MPG Help

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VMAXXIMUM

Reaction score
I cannot figure out what is going on. I'm only getting 27MPG. Steve O has been helping me try to track down the issue without much luck. I was only getting 25 MPG so we are moving in the right direction. A/F screws have been checked and adj.(by Steve O) I found the PO has shimmed the needles .04" with washers that have now been removed. My bike is running 100% better with much crisper sound and throttle response but still crappy MPG. Anyone with any idea's? I did notice a "puffing" kind of sound when it idles. Other than that the bike seems to be running great to me. It's driving me nuts that I can't figure it out and there doesn't seem to be any major symptom to help narrow the search.

:bang head:

I cannot figure out what is going on. I'm only getting 27MPG. Steve O has been helping me try to track down the issue without much luck. I was only getting 25 MPG so we are moving in the right direction. A/F screws have been checked. I found the PO has shimmed the needles .40 with washers that have now been removed. My bike is running 100% better with much crisper sound and throttle response but still crappy MPG. Anyone with any idea's? I did notice a "puffing" kind of sound when it idles. Other than that the bike seems to be running great to me. It's driving me nuts that I can't figure it out and there doesn't seem to be any major symptom to help narrow the search.

:bang head:

My mileage is 44mpg right now with 152.5 mains,170 pj1 and 90 pj2- stock pipe and cops from gsxr750 and r1 coil wires.
I highly recommend the cops if you don't have them as it helped a ton on power and mileage. K&N single filter.
When you say you removed the washers from the needles i am asuming you do not have stock needles?
That would be the major reason for losing mpg's.

Last edited:
Also your "puffing" sound like too rich at ide and that would be your a/f mixture screws turned out too far--what are they at now?
It would help if you listed the modifications.

Last edited:
I'm running stock main's, the PO put washers on the ends. Stock pipes with slip on Supertrapps. a/f screws are approx. 2 3/4 turns out. When Steve and I checked them they were all screwed up, one was 6 1/2 turns out, the rest were all over the place but none less than 4 turns out. They are all set now. I did also check the vboost butterflies but they are opening and closing fine.

I believe they are stock needles. There are no clip spots and they are 152.5's. This is just driving me crazy.

One thing that might help is changing the main jets to 150's....instead of the 152's

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

I hear you with the MPG. I have 2 bikes. My 90 has muscle jet kit and 4-1 UFO- Fuel light came on at around 72 miles last night. My 95 has 4-2 Holeshot and K&N filter I got 2 weeks ago from a friend, and I still haven't messed with the carbs to find out what has been done. It gets between 72-80 before the light comes on... I am thinking both need smaller main jets to get better MPG. If weather stops raining or being 95* and 50% humidity I might work on them...lol If not I will ride and enjoy the nice hot rides...lol minus the rain..

Trama- I don't remember what size main I said I put in? Messed with electrical way too long. No issues in over a month so I guess I fixed it.

I hear you with the MPG. I have 2 bikes. My 90 has muscle jet kit and 4-1 UFO- Fuel light came on at around 72 miles last night. My 95 has 4-2 Holeshot and K&N filter I got 2 weeks ago from a friend, and I still haven't messed with the carbs to find out what has been done. It gets between 72-80 before the light comes on... I am thinking both need smaller main jets to get better MPG. If weather stops raining or being 95* and 50% humidity I might work on them...lol If not I will ride and enjoy the nice hot rides...lol minus the rain..

Trama- I don't remember what size main I said I put in? Messed with electrical way too long. No issues in over a month so I guess I fixed it.
Glad that it fixed it. The easiest way to get an increase in mileage is to drop the needle 1 clip.

OK. ....I will look thru past emails and see if I can find what the main jets are. Do you know that the plugs are gapped at and when was the last time that they were changed?

You might try increasing the gaps to .035. The bigger the spark, the better fuel is burned.

Lots to check here. +1 on the plugs Eric. I like to eliminate compression issues as a cause. The bike does run decent. Then there is a matter of the last guy in the carbs and where the floats are set. A/ f is in the balll park. Best bet might be to put a set of known good carbs on, and go riding. I just happen to have them in a box Christian. We'll get it licked.
Steve-o

I'm running stock main's, the PO put washers on the ends. Stock pipes with slip on Supertrapps. a/f screws are approx. 2 3/4 turns out. When Steve and I checked them they were all screwed up, one was 6 1/2 turns out, the rest were all over the place but none less than 4 turns out. They are all set now. I did also check the vboost butterflies but they are opening and closing fine.

Stock airbox with stock filter? Again the cops (total cost $25) and a single K&N raised my fuel mileage to 44mpg. I rode 88 miles then stopped and could only get 2 gallons in it.We are running the same main jets same a/f turns out, i have stock pipes with 8 5/16 holes drilled. You have the advantage of tuning the exhaust.
I ran supertrapps for 20 years and you can take one plate at a time for tuning.

I really appreciate the time you all have taken to help me. I will check the float levels next. The huffing sound is coming out of the right exhaust. Dragmaxster suggested it might be a rich a/f setting but when I checked the plugs after idling for 5 to 10 minutes they looked pretty lean to me.

Can wet float level be check with connecting a clear line and putting it next to the marks on the carbs? Or do you need a special connector to do this? I am thinking why pull the bowls if you can just do a wet check?

Back