueir I don't even know how to put it into words.
In 2nd gear it'll do an all throttle roll on wheelie! Haven't tried third.

The venture 5th gear is awesome too, at 80mph it's turning 4000 rpm.

Very cool! A couple of sizes up on the main though! You could try swapping in #40 pilots to help get more fuel at the bottom end.

Sean

PAJ 1 & 2 stock are 90 & 170 right? I'm not sure?

How do these play into the fuel curve? Do the have the same but overlapping function before the needle setting takes over, is one lower rpm adjustment than the other?
All the literature I've found usually just talks about 1 PAJ, which I know the bigger the leaner on those.

Thanks,

Rusty

Back