Motor work..

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been sitting on all these parts for almost a year, finally got time to do them since I'm taking time off for other reasons.
I can't stand spending 24/7 at the hospital and needed something to take my mind off things, can't sleep anymore anyhow.
I feel guilty spending time on this but what else is there? I can only mow the yard and pay bills so many times.........

I've been sitting on all these parts for almost a year, finally got time to do them since I'm taking time off for other reasons.
I can't stand spending 24/7 at the hospital and needed something to take my mind off things, can't sleep anymore anyhow.
I feel guilty spending time on this but what else is there? I can only mow the yard and pay bills so many times.........

I'm not jealous any more.

That's some good old common sense keeping your mind off worrying like that.
You will never be allowed to sell that bike. Ryan won't let you, because it's her motor now!

I did some research, actually a lot of it; and ported my heads myself.

Slight bowl work and polishing on the exhaust, Intake manifold matching & mild porting on the entire intake front to back except for not removing anything from the short radius floor of the intake.

Also lapped the seats in using the old valves and 320 grit clover compound. Holy shit that carbon ( sure it ain't ceramic?) on the exhaust valves is hard to get off. Took about an hour for each exhaust valve.

Hope I didn't fuck 'em up

Yea, I end up using a brass wire wheel to get that shit off when I need to. It gets on there!

I did some research, actually a lot of it; and ported my heads myself.

Slight bowl work and polishing on the exhaust, Intake manifold matching & mild porting on the entire intake front to back except for not removing anything from the short radius floor of the intake.

Also lapped the seats in using the old valves and 320 grit clover compound. Holy shit that carbon ( sure it ain't ceramic?) on the exhaust valves is hard to get off. Took about an hour for each exhaust valve.

Hope I didn't fuck 'em up

Hey Rusty

Did you take pictures? How about doing a "How to"? Fancy that?

Latest progress, plus some random photos

It's ready to go in this weekend, finally got my shim situation sorted out.
And improvised a setup to do the middle drive gear lash check out.

Somewhere in there there is a poor shot of the chamber work I did, mostly unshrouding the valves. I got better ones of all the head work I will put up later when I get 'em off my camera, these came off my phone

Attachments

• photoihh.jpg
    photoihh.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 35
  • j.jpg
    j.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 34
  • iygv.jpg
    iygv.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 33
  • iuu.JPG
    iuu.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 33
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 33
  • vmnik.jpg
    vmnik.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 38
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 36
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 34
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 37
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 35
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 32
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 28
More

Attachments

• 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 42
  • 17.JPG
    17.JPG
    18.8 KB · Views: 53
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 43
  • 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 40
  • 21.jpg
    21.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 38
  • 26.jpg
    26.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 25.jpg
    25.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 37
  • 24.jpg
    24.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 23.jpg
    23.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 38
  • 20.jpg
    20.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 36
  • 27.jpg
    27.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 28.jpg
    28.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 29.jpg
    29.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 30.jpg
    30.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 35
Excellant Rusty, I can feel the anticipation all the way U.P. here! :thumbs up: :thumbs up: on the maiden thumbing of the starter button!

Long ass day in the garage. Motors in and all the little miscelaneous items complete. Even detailed it.
Installing exhaust and carbs tomorrow and firing it up!

Wish me luck. I hope to post a video of the maiden start.

Well it fired up first try!

Ran it for about 30 minutes and then shut it down, cooled it off, checked the coolant and synched the carbs then took it for a spin.

First analysis. Runs great! Although I don't think DJ 175's are big enough, (how big a main can you run in these carbs?) and I need to go one or more clip position richer (I was on 2nd from blunt end of Stg. 7 needles, went to 3rd position before I started it) and maybe raise the float level some as well. Rolling into the throttle up to 6000 rpm it's staying at around 15:1 a/f ratio, part throttle cruise is fine at about 15-16:1 a/f ratio.

It makes considerably more heat; my old system could idle indefinitely with the fan on and never get to 3:00 on the gauge. This motor requires the fan at low speeds or continuous cruise speed to not just keep climbing. At cruise it stays at 3:00 where my old motor barely made it to 4:00, as is with fan on just idling it continues to climb so sitting in traffic is not an option right now.
Might be investing in a bigger radiator perhaps.

Either the 13:1 compression or the tight motor make it tough to start when hot, I'm guessing tight motor since it starts like a champ when cooled down. My battery and starter are in excellent shape and it is a four pole starter.

No take on performance really, haven't had it past 6000 rpm yet, but down low I can tell its making plenty of torque.

I'll post a video of the start up later

Thanks Sean for all your help, brains and patience throughout this build, much appreciated.

Good job Rusty. There is always that moment of doubt just before pushing that starter button for the first time on a fresh build. Sounds like you are going to be a happy camper! Just a thought, and I have no personal experience with this product, but you may want to try Redine Water Wetter. Many claim to cool the motor by about 20 degrees just by adding this product in the radiator. It may be worth looking into. It might be enough to save you from doing a radiator upgrade. Another option would be a larger fan possibly? For some reason I think I remember reading of a different fan blade that moved more air as well. I think it just had a different pitch on the blades. Happy riding!

Todd

Back